Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tell us more about how you use your phone without activating it with a SIM card.

Google sells your data for ads. Android wouldn't be profitable without it. Apple gets its money elsewhere and is not interested in selling its customers' data.

That's the difference. With Google, your data escapes Google's possession, whereas with Apple, it doesn't.

I'll never stop finding it hilarious how Google-colored your nose is sometimes

Google doesn't sell data, they sell ad space based on the data they gather. -_-

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Settings -> Google -> personal info & privacy -> activity controls -> web & app activity -> off
[doublepost=1492255677][/doublepost]

(App usage)
Ios settings -> privacy -> diagnostics and usage -> automatically send

(Gps tracking)
Ios settings -> privacy -> location services -> system services -> frequent locations

"Find my iphone" will send Apple your location periodically and before it powers down.

^- looks like Apple does the same.
Thank you, went ahead and disabled it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Good old Google. I've noticed this too, since I have an Android tablet and sometimes use Chrome on desktop as well as on mobile devices. It's only trying to be helpful, but I totally get being creeped out by what you find. It's quite frankly amazing what Google knows about us.

Reactions: Fernandez21

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You're answering the wrong question. It was about anonymity. There is no such things as anonymous. If you want to use an android phone without google, your carrier will still know every website you browse. You cannot get your gmail, you cannot get updates, etc. Running an android phone without google, makes no sense to me, but I suppose people will do what people will do. I trust apple more than the carriers and have no problem giving up my apple id to apple when I activate a new phone. At least it's not a crippled phone.
I May be wrong on this but you can use a VPN to mask your traffic from the carriers. And this is completely unrelated to which OS is mor e privacy conscious

I don't use Gmail myself. I use outlook but Android allows me to setup a Microsoft account without a Google account. I use apks to install apps amd I don't need a store. On iOS you have to setup an AppleID with your credit card info before Apple even allows you to enter the OS. That's restrictive.

The conspiracy theorists don't though. And according to them, there's a massive amount of data being collected without consent, and this would apply to android also.
Microsoft just proved the conspiracy theorists were right if you check out how much telemetry and all sorts of data is sent with Windows 10. Even disabling all the privacy options doesn't prevent the data from being sent .

Yes it could happen on Android but due to the ability of being able to setup an Android without an account they cant tailor the ads or whatever to me personally
[doublepost=1492401851][/doublepost]
Apple wishes he had, too bad they dropped the ball on that so hard it broke the floor.
People can talk about privacy options all they want but the fact of the matter is that all of Google's services bar Allo are better than Apple and their data collection policies are a reason for it

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Microsoft just proved the conspiracy theorists were right if you check out how much telemetry and all sorts of data is sent with Windows 10. Even disabling all the privacy options doesn't prevent the data from being sent
Proving the "conspiracy" right means it's not a conspiracy but the truth. Shame on Microsoft, but that still doesn't prove anything about any other company.

Yes it could happen on Android but due to the ability of being able to setup an Android without an account they cant tailor the ads or whatever to me personally
[doublepost=1492401851][/doublepost]
People can talk about privacy options all they want but the fact of the matter is that all of Google's services bar Allo are better than Apple and their data collection policies are a reason for it
I don't remember setting up any iPhone requiring a credit card hooked to an Apple ID. My first iPhone I "refused" to enter a credit card and I was able to activate it.

But again why would you buy an android device and not setup google, especially a 900 device? It's basically crippled.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You have to agree to Apple's rules (terms of service) to get an apple id, you need an apple id to use a ios device. So if you dont consent, you can't use the device.
[doublepost=1492362734][/doublepost]

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/428053/wiping-away-your-siri-fingerprint/

Apple says they keep them for 2 years and it is a recording of your voice, not the converted text they keep.

A voice print is like a finger print and can ID you uniquely. Siri also uploads your contact list and location and song list on your phone. Apple says they dont link the voice samples to your apple id, but if i was a hacker or government, i can combine that data to id you (ex: contact list will show "mom" as having ph # 555-1111 and you're located in L.A., not hard for government to figure out).
I read that link and while this is not related to the thread, this leaped out at me for reasons I'll explain why in a moment:

"Siri’s voice recognition works like this: you speak a question or request, and the voice recording is sent to an Apple server. There, the recording is broken down in a process called feature extraction, which numerically transforms the sound wave and pulls out relevant features. These are run through a speech recognition engine to interpret what you are saying and render it into text. Siri then uses resources that may include the Internet, your contact list (“Call Dad”), or your location (“Where is the nearest Thai food?”) to respond to your need."

Something about that process has gotten slowed down. Siri used to work pretty well for me and now it is like communicating with my mom or father-in-law without their hearing aids in. They are both in their 80's, don't hear well and just a little bit slower to give you an answer to what they do hear. Just as I'm a little bit slower to hear well and answer to comments now than when I was 30.

Well now Siri is acting like she's aged in dog's years. I tested the mic functionality and that aspect is fine. Goodness knows our iPhone 7Plus has the processing power and speed, so that can't be it. Apple has got a bottleneck somewhere on their end of it, I guess. I hope they figure out how to make more of Siri work locally on our phones.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
This puts to rest the false claims that Apple respect your privacy. They don't. Ironically, Google do. With Android you have the freedom to choose between anonymity or the most intelligent services by sharing your data.
You have zero idea what you're talking about. None.

Reactions: I7guy

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If you use google, you have consented to all of this and they may use the data any way they wish. The can even read your emails.

That's why Siri and Apple services are so dumb. It's like hiring a personal secretary without letting the person answer calls on your behalf, access calendar, email, etc.

Google Voice/Hangouts already does a pretty good job of filtering telemarketers but I'd give it more authority to harass scammers like the new spoofing electric utility number and threatening to shut off electricity unless you pay scam I'm getting today.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's why Siri and Apple services are so dumb. It's like hiring a personal secretary without letting the person answer calls on your behalf, access calendar, email, etc.

Google Voice/Hangouts already does a pretty good job of filtering telemarketers but I'd give it more authority to harass scammers like the new spoofing electric utility number and threatening to shut off electricity unless you pay scam I'm getting today.
So now choice is "dumb"?

DoctorDoctor

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
And allows you to review and delete them at any time. It is always a little disconcerting to see how often my family and our friends troll it with questions about woodchucks, poop, farts, burps, and Star Wars. Poor Alexa gets it the worst because she's in the standalone Echo right in the kitchen, and is frequently asked to play polkas, songs by The Village People, and 70's ballads as a means of tormenting each other, but I can't see or delete those queries, unfortunately. The same goes for Siri.

I am happy with the level of control I'm given over the data that is collected. At least I can see pretty much all of it. This means I do have to safeguard my log in.

You can see and delete Alexa queries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602040

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.