Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Did exactly the same.

I'll confess, I went online and bought a maxed Space Grey 10.5" as soon as the store went back up. The drag and drop and files iOS 11 demos sold me hard. It is exactly how I had envisioned and hoped they would implement multitasking and file management. Am going to seriously give it a go as a replacement even on a professional level (work as an external consultant CFO for start-ups).

Made this purchase over a new 2017 rMB even though it now has a 16GB RAM option - and even though the 10.5" has a 2224x1668 resolution instead of the full 2732x2048 that I had hoped for. The rest of the screen updates were very satisfying.

Love the long overdue addition of the documents scanner to notes, system-wide drag and drop, multitasking app picker, and implementation of a properly customisable dock alá macOS.

All that's really left is giving iPad Pro proper desktop web browsing and my wish list will have been completely fulfilled by Apple, something I never thought I could say before.

Now let's get full app parity! The Affinity Photo app demo was impressive to say the least. Hopefully that puts pressure on Adobe to release proper Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator at the very least. Office and iWork full parity next, though!

I have a MacBook and I just find macOS to be a bit stale and boring lately. I wasn't enticed by the new laptops at all. I played around with the High Sierra beta and it is just more of the same. I am selling my MacBook and going iOS only as I feel like we will see more and more focus here over the next few years.

mtehonica

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Where did you see it available to order through att next?

I don't see it available through NEXT but I do see it available as an installment plan. So 20 payments and then you own it. NEXT would mean you'd have to return it and upgrade.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone going for the 512GB storage option? seems weird Apple doubled the storage, I'm glad they did tho it means i can keep more on my iPad :)
With the new file system, I can see why they did. On my iPad Pro 2015 with iOS 11, I’m already able to save directly to an app folder locally instead of exporting and importing from iCloud or drop box. This will save a ton of time and compression space.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I'm reserving judgment until I get 11 installed on my 12.9 Pro. It uses the extra space well on the widget screen so I'm hopeful that it will do the same with Mission Control.

Yeah, it depends on if they use the space for white space or keep the data density the same. Hmm, should check it out in Xcode while im poking around, I think.

Seriously, even 12.9 inch is still extremely portable.

If you use it like a laptop, the 13" is great. If you use it like a tablet, the half pound is noticeable.

Now having second thoughts on the LTE, probably will cancel the order and get the wifi only.

I don't use the LTE heavily, but its handy to have. Especially if you can get a prepaid bucket like the 10$/5GB for 5 months bucket T-Mobile at least used to offer for ipads.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
Okay, change of plans lol.

Ordered a white/gold model yesterday, but never been 100% sure if it was the right choice.
I've always owned black iPhones/iPads and believed it was time for a change. But after looking at pics/video's more and more, i started to regret my choice. Black is so neutral, so timeless and professional looking. Also i know what i'll get by buying a black one, with white i still have to wait and see if it satisfies me....

Too much of a gamble really. I decided to cancel my white/gold and ordered a Space Grey one right after.
I went on safe, hopefully it was the right choice after all!

(going to have to see if the white smartcover fits nicely on a SG one though, can't cancel that one anymore)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, change of plans lol.

Ordered a white/gold model yesterday, but never been 100% sure if it was the right choice.
I've always owned black iPhones/iPads and believed it was time for a change. But after looking at pics/video's more and more, i started to regret my choice. Black is so neutral, so timeless and professional looking. Also i know what i'll get by buying a black one, with white i still have to wait and see if it satisfies me....

Too much of a gamble really. I decided to cancel my white/gold and ordered a Space Grey one right after.
I went on safe, hopefully it was the right choice after all!

(going to have to see if the white smartcover fits nicely on a SG one though, can't cancel that one anymore)

I went with white for my 9.7 Pro, immediately regretted it. I will be sticking with black moving forward.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Does the 12.9 inch also have the 120hz refresh rate? They made it seem like it was specifically for the new 10.5 model during the keynote.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a MacBook and I just find macOS to be a bit stale and boring lately. I wasn't enticed by the new laptops at all. I played around with the High Sierra beta and it is just more of the same. I am selling my MacBook and going iOS only as I feel like we will see more and more focus here over the next few years.

I think you are right. Mainly because this is one of Apples Goals ultimately. And the iPad is a simple means of completing most tasks what people need to do on a mobile device with the iPad over a laptop for its price point. And Tim Cook views the iPad as laptop replacement ultimately.

I also think consumers gravitate more towards the iPad because of the mobility it offers and you can take it anywhere with you because how compact it is.

Reactions: Legendts

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
With the new file system, I can see why they did. On my iPad Pro 2015 with iOS 11, I’m already able to save directly to an app folder locally instead of exporting and importing from iCloud or drop box. This will save a ton of time and compression space.

I still find myself using iCloud storage simply because it makes backing up easier/faster. When I upgrade to a new Mac, I can just set it up as a new devices and login to my iCloud :D. All of my documents just go in the iCloud Drive folder.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think you are right. Mainly because this is one of Apples Goals ultimately. And the iPad is a simple means of completing most tasks what people need to do on a mobile device with the iPad over a laptop for its price point. And Tim Cook views the iPad as laptop replacement ultimately.

I also think consumers gravitate more towards the iPad because of the mobility it offers and you can take it anywhere with you because how compact it is.

Agree with all your points here. I guess I am just a bit surprised that macOS has become so boring. 10.13 is barely an update.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
I called Apple yesterday to see if I could change the color of my order. I couldn't, they said I would need to cancel/reorder. But the rep said the new iPads would be in retail stores on 6/7. This is not true is it? He meant next Wednesday right?

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
I went with white for my 9.7 Pro, immediately regretted it. I will be sticking with black moving forward.

Afraid that would happen to me also.

I own a iPad 1 in black, iPad mini 2 in black, a iPhone 5 in black, iPhone 6s in black and a iPhone 7 in matte black.
Like i said, too much of a risk going white/gold all of a sudden. The SG iPad pro 10.5 will fit nicely with the rest.

badmojo69

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I called Apple yesterday to see if I could change the color of my order. I couldn't, they said I would need to cancel/reorder. But the rep said the new iPads would be in retail stores on 6/7. This is not true is it? He meant next Wednesday right?

All I see is preorder on BestBuy.

gadgets.loco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Brum, UK
I don't use the LTE heavily, but its handy to have. Especially if you can get a prepaid bucket like the 10$/5GB for 5 months bucket T-Mobile at least used to offer for ipads.

Yup, cancelled my order and will order instead the 10.5 iPad Pro 512GB Wifi. Decided more storage would be more useful than the LTE. I get 16GB/month data on my phone's plan, so I will just tether the iPad to the phone when there is no wifi coverage

hoodriverlife

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Very disappointed with the case options though, or lack of them.
I rushed straight out to order a 10.5 Pro (512gb + cell)... But can't believe there is only the "Smart" Cover available. I hate those things - always falling off, can't hang it on the back of an airplane seat, etc. Has anyone any idea if Apple will come out with a Smart Case? Ala the iPad Air? I love the lightweight feel of apple's products - most 3rd parties bulk the thing up.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Has anyone any idea if Apple will come out with a Smart Case? Ala the iPad Air? I love the lightweight feel of apple's products - most 3rd parties bulk the thing up.
Plenty of Smart Case clones on Amazon for $10 or less. I use those for my iPads and they're thin, lightweight and work just fine.

Okay, so I've had some that didn't work properly right out the gate (when Apple changes magnet location/orientation) but the companies have always sent a replacement promptly free of charge when they learn of the issue. The replacements work great.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

This is true and I will be getting the 512GB option, my only dilemma is which screen size to go for. The 10.5" looks great however I'm not sure if I would miss the 12.9" that I've got use to using.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
This is true and I will be getting the 512GB option, my only dilemma is which screen size to go for. The 10.5" looks great however I'm not sure if I would miss the 12.9" that I've got use to using.
I went from the 12.9 to the 9.7 about 6 months ago. I much more preferred the form factor again. I could actually type just using two thumbs and holding it with my hands. I always had to rest the 12.9 on my leg or a surface to do that. Any games, even Minecraft, wasn't that great on the 12.9 because I couldn't hold it the same way.

With the 10.5 inch screen size, we're looking at a 2.4 inch difference. While this may matter more in laptop mode, I think in tablet mode, the difference is negligible.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I went from the 12.9 to the 9.7 about 6 months ago. I much more preferred the form factor again. I could actually type just using two thumbs and holding it with my hands. I always had to rest the 12.9 on my leg or a surface to do that. Any games, even Minecraft, wasn't that great on the 12.9 because I couldn't hold it the same way.

With the 10.5 inch screen size, we're looking at a 2.4 inch difference. While this may matter more in laptop mode, I think in tablet mode, the difference is negligible.
I think it's gonna be quite noticeable in tablet mode if you carry your tablet everywhere with you. The 7.9 iPad mini is very portable. The 9.7 iPad is a bit more bulky but only marginally unwieldy. The 12.9 iPad, probably gonna mostly use that when I'm stationary and there's a surface where I can prop it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.