Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
How is the quality as an actual phone? I'm not really in the market for one since I do have 3 excellent Android phones already but I'm still very interested in the quality that can be gotten for this price point. If I ever catch a stunning discount on it I might pick one up to play around with, poke around in it more than I would with a phone I rely on for daily stuff.
I use my current Androids too much to experiment with them too much.

I'm having a bad day. And I'm dismayed by my expensive iPhone. My husband paid through the nose for the top of the line specs on this one and so far we've had two phone calls between his iPhone 7 Plus and mine and I could barely make out what he was saying. The other day we experimented with VoLTE and AirPods and calls between iPhones and Samsungs and every combination and setting and type of call we could think of and eventually our connection between the iPhones was bell clear and perfect. But that initial call was garbage.

So, today, my dog was sick. Poor thing needed to be hosed down outdoors--fortunately it's a hot day and the dog likes water. And she needed it...major mess. Bedding had to be thrown out, the whole works. She's older and has a delicate digestion like my previous dog had when he got about this age. Once something upsets it, that's it for a few days, I'm on doggy nurse duty. We just deal.

I had to call my husband for instructions to locate and turn on a water valve to the back yard, since it was shut off during the winter and we have a mess of valves going everywhere. So there I was stressed and under the gun to get everything under control and try and get instructions from my husband to make sense of the plumbing maze in front of me.

We had the most ridiculously garbled connection. It was clear in the sense that there was no static or anything like that. And if he talked for a couple of words at a time like "Hi honey, what's up" it was fine. But when he had to launch into detailed instructions it sounded like "blurp blurp valve blurp garble wall pop blurb garble". I complained and my husband put in his AirPods and then I could understand him better. Then we face timed and that was just so sad. There was such lag. Phones this expensive should be clearer than that especially with full bars of signal strength and usually great connections on my other phones.

90% of the time my iPhone 7 Plus is aces at what I need it to do. But when I need to actually talk on it, dammit, I need to actually talk on it. Is that too much to ask? /rant ;)

So yeah, I'm massively curious about how a phone half the price of mine functions as an actual bleep blurp phone.

AT&T is the carrier, right? Have they given you a signal booster at all? If that doesn't help, it's definitely the crappy Intel modems Apple uses if it's an AT&T iPhone model. That's why I am done with the iPhone for the foreseeable future. I got rid of mine intel modem T-Mobile model since it's pure crap with call quality.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
AT&T is the carrier, right? Have they given you a signal booster at all? If that doesn't help, it's definitely the crappy Intel modems Apple uses if it's an AT&T iPhone model. That's why I am done with the iPhone for the foreseeable future. I got rid of mine intel modem T-Mobile model since it's pure crap with call quality.
Definitely AT&T phone service, but we got the unlocked version that should have the Qualcomm modem, I think. The model is MN4E2LL/A

Yeah I just double checked and it's not the Intel modem. I don't know what's going on. Next few calls I make to hubby will be on my S7 and I'll see if it's still crap. I might also need to see if that last call was as over wifi. For wifi we have Verizon.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Sorry to hear about your woes - things will turn around soon enough.

Call quality is very good in my experience. At least on the OP3 (not 3T although they're essentially the same in this department).

I also have a 7 Plus as my main device and that's been on par. I've tested both across the different networks and couldn't fault either.

And yep, price disparity is hard to get over. In my case, I picked up the OP3 as it was too cheap to pass up - £140 albeit used is a good deal. When I compare that to the £1,000+ iPhone (256gb with AppleCare) it does raise a question or two...

Reactions: JaySoul and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry to hear about your woes - things will turn around soon enough.

Call quality is very good in my experience. At least on the OP3 (not 3T although they're essentially the same in this department).

I also have a 7 Plus as my main device and that's been on par. I've tested both across the different networks and couldn't fault either.

And yep, price disparity is hard to get over. In my case, I picked up the OP3 as it was too cheap to pass up - £140 albeit used is a good deal. When I compare that to the £1,000+ iPhone (256gb with AppleCare) it does raise a question or two...
Yes, it definitely gets me thinking about the future of my budget expenditures. I can afford "whatever" right now but we are just a few short years away from having a kid start college while we start living on retirement income. We've already had a few medical expenses for ourselves that add up past what insurance covered. I'm starting to think about going back to my frugal roots and getting a sense of where this market is heading. Of course even just two years from now who knows who the key players will be and what the best options will have to offer.

Thanks for answering my question.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Definitely AT&T phone service, but we got the unlocked version that should have the Qualcomm modem, I think. The model is MN4E2LL/A

Yeah I just double checked and it's not the Intel modem. I don't know what's going on. Next few calls I make to hubby will be on my S7 and I'll see if it's still crap. I might also need to see if that last call was as over wifi. For wifi we have Verizon.

Might want to sell the phone or seek a replacement asap if you haven't. And sorry to hear about your dog. Hope she gets better soon. I went through 4 before that was the last straw. Now, I am stuck with an Apple Watch that I will be selling shortly.
[doublepost=1487976180][/doublepost]
Yes, it definitely gets me thinking about the future of my budget expenditures. I can afford "whatever" right now but we are just a few short years away from having a kid start college while we start living on retirement income. We've already had a few medical expenses for ourselves that add up past what insurance covered. I'm starting to think about going back to my frugal roots and getting a sense of where this market is heading. Of course even just two years from now who knows who the key players will be and what the best options will have to offer.

Thanks for answering my question.

I am not in a similar situation, but student loans are a bitch, especially when the market demands a masters degree or better. Tight control on spending is key regardless of socio-economics and demographics. I don't want to get into a rant about income inequality issues, medical expenses, etc. The important thing is to find something that works, you like, and could be effective long term. As nice as some iOS features are, a lot of their devices are overpriced. $1000 usd starting price for an OLED experience iPhone? I'll pass big time. Looking at the 2016 MBP with Touchbar goes to show this Apple isn't up to Jobs' standards. It's gimmicks, profit maximization, apathy, and a decrease in product quality. The only iPhone somewhat reasonably priced is the SE.

Reactions: dsr2 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Might want to sell the phone or seek a replacement asap if you haven't. And sorry to hear about your dog. Hope she gets better soon. I went through 4 before that was the last straw. Now, I am stuck with an Apple Watch that I will be selling shortly.
[doublepost=1487976180][/doublepost]

I am not in a similar situation, but student loans are a bitch, especially when the market demands a masters degree or better. Tight control on spending is key regardless of socio-economics and demographics. I don't want to get into a rant about income inequality issues, medical expenses, etc. The important thing is to find something that works, you like, and could be effective long term. As nice as some iOS features are, a lot of their devices are overpriced. $1000 usd starting price for an OLED experience iPhone? I'll pass big time. Looking at the 2016 MBP with Touchbar goes to show this Apple isn't up to Jobs' standards. It's gimmicks, profit maximization, apathy, and a decrease in product quality. The only iPhone somewhat reasonably priced is the SE.
I'm going to keep the iPhone 7 Plus because I do like it a lot. I don't make too many long phone calls. Usually I call my dad and that's when I have to use my android phones because we chat for at least an hour and he complains when I use any iPhone. My past ones didn't impress him much either. I never knew what he was talking about. I thought all cell phones sounded rather poor compared to a good land line. But then last year I got my Android phones and realized there was a difference.

Now sometimes my iPhone 7 Plus sounds great. I don't know why it's so wonky, it just is. And it's not just my iPhone. One of the teachers I talk to regularly has an iPhone, probably a 6 or 6s, and she sounds horrible on it. I can barely make out what she's saying. She isn't even using a case. Another of the teachers has an older Galaxy and she sounds fine.

I love iPhones so I'm really REALLY bugged by this. Of all the things to not work well, the phone part is the most ridiculous part to act flakey.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I'm going to keep the iPhone 7 Plus because I do like it a lot. I don't make too many long phone calls. Usually I call my dad and that's when I have to use my android phones because we chat for at least an hour and he complains when I use any iPhone. My past ones didn't impress him much either. I never knew what he was talking about. I thought all cell phones sounded rather poor compared to a good land line. But then last year I got my Android phones and realized there was a difference.

Now sometimes my iPhone 7 Plus sounds great. I don't know why it's so wonky, it just is. And it's not just my iPhone. One of the teachers I talk to regularly has an iPhone, probably a 6 or 6s, and she sounds horrible on it. I can barely make out what she's saying. She isn't even using a case. Another of the teachers has an older Galaxy and she sounds fine.

I love iPhones so I'm really REALLY bugged by this. Of all the things to not work well, the phone part is the most ridiculous part to act flakey.

I guess a lot of switching around. If you had T-Mobile, they have this feature called Digits to work with 1 # on multiple phones. See if AT&T offers that if possible so you can avoid switching the SIM between phones just to get everything going smoothly. If not, Google Voice is another option.

Reactions: 5105973

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Official Beta 12 is out (Android 7.1.1), seems stable 7.1.1 isn't to far away.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3539895
75e3873394d3d7393d4679d511f5f279.jpg
297cccc8d9a9b97f4751763cfd9f916b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Only in France though?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/OneP...ack-color-and-128GB-of-native-storage_id92055

OnePlus 3T colette edition is introduced; custom black color and 128GB of native storage

C6-JqFZXAAAvQTL.jpg:large
You beat me to it.... I was just going to post that :)
That sure looks nice in black......

Alright, so it all sounds great to you and you want to buy a colette edition ... where can you get one of the 250 made? You'll have to be in Paris on March 21, and head to the colette store, just a short walk from The Louvre, for the 11:00 a.m. launch. First come, first served.

http://www.androidcentral.com/onepl...mpaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)

Reactions: epicrayban

andy317

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Another UK buyer on board as of today. After having the smaller Pixel I was tempted by the XL but couldn't justify the cost over this.

I have a separate work phone so having the option of two sims is going to be real nice rather than lugging two phones around all the time.

Just charging her up. Looks like I've got the Nougat update waiting to be installed. Might remove the screen protector though. Not sure I like that.

Early impressions are "I like" :)

View attachment 688829
Now that it's been over a month, how are you getting on with the 3T?

I'm contemplating the switch from my iPhone to a OnePlus but I'm not sure whether to get the 3T (hopefully in black) or whether to wait for the new OnePlus once it's released (whenever that is).

Reactions: Darrensk8

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
13642f79c6df209bd240339093408f7d.jpg

So I went and bought the Midnight Black version from the Finnish launch event. They threw in some additional accessories: A messenger bag, headphones, and a case. Can't really complain with that price :) Not having IP67 or IP68 is a bummer, but currently getting both of my SIMs into the same phone feels even more important for me. Besides, I'll have my iPhone 7 of S7e for the times I really need waterproofing (however, I think I'll sell at least the other one if the 3T turns out to be a keeper.

93c0c02028849274aa18afed17b8c546.jpg

Looks nice indeed, it's now installing my apps and there's also an OS update waiting.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
13642f79c6df209bd240339093408f7d.jpg

So I went and bought the Midnight Black version from the Finnish launch event. They threw in some additional accessories: A messenger bag, headphones, and a case. Can't really complain with that price :) Not having IP67 or IP68 is a bummer, but currently getting both of my SIMs into the same phone feels even more important for me. Besides, I'll have my iPhone 7 of S7e for the times I really need waterproofing (however, I think I'll sell at least the other one if the 3T turns out to be a keeper.

93c0c02028849274aa18afed17b8c546.jpg

Looks nice indeed, it's now installing my apps and there's also an OS update waiting.
Congrats! It really looks nice in black!!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks :) It does indeed look nice and it's nice to finally have both of my SIMs in the same phone.

cdf8f68081b010981ded7bc64996e427.jpg

Here it is next to my S7e (with the lamp and part of my hands reflecting off the screen, sorry about that :p).
curious.....what does having both sims in the phone do for you? Would you be able to get calls from to different lines? Would you be able to get texts and communication from 2 different lines on the same phone?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
curious.....what does having both sims in the phone do for you? Would you be able to get calls from to different lines? Would you be able to get texts and communication from 2 different lines on the same phone?
Yes, I should be reachable from both numbers with both voice and messages. For me there's also the fact that my work SIM has quite a lousy data plan and somewhat spotty coverage at home, but I can now mitigate that with my own SIM without having to deal with call and message transfers and not having issues with apps that depend on the phone number or can be active on just one device at a time.

Reactions: jamezr

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I ordered one of the black ones yesterday from the Hypebeast sale. I with I could have gotten some protection plan on it. And I kind of wonder how the OnePlus warranty would work, too.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes, I should be reachable from both numbers with both voice and messages. For me there's also the fact that my work SIM has quite a lousy data plan and somewhat spotty coverage at home, but I can now mitigate that with my own SIM without having to deal with call and message transfers and not having issues with apps that depend on the phone number or can be active on just one device at a time.
WOW... i never realized that you could do that. That is pretty awesome :)

Is it hard to differentiate which number is calling or texting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.