Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It doesn't mean it's bad either, if it does what I want it to do. Which is the entirety of the conversation between what android "can do" vs what the iphone "can do".

Toddlers can also learn to respond to stock phrases. Clearly genius level.

Edit: All of them are dumb.

Reactions: I7guy

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Proving the "conspiracy" right means it's not a conspiracy but the truth. Shame on Microsoft, but that still doesn't prove anything about any other company.
The point is you cant trust any of these companies. Microsoft is not in the ad business yet they track you on Windows. Just because you cant see extra buttons on iOS doesn't mean those are the only 2 master switches which stop data from being sent

I don't remember setting up any iPhone requiring a credit card hooked to an Apple ID. My first iPhone I "refused" to enter a credit card and I was able to activate it.
My first iPhone I recall entering the credit card and no skip option was here. Maybe wrong on that one but you still cant enter the OS without agreeing to Apple's terms

But again why would you buy an android device and not setup google, especially a 900 device? It's basically crippled.

How is it crippled? If I don't setup a Google account I can download apks for apps. I can use Outlook as my email client. I can use Tugabrowser as my default browser.Evernote for notes. HERE maps for navigation etc

The statement makes no sense otherwise you wouldn't be able to say: "tell mom I'll be home in 10 minutes".
Google now on my iPhone fetches articles based on my Google searches and not irrelevant news like in spotlight. Google Now tells me the fastest route home when I am at my work place in advance. When I buy something on Amazon my shipment info is front and center on the dashboard. On Android Google now on tap is amazing. When I receive an email about a restaurant Now on Tap immediately brings up the phone number and timings of the restaurant. Google knows what I want in advance and Siri doesn't.

Being able to respond to generic queries like texting and calling is nothing great. I recall doing that using Microsoft tellme on Windows phone 7

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The point is you cant trust any of these companies. Microsoft is not in the ad business yet they track you on Windows. Just because you cant see extra buttons on iOS doesn't mean those are the only 2 master switches which stop data from being sent
Who said anything about trust? And by the same token it doesn't mean PII is being sent, without your consent, that's not required to run the phone or IOS.

My first iPhone I recall entering the credit card and no skip option was here. Maybe wrong on that one but you still cant enter the OS without agreeing to Apple's terms
You don't have to enter a credit card today.

How is it crippled? If I don't setup a Google account I can download apks for apps. I can use Outlook as my email client. I can use Tugabrowser as my default browser.Evernote for notes. HERE maps for navigation etc
Because you can't take advantage of the apps that can take advantage of the google ecosystem. Do you know anyone who buys an android device and doesn't sign up for a google account? The few people I know who own androids all have google accounts.

Google now on my iPhone fetches articles based on my Google searches and not irrelevant news like in spotlight. Google Now tells me the fastest route home when I am at my work place in advance. When I buy something on Amazon my shipment info is front and center on the dashboard. On Android Google now on tap is amazing. When I receive an email about a restaurant Now on Tap immediately brings up the phone number and timings of the restaurant. Google knows what I want in advance and Siri doesn't.
I don't want articles based on my searches, I want articles based on preferences I input. As far as navigation, apple maps routes me and informs me of traffic. There is nothing special about google maps. Heck, my car navigation even does that. I don't buy from Amazon and I have no issues using Siri for my own use cases and at least Siri can control my phone.

Being able to respond to generic queries like texting and calling is nothing great. I recall doing that using Microsoft tellme on Windows phone 7
Right, so basically google now and siri both can do things that competitors could do years ago.

Last edited:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I work for a major wireless carrier in the U.S. as a customer care/tech rep in a call center. You don't want to know how much info we can see about your phone. For almost all Android phones we can see every app you have installed, current battery level, last time you power cycled your device, data usage per app, whether wifi and Bluetooth are toggled on/off etc.

For iOS its a touch more limited unless we launch a specific diagnostics sharing in Settings with the customer, but we still see quite a bit.

Always awkward when someone is concerned about high data usage and they've burned through several GB of Tinder in the current month. Like... maybe you should stop swiping. Also, are you SURE you want to add your wife as an authorized user to your account today so she can talk to us about the account?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I work for a major wireless carrier in the U.S. as a customer care/tech rep in a call center. You don't want to know how much info we can see about your phone. For almost all Android phones we can see every app you have installed, current battery level, last time you power cycled your device, data usage per app, whether wifi and Bluetooth are toggled on/off etc.

That is because of preinstalled apps from the carrier like "carrier iq".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_IQ

Best to get an unlocked phone

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

For iOS its a touch more limited unless we launch a specific diagnostics sharing in Settings with the customer, but we still see quite a bit.

Always awkward when someone is concerned about high data usage and they've burned through several GB of Tinder in the current month. Like... maybe you should stop swiping. Also, are you SURE you want to add your wife as an authorized user to your account today so she can talk to us about the account?

Which is exactly why all my phones are unlocked

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Well it isn't always preloaded software that does it. For example, it comes in on BYODs if you install our app to pay your bill and manage your account. I'm sure that's true for the other members of the "big 4" as well.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
SmartSelectImage_2017-04-22-15-19-52.png

Looks like I don't have to worry either.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well it isn't always preloaded software that does it. For example, it comes in on BYODs if you install our app to pay your bill and manage your account. I'm sure that's true for the other members of the "big 4" as well.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. With Apple scrutiny on increasing privacy apps can't waltz in and start to pick up sensitive informations. Else all apps would be doing this. Even though carrier updates don't go through the App Store, I don't think the big 4 are stupid enough to risk a huge PR fiasco.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I wouldn't be too sure of that. With Apple scrutiny on increasing privacy apps can't waltz in and start to pick up sensitive informations. Else all apps would be doing this. Even though carrier updates don't go through the App Store, I don't think the big 4 are stupid enough to risk a huge PR fiasco.

Uber already tracks you 5 minutes after you complete a ride on an iPhone and doesn't state what it does with that information. Even Facebook was misusing iOS apis some years back to spy on users on an iPhone

There is always a way out no matter the OS

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Uber already tracks you 5 minutes after you complete a ride on an iPhone and doesn't state what it does with that information. Even Facebook was misusing iOS apis some years back to spy on users on an iPhone

There is always a way out no matter the OS
You agreed to Uber's t and c and Apple closed a lot of misuse of apis a while back. Don't want uber to track you turn off location services. They wouldn't be stupid enough to have their app pulled by violating App Store t and c.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You agreed to Uber's t and c and Apple closed a lot of misuse of apis a while back. Don't want uber to track you turn off location services. They wouldn't be stupid enough to have their app pulled by violating App Store t and c.
When I signed up for Uber it wasnt tracking location behind the scenes and they allowed me to set location services to "Track only while using the app" in iOS OS settings. They removed that option with the new app and now you can only set to "use location always" or "never" and disabling location services renders the app useless. It doesnt allow you to manually pinpoint the location. It just refuses to let you use their service. Are you implying that their terms allow them to do whatever they want in future updates?

Apple didnt clsoe the APIs iirc. Facebook just stopped using them once they got caught.

@bold FB was misusing the APIs yet nothing happened. Apple cant afford to remove the big name apps from the store so the companies can do anything

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When I signed up for Uber it wasnt tracking location behind the scenes and they allowed me to set location services to "Track only while using the app" in iOS OS settings. They removed that option with the new app and now you can only set to "use location always" or "never" and disabling location services renders the app useless. It doesnt allow you to manually pinpoint the location. It just refuses to let you use their service. Are you implying that their terms allow them to do whatever they want in future updates?

Apple didnt clsoe the APIs iirc. Facebook just stopped using them once they got caught.

@bold FB was misusing the APIs yet nothing happened. Apple cant afford to remove the big name apps from the store so the companies can do anything
I don't use uber, but you can still stop the app by closing the app in the task manager and disable BAR.

Apple did some internal work and made some apis unavailable.

Apple can go whatever it wants, big name apps need the app store.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Apple did some internal work and made some apis unavailable.

FB was playing "silient audio" to keep their app running in the background. Apple did nothing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
FB was playing "silient audio" to keep their app running in the background. Apple did nothing.
I remember that, they were misusing a legitmate api to do something else. Not sure what apple should do, not even sure they can pick it up in their automated scans of sending apps to the app store. I was not referring to using a legimate api, I wa referring to using an api that is internal to the developers though, similar to f-lux.

However, enough bad battery life attributions to facebook, caused a change to the app.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don't use uber, but you can still stop the app by closing the app in the task manager and disable BAR.
That doesn't stop the background tracking

Background app refresh never stops the app from running.

Just found how they pulled a Facebook on this one
"The profile covers a variety of different things about Uber and is well worth a read, but the most startling tidbit of information is just how far Uber went in trying to trick Apple engineers. What Uber wanted to do was assign a persistent identity to iPhones with a small piece of code, better referred to as “fingerprinting.” This tactic, however, is in complete violation of Apple’s rules as the company believes a device should offer no trace of the owner’s identify after being erased.

Here’s how Uber maneuvered around these rules:

So Mr. Kalanick told his engineers to “geofence” Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., a way to digitally identify people reviewing Uber’s software in a specific location. Uber would then obfuscate its code from people within that geofenced area, essentially drawing a digital lasso around those it wanted to keep in the dark. Apple employees at its headquarters were unable to see Uber’s fingerprinting."

Well I was wrong at least in Uber. Talk about coincidence, Tim Cook threatened Uber CEO to remove the app from the store

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/23/tim-...emove-uber-from-the-app-store-in-ceo-meeting/

But Facebook still got away with it

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That doesn't stop the background tracking

Background app refresh never stops the app from running.

Just found how they pulled a Facebook on this one
"The profile covers a variety of different things about Uber and is well worth a read, but the most startling tidbit of information is just how far Uber went in trying to trick Apple engineers. What Uber wanted to do was assign a persistent identity to iPhones with a small piece of code, better referred to as “fingerprinting.” This tactic, however, is in complete violation of Apple’s rules as the company believes a device should offer no trace of the owner’s identify after being erased.

Here’s how Uber maneuvered around these rules:

So Mr. Kalanick told his engineers to “geofence” Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., a way to digitally identify people reviewing Uber’s software in a specific location. Uber would then obfuscate its code from people within that geofenced area, essentially drawing a digital lasso around those it wanted to keep in the dark. Apple employees at its headquarters were unable to see Uber’s fingerprinting."

Well I was wrong at least in Uber. Talk about coincidence, Tim Cook threatened Uber CEO to remove the app from the store

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/23/tim-...emove-uber-from-the-app-store-in-ceo-meeting/

But Facebook still got away with it
I didn't know about it, but good for Apple they were looking out for its customers. My comment was a general comment btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.