Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is my friend a

• Colossal idiot

Votes: 97 35.4%
  • Ballsy, stupid but ballsy

Votes: 87 31.8%
  • He’s the typical Apple user

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • I see nothing wrong with this

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • You’re telling me you don’t take your iPad pro in the bath with you ?

Votes: 25 9.1%
  • Apple has built these things like tanks, they can withstand anything

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • You should only ever use your Pro underwater

Votes: 19 6.9%

• Total voters

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
My friend told me a while ago he takes his £1000 iPad Pro in the bath with him every night as he likes to catch up on social media and reply to messages, whilst in the tub…..
I told him he was a fool because if he dropped it the chances of it operating correctly are slim , not to mention the steam from the hot water could balls up the internals. I just don’t think iPads and water are designed to mix are they?
He has also told me that parts of the iPad touch screen don’t register when touched and its getting slower, but blamed it on Apples poor components and quality control ( no word of a lie )

Discuss

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I know some people that do this. iPads are not waterproof or water resistant whatsoever, so they should not do that. But if you take appropriate care (some people put it on a bath table), the risks are not as big. Anyway, people can do whatever they want with their devices, but they can't expect Apple to make any free warranty replacement if something goes wrong

Last edited:

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
My other half takes her iPad or Kindle in the bath to watch movies while she's soaking.

From a safety point of view I should stress it's never plugged in and on charge which would be a VERY bad idea (people have been killed with third party chargers and devices being dropped in water).

Reactions: blkjedi954 and NC12

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
My other half takes her iPad or Kindle in the bath to watch movies while she's soaking.

From a safety point of view I should stress it's never plugged in and on charge which would be a VERY bad idea (people have been killed with third party chargers and devices being dropped in water).
Kindles are designed to be water-proof aren’t they ?:) I’d take my kindle in the bath anyday

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I guess if one has AppleCare this could be covered.

On the other hand, why say anything. People learn from experience. Experience comes from being able to make mistakes. Let him have his way with his stuff and be done with the topic.

Reactions: arkitect

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
@DD88 I try very hard not to go near her Kindle... I hate the things. After using an iPad they seem so painfully slow and hard to use.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
iPads and water do not mix. This is just a fact. Unlike iPhones they are not designed for it. It's all in the specifications. And yep steam is worse. But clearly your friend likes the alternative reality world where physics doesn't count. The worst part is he/she will blame it on Apple. If they don't have accidental damage coverage, apple will find the water damage and not repair it (they have indicators for that).

Anyway, yes, I like my iPad too during a good soak too. Sorry for the TMI. But I have it in a water proof case then.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
I own one and i love it. Most powerful iPad there is, plus I use it for my digital artwork. It’s all gravy here, iPadOS is okay

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
To be fair, it’s pretty unusual to drop an iPad unless you’ve got butterhands. The thing has massive surface area and you’ve got your whole hand gripping it. I’d say the risk is relatively low.

Humidity might affect the liquid indicator but has no real impact on the practical usable life of the iPad.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
To be fair, it’s pretty unusual to drop an iPad unless you’ve got butterhands. The thing has massive surface area and you’ve got your whole hand gripping it. I’d say the risk is relatively low.

Humidity might affect the liquid indicator but has no real impact on the practical usable life of the iPad.
Well he doesnt have a case so with wet hands would be slippery

Reactions: Argoduck

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well he doesnt have a case so with wet hands would be slippery

Even with wet hands, it isn’t that slippery because the back is aluminum. Chances are, he’s holding the iPad at a 45 degree angle, maybe with the corner in his palm. Unless he’s startled by police raiding his house or just plain drunk, I don’t think it’s a high risk.

• Haha

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
W
Even with wet hands, it isn’t that slippery because the back is aluminum. Chances are, he’s holding the iPad at a 45 degree angle, maybe with the corner in his palm. Unless he’s startled by police raiding his house or just plain drunk, I don’t think it’s a high risk.
Well……the police thing could be plausible …😅

Zest28

Suspended
Jul 11, 2022
Nah, the 12.9 iPad Pro floats better in the bath while I put my drinks on it, so it is perfect.

• Haha
Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.