Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I think one underrated feature of iOS 11 is the new app windowing feature. This is something I never thought Apple would do. I am looking forward to trying it out and seeing how it works.
Are you referring to the drag and drop app picker for multitasking where the new app sits over the other one in ¼ view but still both apps are live/active? Or was there another instance during the demo that I missed?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is true and I will be getting the 512GB option, my only dilemma is which screen size to go for. The 10.5" looks great however I'm not sure if I would miss the 12.9" that I've got use to using.

Think 10.5 is the perfect in between size from 12.9 personally

Reactions: Dave245

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Are you referring to the drag and drop app picker for multitasking where the new app sits over the other one in ¼ view but still both apps are live/active? Or was there another instance during the demo that I missed?

Yes, that is what I am referring to. You can have two apps in split view, PIP going, and also a windowed app over top. I am hoping a lot more app developers implement this.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Yes, that is what I am referring to. You can have two apps in split view, PIP going, and also a windowed app over top. I am hoping a lot more app developers implement this.
So watching a video, two apps in split screen and a third app in windowed mode over the top. That is good stuff! Is there still only one audio stream?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
That I am not sure of. Good question though. I just saw some pictures posted. Apparently the 9.7 Pro cannot do this.
So you're testing on a 12.9" model, then...seems very Apple-like to exclude the 9.7" from some features, probably not really enough room with a few hundred less pixels in landscape to make it worthwhile?

I wonder if the 10.5" will get the full 2 app UI's side by side in 50/50 split view like the 12.9" or if it will copy the behaviour of the 9.7"...

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So you're testing on a 12.9" model, then...seems very Apple-like to exclude the 9.7" from some features, probably not really enough room with a few hundred less pixels in landscape to make it worthwhile?

I wonder if the 10.5" will get the full 2 app UI's side by side in 50/50 split view like the 12.9" or if it will copy the behaviour of the 9.7"...

I am not testing anything, no. I just saw some posts from someone who was using the beta on his 12.9. I am wondering about your second point also, although from everything I have read, it won't be the full app UI's side by side. Not sure though.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Who all ordered an Apple official cover? I was hoping that when they said leather was back that there was going to be a Smart Case like the iPad Air models. Come to find out that it's only the cover and that they don't even make the back cover anymore. Still ordered the leather Smart Cover in Midnight Blue, due for delivery tomorrow.

No, rumor is that the 10.5 is able to do this because of more RAM vs the 2GB in the 9.7 Pro. I'm expecting, since the A10 in the iPhone 7 has 3GB of RAM, that the 10.5 will have at least 3GB of RAM, if not then 4GB and the 12.9 either stays at 4GB or jumps to 6GB. 6GB of RAM seems like way overkill for iOS considering that would put it only 2GB short of the MacBook.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I rushed straight out to order a 10.5 Pro (512gb + cell)... But can't believe there is only the "Smart" Cover available. I hate those things - always falling off, can't hang it on the back of an airplane seat, etc. Has anyone any idea if Apple will come out with a Smart Case? Ala the iPad Air? I love the lightweight feel of apple's products - most 3rd parties bulk the thing up.

My guess is not. I'm struggling to find something similar in Australia. There's someone amazon but they won't ship them here.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Yup, cancelled my order and will order instead the 10.5 iPad Pro 512GB Wifi. Decided more storage would be more useful than the LTE. I get 16GB/month data on my phone's plan, so I will just tether the iPad to the phone when there is no wifi coverage

I used to tether, but the sheer amount of battery it tended to eat from the phone was what convinced me to just use a cheap prepaid LTE plan instead. But it helps that the 256GB is still huge overkill for me in storage. :p
[doublepost=1496793597][/doublepost]
I'm reserving judgment until I get 11 installed on my 12.9 Pro. It uses the extra space well on the widget screen so I'm hopeful that it will do the same with Mission Control.

Yeah, I just checked the simulator in Xcode 9. It's two rows in both cases. They just scale how big the thumbnail is with the screen size. So you don't gain much horizontally either.

Reactions: rui no onna

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
Ordered a 64Gb space grey as I only use the iPad for casual reading and web browsing! Coming from an iPad 3, I am sure the difference will be night and day! iPad 3 has served me well. RIP sweet tablet.

That jump will be massive, I think you will really appreciate the performance jump. Hell even from my old iPad 3 to iPad Air 2 the jump was massive

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
6GB of RAM seems like way overkill for iOS considering that would put it only 2GB short of the MacBook.

In 2014 some people said 1GB of ram is all you ever need. In 2016 people said 2GB of ram is all you ever really going to need. And now in 2017 4GB is the new "all you ever need" ? Make up your mind allready!

Theres no such thing as "RAM overkill for iOS" especially for 12.9" device.

Reactions: Neodym

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
I am kind of impressed the delivery dates here in Germany are slipping. It now states shipping in 1-2 weeks, while it originally said shipping within 5 days with a delivery next Tuesday. I didn't see that with the last few iPads.

Legendts

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Victoria Australia
Ordered a 64Gb space grey as I only use the iPad for casual reading and web browsing! Coming from an iPad 3, I am sure the difference will be night and day! iPad 3 has served me well. RIP sweet tablet.

Im just waiting for those that ordered the 10.5 to give some feedback before I order, but order I will, maxed out space grey only because I like the black surround. Kind of chomping at the bit to order though.

Any comments on purchasing a "new" model and any expectations re teething issues?

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
Im just waiting for those that ordered the 10.5 to give some feedback before I order, but order I will, maxed out space grey only because I like the black surround. Kind of chomping at the bit to order though.

Any comments on purchasing a "new" model and any expectations re teething issues?

If you don't do much multitasking, then 10.5" is a safe bet (assume it has 4GB ram). Difference from iPad3 will be shocking.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I had an Air 2 and will be getting a 10.5 with 256gb I don't want the 12 inch since it's to big for a tablet IMHO and I have a Macbook Pro if I need a bigger screen.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Question for purchasers - if you buy the iPad w/ AppleCare from Bestbuy and decide to return it within the return period, will BestBuy refund the AppleCare or do you have to get the AppleCare refund from Apple?

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Same for me (though I have 9.7" iPad Pro) plus went ahead and ordered midnight blue cover. I will buy a silicone back cover when they appear. Pretty excited about jumping up to the 64 Gb and the new upgrades and using the new IOS.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Just curious is there any reason to get it at the Apple store over bestbuy? Bestbuy is offering a free $25 gift card and where I live ( Brooklyn NY) has a parking lot unlike any Apple store in NYC short of the one On Staten island but costs something like $12 with a NY ezpass.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ordered the Space Gray 10.5" 256GB Cellular with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil. Nearly went all out but with 2TB of iCloud storage now, who needs 512GB locally? Maybe for people who need to just load their iPad with all the movies while traveling. Even so, that's a lot of video.

Reactions: gorkt

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I just upgraded my wife's iPad mini 2 16 GB to a mini 4 128 GB (good sale) over a week ago and she doesn't want anything larger than that so she's set. For me, I've had an Air 2 128 GB since October 2014 and I am contemplating upgrading to the 10.5 OR 12.9 inch as it seems Apple has finally (with iOS 11) given me a reason to upgrade.

64 GB would be sufficient for me, but the next step up would be a possibility as well. OR, I might just continue to stick with my iPad Air 2 and keep going over 3 years and counting. Decisions, decisions....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.