Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Yes, scaling factors other than 2x are very likely the cause for slightly laggy UI. With proper 2x scaling, which is the ideal setting for the Ultrafine, you should be good to go.

Thanks,

I ordered my MM with 16gigs ram just to be sure.

MikeGS3

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
London, England
Since you're currently running a 1440p display at a scaled, non-native resolution crispness probably isn't a priority for you. Nevertheless I'd recommend a 4k / 27" inch display - they are affordable, much sharper than your current configuration which is helpful when eyesight is a concern and most importantly at the recommend 2x scaling everything will look as large as 1920x1080, which will be slightly larger than your current setup, but still comparable and, again, much, much sharper.
My only concern with that would be screen real estate - both in your current and my proposed setup it's rather limited, particularly for dense DAW interfaces. I'd consider a dual monitor setup, which you could add later.

You didn't give a resolution for your 34" screen, but I guess it's 4k, which would feature a pixel density / sizing similar to 1440p at 27". That means sizing and sight will again be a problem. I can only recommend that you avoid scaling (except 2x) - it will look blurry and strains your system resources. 4K at 27" seems much more suitable for you.

Hi thirdsun

Thanks for your reply. I’m pretty unfamiliar with all the new monitor tech, and terminology. So don’t really know what resolution I would want a 34inch monitor to be, but yeah probably 4K. Sharpness is important but readability even more so. So if I wanted to go larger than 27inch, what’s the next best size up?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Hi thirdsun

Thanks for your reply. I’m pretty unfamiliar with all the new monitor tech, and terminology. So don’t really know what resolution I would want a 34inch monitor to be, but yeah probably 4K. Sharpness is important but readability even more so. So if I wanted to go larger than 27inch, what’s the next best size up?
People seem to like 32in monitors for 4K. What I'd do is get two 4K monitors and run them at 2X scaling ('looks like 1080p mode'). Then you have two monitors that are super crisp and the UI is a good size (some may argue too big, but you have two monitors, so unlikely an issue). With this scaling, the GPU load is much less and providing you have 16GB of RAM, you will be good to go.

Reactions: MikeGS3

thirdsun

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
Hi thirdsun

It doesn't work like that. Sizing, readability and sharpness are not determined by size of the display alone. You always have to consider size and pixel count, as well as scaling. So a 34" display at 4k resolution will actually render everything a bit smaller than your current 27" display at 2560x1440, which is already too small for you, which is why you resort to scaling and lose crispness. You want a combination that offers larger sizing than that. A 4K / 27" display seems like a good solution for you since it will use the recommended 2x scaling and display like a 1920x1080 resolution, but on that very fine 4k pixel grid (4k = 3840x2160 / 2 = 1920x1080) and therefore much, much sharper. It offer high pixel density which is great for readability and provides sizing that is similar to your current scaling.
[doublepost=1546114123][/doublepost]
People seem to like 32in monitors for 4K. What I'd do is get two 4K monitors and run them at 2X scaling ('looks like 1080p mode'). Then you have two monitors that are super crisp and the UI is a good size (some may argue too big, but you have two monitors, so unlikely an issue). With this scaling, the GPU load is much less and providing you have 16GB of RAM, you will be good to go.

I'd say 4K at 32" scaled to 2x is too large, but if @MikeGS3 really needs that size, sure, go ahead. 4K at 27" scaled to 2x is already too large for many people and should be the sweet spot if eyesight or distance is a concern. Plus, the displays with those specs are much more affordable, which is relevant for a dual screen setup.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I'd say 4K at 32" scaled to 2x is too large, but if @MikeGS3 really needs that size, sure, go ahead. 4K at 27" scaled to 2x is already too large for many people and should be the sweet spot if eyesight or distance is a concern. Plus, the displays with those specs are much more affordable, which is relevant for a dual screen setup.

True. I think 2x scaling is slightly too big, but the next one too small so I just stick with it. With two monitors it's perfectly good for me.

open0

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Don't give up ! My Mac Mini 2018 core i3, 8 G RAM makes pair with Dell U2718Q 4K monitor perfectly with native resolutions. All I had to do was making scale to see everything bigger , let it look like 2560 x 1440 as picture attached here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 7.52.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 7.52.43 PM.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Don't give up ! My Mac Mini 2018 core i3, 8 G RAM makes pair with Dell U2718Q 4K monitor perfectly with native resolutions. All I had to do was making scale to see everything bigger look like 2560 x 1440 as picture attached here

I just got the LG 27MU88-W 27" 16:9 4K FreeSync IPS Monitor yesterday, and is there anything I can do to have my screen at full potential 4k without having tiny ant words where I can't barely read? Current setting is same as yours scaled down to 2560 x 1440.

Reactions: open0

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I just got the LG 27MU88-W 27" 16:9 4K FreeSync IPS Monitor yesterday, and is there anything I can do to have my screen at full potential 4k without having tiny ant words where I can't barely read? Current setting is same as yours scaled down to 2560 x 1440.
You are using all the pixels at a full 4k size. The only option is to zoom in on individual apps like safari, word, excel etc

Reactions: olekzap

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
You are using all the pixels at a full 4k size. The only option is to zoom in on individual apps like safari, word, excel etc
So I guess I should have just buy the apple thunderbolt display with a lower resolutions. Now I don’t see the point to have a 4k display and not using it at the fullest.

open0

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
The fact, if U want to see as normal as its is in 1080p monitor, U should use a 34 or 43 inch 4K monitor :D

Reactions: Miat and Synchro3

thirdsun

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
So I guess I should have just buy the apple thunderbolt display with a lower resolutions. Now I don’t see the point to have a 4k display and not using it at the fullest.

The point is sharpness and you‘re using all of those 4k pixels regardless of your scaling setting. Of course you theoretically can use all those pixels without scaling, but of course that is pretty much unreadable, which should be very obvious if you just imagine having that high pixel count in a frame that used to show 2560x1440 px.

So, the point is sharpness, crispness and superior text rendering, not more screen real estate.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
On Retina MacBooks and iMacs, there is an option to change text size without changing resolution.

I know it says "Larger text" but that's just a visual cue. That control shown in the screenshot is a resolution chooser.

Is there no such setting on high DPI displays, such as 4K, 5K...etc?

There are, exactly the same in fact. But again, it's just to choose a different resolution.

In Mojave if you hover over the five choices (as shown in the left window below, despite the cursor not showing) it shows a little message with the details ("Looks like X x Y")
Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 13.39.08.png

Reactions: Miat and Synchro3

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I know it says "Larger text" but that's just a visual cue. That control shown in the screenshot is a resolution chooser.

There are, exactly the same in fact. But again, it's just to choose a different resolution.

In Mojave if you hover over the five choices (as shown in the left window below, despite the cursor not showing) it shows a little message with the details ("Looks like X x Y") View attachment 813629
So, it is basically resolution changer for those who simply do not know what changing resolution will do? Got it.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
So, it is basically resolution changer for those who simply do not know what changing resolution will do? Got it.
Essentially, yes.

It's weird that the "Larger Text.... More Space" thing doesn't show for me.
That's the 'traditional' resolution selector. I believe you hold down Option to get that when clicking "Scaled". It provides more choices than the visual chooser.

Reactions: Duncan68

TVreporter

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Quick question: What do people use for a web cams as it seems all the monitor recommendations I see don’t feature a webcam... would like one to continue using FaceTime if I go the Mini route

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Quick question: What do people use for a web cams as it seems all the monitor recommendations I see don’t feature a webcam... would like one to continue using FaceTime if I go the Mini route
My understanding is that macOS/FaceTime will work with most USB webcams. I’d probably stick to a reputable brand like Logitech or similar, but generic ones may be fine too if they support UVC.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Just another 2018 mini user here - running two screens, and I can safely say that moving up from 8GB RAM clearly improves the macOS GUI. (I added 2x16GB).

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

In Mojave if you hover over the five choices (as shown in the left window below, despite the cursor not showing) it shows a little message with the details ("Looks like X x Y") View attachment 813629
How does the P2415Q look?
I already have Ultrafine waiting for me, but was seriously considering the Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.