Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Im just waiting for those that ordered the 10.5 to give some feedback before I order, but order I will, maxed out space grey only because I like the black surround. Kind of chomping at the bit to order though.

Any comments on purchasing a "new" model and any expectations re teething issues?

The teething issues will somewhat be like the 12.9" model currently faces. It's a new screen size, and there are still a number of apps that haven't switched to auto-layout which would support: 12.9" screens, 10.5" screens, split screen mode. So the support for split screen and the larger screen real estate won't be perfect. Otherwise, this is really a 2nd generation iPad Pro in other respects, and especially if it does come with 4GB RAM, will be a good model to hang onto for a while. At the very least, you don't have to deal with the USB2 lightning port that came on the 9.7" iPad Pro. That's the one thing I regret, since it made importing RAW photos from my 36MP camera a giant PITA.

And yes, I'd love it if they did other colors with the black surround. I'm more than ready to do something other than Space Grey, but I want a black surround.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I plan on getting a 10.5" 64GB model but only when I see a deal that grabs me. Best Buy's $25 deal is decent for a unreleased Apple product but I smell better deals elsewhere. And I wouldn't even pre-order a iPad unless you're getting money off or a gift card. At the end of the day the iPad 10.5" is still an iPad especially since it's not shipping with iOS 11. I'm using the beta right now on my iPad mini 4 and it's getting reverted back to iOS 10 before I go to bed. Nothing but bugs galore.

You need patience OP on this one. iPhone 8 pre-order from Apple/carriers; yes. iPad pre-order from Apple; no.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I like my 12.9" fine. Had I been smart, I would have ordered the new 12.9" IPP instead of the 10.5". Ordering the 10.5 necessitated ordering a $160 ASK on top of it, whereas I could have ordered the new 12.9" and upped the memory to 512 GB for about the same money.

I'll try the 10.5" and see how I like it; could return it and get the new 12.9" still.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I've been on the fence since the keynote. FINALLY hit submit! 10.5" 256GB - rose gold. I had a hard time choosing a color becuase I love the rose gold but prefer a black bezel. I bought the ASK too.

Either my niece (who is the 3rd family member to own my old iPad 3) or mother (who has an iPad 4) will be very happy when I hand down the Air 2. :)

Reactions: millydog

mfm77

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
NJ
I'm going from a space gray iPad Air 1 LTE with 32 GB to a space gray 10.5 iPad Pro LTE (I just love the LTE convenience factor) with 256 GB. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get my new toy next week. Time to buy an Apple Pencil and a case!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I've been on the fence since the keynote. FINALLY hit submit! 10.5" 256GB - rose gold. I had a hard time choosing a color becuase I love the rose gold but prefer a black bezel. I bought the ASK too.

Either my niece (who is the 3rd family member to own my old iPad 3) or mother (who has an iPad 4) will be very happy when I hand down the Air 2. :)

I pretty much knew, even before the keynote, that I was going to upgrade. My Air 2 is still a great device, I haven't noticed any real slowing yet, but I want to make sure my iPad is powerful enough to handle all iOS 11 is bring to the table this fall. Mine will get handed down to my grandmother most likely to replace her mini 2 that is getting a big long in the tooth.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Caved. Ordered s/g 256GB wifi 10.5 Pro, Apple Pencil, brown leather slip case and blue smart cover... I was going to just do the 64GB, but I will be putting a LOT of movies on here so... my iPad Air 2 (64GB) still has 48GB left lol. Obviously I haven't used the space much. That is going to change when this gets here next Thursday.

Reactions: MikaLoop

Legendts

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Victoria Australia
The teething issues will somewhat be like the 12.9" model currently faces. It's a new screen size, and there are still a number of apps that haven't switched to auto-layout which would support: 12.9" screens, 10.5" screens, split screen mode. So the support for split screen and the larger screen real estate won't be perfect. Otherwise, this is really a 2nd generation iPad Pro in other respects, and especially if it does come with 4GB RAM, will be a good model to hang onto for a while. At the very least, you don't have to deal with the USB2 lightning port that came on the 9.7" iPad Pro. That's the one thing I regret, since it made importing RAW photos from my 36MP camera a giant PITA.

And yes, I'd love it if they did other colors with the black surround. I'm more than ready to do something other than Space Grey, but I want a black surround.

Thanks and appreciate the feedback.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Selling my iPad Mini 4 and getting the iPad Pro 10.5 inch (64GB Wifi Space Grey). Sad to see that iPad Mini is being phased off.

Last edited:

thearh

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
May leather sleeve has shipped, but no movement on my iPad Pro 10.5, anyone's order moved from Processing Items to Preparing for Shipment?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Selling my iPad Mini 4 and getting the iPad Pro 10.5 inch (64GB Wifi Space Grey). Sad to see that iPad Mini is being phased off.

I can't say I get it unless it's a really bad seller.

iPad - 9.7" and 7.9" with old fatter form factor and A9 chip

iPad Pro - 10.5" and 12.9" - thinner with A10X

That seems like a logical line to me. Even iPad mini, iPad, and iPad Pro seems logical.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I had a mini 2 for awhile and found myself just rarely using it. The original size just is a better multipurpose device.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
how is the camera on iphone 7? since it is the same camera on new ipad

I love the camera on the 7. I've tried the Samsung galaxy s8 at a bestbuy and it's better but slightly and I find ios camera to be straight forward and easy to use.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The anticipation, may be better than the actual products....

I swear I order stuff on amazon just for that purpose I think

Though I ordered my pro at bestbuy for store pickup because they use UPS where I live and they don't deliver until after 4 usually. I can just drive to my bestbuy before I head to my final ( ugh my college does them in June).

Reactions: MikaLoop and thearh

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I caved in, sold my 9.7" Pro and bought the 10.5" Pro 256gb. Now, I am keeping this one for several years. (Said that about the 9.7" Pro :D)

That performance, and display, along with the camera improvements and 2nd gen Touch ID convinced me.

That mirrors me. I went all out on the 9.7" Pro and the I saw this model and caved. Now I think the 10.5 will be my longevity model. Heh....

OLED screen? Nice. 3D Touch? Sure. I can't really think of anything else they can add that will lure me in.

Reactions: Sparky2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.