Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is my friend a

• Colossal idiot

Votes: 97 35.4%
  • Ballsy, stupid but ballsy

Votes: 87 31.8%
  • He’s the typical Apple user

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • I see nothing wrong with this

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • You’re telling me you don’t take your iPad pro in the bath with you ?

Votes: 25 9.1%
  • Apple has built these things like tanks, they can withstand anything

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • You should only ever use your Pro underwater

Votes: 19 6.9%

• Total voters

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It won't hurt you.

Thanks for the reference. From the quoted article: "The risk of electrocution from dropping a phone in the water is low but not quite zero." and "it is possible for deadly electrocution to occur. "

Low odds but not something I would risk.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

MartyvH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
I don't even leave my (supposedly) water-resistant iPhone 12 in the bathroom when showering. This guy must have cash to spare.

Reactions: arkitect

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
The steam will damage the water resistance build over time and lead to irreparable damage. I have a watch rated at 5ATM (50M water resistant) and It is not even safe to use in the bathtub because the steam is so aggressive for electronics. One of the worst thing.

That said, waterproof cases exist, they could just use that.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
In a bathtub? Are you serious?

Ah, so a device without a touchscreen? 🤦‍♂️

To be fair, I don’t think that the “typical iPad user” is bringing their tablet into a bathtub.

Could you specify?

It’s completely susceptible to water damage.

I’d like to see you actually do that… 🤣

And do you think the average individual is going to try doing that?

Their wallet almost certainly disagrees with that statement.

You realize this entire thread is joking right?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Clearly your friend is a boss. If he drops it in he'll just pick his phone up from under the water and order a new iPad.

Don't be jealous.
:p

A real boss would call in his assistant and order him to fish around in the tub (with the boss still in it) to retrieve the iPad. And then he'd tell him to go out and get a replacement - ASAP.

BellSystem

Suspended
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
He could be any kind of boss, actually. First Law of Management: Never do what you can order an underling to do for you.
We are talking the wrong boss....

Boss: An adjective used in many situations describing something or someone that is superior.

Keith: Yo, you know Bryan?

Jamal: Yeah, dude's a boss.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I've used all my iPads while in the bathtub. Mini, Air, Air 2 and now my iPad Pro. Never had any problems, and I usually keep them for 3-4 years.

You're missing out ;) Would never have it plugged into an outlet however.

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
The iPad Air, despite its name, is heavier than water, which makes me think that the name means that it should only be used in air. Apple should release an iPad Water. Or even better, a Pokémon iPad Air & Water.

Phil-from-Hamburg

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
I do it since years. Never had any issues.
Of course if you drop it, it may be damaged. But so it is, when it drops on the floor.

david0128

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
I think these left-field polls are quite funny when it’s a slow week. Maybe the next one could be on the genre of movies being watched by a “friend” in the bathroom? Erm… cancel that…

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I hope your friend isn’t doing this because he wants to look at internet pictures/videos of ladies whilst he’s in the bath 🙁

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Pretty sure that would metaphorically go right out the window as soon as they saw the moisture detectors had been well and truly triggered.

That’s only an issue for regular AppleCare.

With AppleCare+, you use one of your accidental damage incidents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.