Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
The strength of a Sorbet or (presumably) Shuriken is that it's a base install of selected improvements to get the ball rolling if you're new to this.

Or, to put it another way:

Cobbling together all the community-based tweaks, optimizations, and fixes over the last fifteen years into a pre-made, quasi-proprietary (“proprietized”?) disk image which carries the unmistakable musk of one dude — despite all the sweat and toil coming from untold, un-credited numbers of folk who found those improvements long before him.

I mean, if one likes the scent/flavour/hand-weapon he’s peddling, then by all means indulge in it!

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
You know what? I am a software designer and programmer by education from the olden days. But I don't have interest, ambition or even skills to do everything myself, not even close. Especially when it comes to old vintage stuff which are a hobby to me. Much less do I want to scour through dozens of forums trying to find which mods are considered best or suitable for each machine+OS-combo, that have been found in the last 15-40 years. There must be tens of thousands of them and most obsolete or otherwise unusable today. This while trying to dodge old bitter forumists who like to piss on newcomers (to their forum) or are just otherwise butthurt for some reason (present company excepted). Yes, that (scouring and dodging) could be interesting as a hobby itself ;) but I want to get my old computers to work the best they can quickly so I can concentrate on using the machines. But, obviously upgrades of soft and hard kind are interesting to me.

If somebody has had the time and the patience to gather a working set of mods into a package, which will help me I will indeed indulge in it. If its crap, then its crap but I will atleast try it. And I don't care who the guy or group is who did it nor do I care if they invented and developed everything (virtually nobody does in this business) or if they didn't kiss somebody elses behind while doing it. If somebody thinks his old discovery wasn't recognized (but it should) then he should market his achievement or do his own mod set and promote it to users any way he can. And I will try his mod/set too. 😎

I applaud all the knowledgeable guys (you too, whos reading this) who have patience to help others in their problems, code new software, build new hardware or even gobble together a set of tweaks which will help people to run their vintage stuff. 👍🏻

And on that note, I just wiped the Morph OS off my iBook G4 and installed the Sorbet Leopard. Initially it seems to work ok. Won't install much sw to try it out before I get the mSata -stuff to replace the slow and small original 60GB drive.

Ps. sorry if my english fails, its not my native language. If I seem rude its unintended. My base note is trying to be somewhat humorous.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Much less do I want to scour through dozens of forums trying to find which mods are considered best or suitable for each machine+OS-combo
I take your points but as I said, Sorbet (and Shuriken?) is a generic base install - if you really want your machine to fly for a particular task you assign it (if you have one) you will still need to refine and augment. All depends on your needs really.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I take your points but as I said, Sorbet (and Shuriken?) is a generic base install - if you really want your machine to fly for a particular task you assign it (if you have one) you will still need to refine and augment. All depends on your needs really.
Sure, I understand that. 👍🏻

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Despite massively disagreeing with how @z970 does things, I still support that his efforts do facilitate more people outside of this PPC echo chamber getting a slice of the action and I do look forward to seeing what Shuriken is.

I optimistically hope for a clutch of things that are possible to do on Tiger for someone with the time and dedication but if it's just an optimised disk image, then like Sorbet, it's not for me.

Yumiko Noua

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
sadly macintoshgarden is down and, for the people who want to try shuriken, well is impossible for now..

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
200-448579119.gif

... Showtime?

When does this go live? I'm looking forward to giving Shuriken a spin!

tumblr_o121r9byAO1qd4q8ao1_500-1867621905.gif

Feeling the retro vibes.. Let's goooo!​

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I wondered when a Shinobi/generic Ninja reference would be forthcoming and @AphoticD you didn't disappoint. :)

Personally I prefer the arcade game and its instant-death danger but I'm pedantic - among other things...

W7BWa_.gif
I burned through so much money on this game at the arcade in the 80s and early 90s. This one and Paperboy. Anyone need an aneurism? Try to beat this game on the NES. It will make your brain melt and fingers spontaneously combust.

Definitely ready to give Shuriken a spin. :)

• Haha
Reactions: AphoticD

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I burned through so much money on this game at the arcade in the 80s and early 90s.

Once you reach Mission 5 there are no continues available so the MAME programmers made a cheat available which gives you 255 lives - and even with that advantage I still couldn't prevail. Eventually I succeeded thanks to save states and the end screen really wasn't worth the effort.

This one and Paperboy.

I hate that game. :D

Anyone need an aneurism? Try to beat this game on the NES. It will make your brain melt and fingers spontaneously combust.

David Cronenberg style - ala Scanners?

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
I love OSX Tiger for its speed. I just hope that this Shuriken has spaces (several desktop ability) as I use VirtueDesktop for my Powerbook 12.
Also, it can open Evernote since it only support Leopard above as I still use Evernote for the note taking updated to the cloud.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
My predictions:

A) This is Tiger 10.4.11 with TigerTrimCelerator et al included, much like Sorbet is 10.5.8 with some tweaks and themes included.

Or

B) This is a tweaked Leopard beta rebranded as 10.4.12

I’m sure there’s a very good reason that zero information exists to clarify what this actually is. I’m certain. Definitely not just marketing…that would be something new for a change.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I love OSX Tiger for its speed. I just hope that this Shuriken has spaces (several desktop ability) as I use VirtueDesktop for my Powerbook 12.
Also, it can open Evernote since it only support Leopard above as I still use Evernote for the note taking updated to the cloud.
Are you using an Evernote app on Leopard?

EDIT- Never mind. It turns out I made an account in 2019 that I forgot about. I had to look through the Wayback machine to find the last PPC supported app download. It works great on 10.5!

Last edited:
Reactions: flatjuba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.