Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Ordered 10.5 iPad Pro LTE with 512GB of storage. Since this is my first Pro i also ordered keyboard and pencil.
[doublepost=1496697635][/doublepost]
10.5" SG 256GB Wi-Fi and smart cover ordered. Deciding later if i´ll get the pen or not. Had the pen with 12.9" pro and 9,7" pro and didn´t really use it much.
If you still have the pencil from your 12.9 or 9.7 it will still work with the 10.5. My understanding is there have been no changes in the pencil. Pencil improvements are all on the iPad side.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
This is probably a dumb question. Does the 256 GB model use more battery than the 64 GB model? I have both the 16 GB iPad mini Retina and the 128 GB ipad mini Retina, and the latter gets over an hour to two hours less battery life.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I rationalized my purchases the following way:

iPad Pro 10.5"

This is the new hotness, and to stroke my ego I shouldn't worry so much about the pricing and just buy it on the spot.

iPad Pro 12.9"

Less hotness here, more mild refresh. I'm going to wait on this purchase until there are some tax-free discounts at Best Buy.

Well I think if you buy rationally, iPads still are nowhere as "hot" as iPhones - so a budget conscious buyer should wait until there are some nice college deals on Best Buy, IMO. The stock of iPads won't run out anytime soon - especially since most non-serious buyers will opt for the 2017 "budget" iPad anyway.

Reactions: vhp3

Jomppa

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Ordered 10.5 iPad Pro LTE with 512GB of storage. Since this is my first Pro i also ordered keyboard and pencil.
[doublepost=1496697635][/doublepost]
If you still have the pencil from your 12.9 or 9.7 it will still work with the 10.5. My understanding is there have been no changes in the pencil. Pencil improvements are all on the iPad side.

Yupp i know, but pencils sold with iPads :)

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I'm in.

Total reflexive purchase, but I use use iPad every day.

I'm going to keep my Mini 4 and hand down my Pro 9.7.

Reactions: sracer

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
No, it’s just an internal refresh with the same display.
I rationalized my purchases the following way:

iPad Pro 10.5"

This is the new hotness, and to stroke my ego I shouldn't worry so much about the pricing and just buy it on the spot.

iPad Pro 12.9"

Less hotness here, more mild refresh. I'm going to wait on this purchase until there are some tax-free discounts at Best Buy.

Well I think if you buy rationally, iPads still are nowhere as "hot" as iPhones - so a budget conscious buyer should wait until there are some nice college deals on Best Buy, IMO. The stock of iPads won't run out anytime soon - especially since most non-serious buyers will opt for the 2017 "budget" iPad anyway.
That was my thought as well. With the 9.7 being more popular than the 12.9, I can also imagine that resale will be easier in 2 years. Also, I hope to use my red Apple silicone 9.7 back case on my new 10.5 version, since I see none on the store currently.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Ordered the 12.9 maxed out but seriously considering cancelling the order for the 10.5...

I think iOS 11 will really take advantage of the larger display... anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Ordered the 12.9 maxed out but seriously considering cancelling the order for the 10.5...

I think iOS 11 will really take advantage of the larger display... anyone have any thoughts on this?
It’s the same PPI, so it won’t matter much. Where it will matter is how many items you edit on the screen at once. 10.5 seems like that sweet spot between size and screen size.

Last edited:

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
Can't decide between 64 GB & 256 GB. I don't store any music or movies (I use spotify or netflix) but what about Apps and Photo(editing)?

kenz1980

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2017
So I'm thinking of picking up the 12.9, but one thing I need is being able to run 2 instances of word documents for ms office. Any word on whether we'll be able to do that?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I've been thinking about that as well. Although it is the same PPI as the 10.5, it isn't the same resolution. That means more content on the screen. The 12.9 will definitely benefit more from the improvements in iOS 11 than any other iPad.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
This is probably a dumb question. Does the 256 GB model use more battery than the 64 GB model? I have both the 16 GB iPad mini Retina and the 128 GB ipad mini Retina, and the latter gets over an hour to two hours less battery life.

Shouldn't. NAND flash doesn't need power to maintain the data, unlike RAM. But even then the difference should be very small. Not that much smaller.

Is there something different about how you use the two that could account for the difference? Extra storage leading to say, more video watching, more games, etc? LTE vs Wifi-only models?

64 is ok i guess but honesty i would spend a bit more money and get 256GB

I actually wish they kept the 128GB model, although if they did, I'd be paying the same as I am now for the 256GB version. But I use about 80GB of space, which doesn't grow horribly quickly, so the 256GB is a bit of overkill for me. So having the 128GB at 699$ would have been nice. Oh well.

So I'm thinking of picking up the 12.9, but one thing I need is being able to run 2 instances of word documents for ms office. Any word on whether we'll be able to do that?

Nope. That's an OS limitation that the Pro doesn't change. One app, one instance of it. Part of the problem is that many iOS apps are written with this limitation in mind, so just removing it won't work that well. I suspect Apple would announce some sort of "multi window" support for Apps to leverage to support something like this.
[doublepost=1496703477][/doublepost]
I've been thinking about that as well. Although it is the same PPI as the 10.5, it isn't the same resolution. That means more content on the screen. The 12.9 will definitely benefit more from the improvements in iOS 11 than any other iPad.

Yup, it will display more details. The question is, will it get you anything extra in the new features beyond space? Keeping in mind Apple failed to take advantage of the space with the home screen and multitasking views before. I don't think we're going to see the 12.9 use the space in the new "Mission Control" view all that well, sadly.

But I do like the extra space in certain apps though. Affinity Photo would be great on that thing.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yup, it will display more details. The question is, will it get you anything extra in the new features beyond space? Keeping in mind Apple failed to take advantage of the space with the home screen and multitasking views before. I don't think we're going to see the 12.9 use the space in the new "Mission Control" view all that well, sadly.

But I do like the extra space in certain apps though. Affinity Photo would be great on that thing.
I'm reserving judgment until I get 11 installed on my 12.9 Pro. It uses the extra space well on the widget screen so I'm hopeful that it will do the same with Mission Control.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
I went with a 10.5 inch Gold, 256GB this time.
Also bought a Apple Pencil and white Smart Cover with it.

Almost a 1000 euro together. I hope it's going to be worth it

Reactions: sracer

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Regarding the differences between the 12.9 and 10.5, I really like how the mail app has a third column on the 12.9. That wasn't the case on the 9.7. Any word on the 10.5? I do a lot of emailing on my iPad and that is somewhat of a convenience of not having to keep opening and closing the mailbox folders.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Placed my order for 10.5 Space Gray 256GB. This is the first non-cellular iPad I've bought in a while (for myself). I liked the convenience of it when T-Mobile was offering 200mb free a month as that was fine for 10 or 11 months of the year. But not worth it to me to have put it on it's own monthly plan. I'll just stick to using tethering from my iPhone if needed and spend the extra $ on the larger size and possibly towards a pencil.

Reactions: macmahon70

badmojo69

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I refreshed the store, and I already have an order for a 512gb LTE space Grey iPad 10.5 in. Any one else purchasing? I decided not to go with the 12.9 this time around.

Yep I ordered the same thing. I have a S3, SP4, Note 12.2 and Ipad 3 (1st version). Figured I go with the 10.5, because I'll be reading on it more than anything else. I might buy a pen later if I find that I want to take notes with it at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.