Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
I absolutely love this picture (three different colored cows walking down), I am new to photography so I do not know as much as others here, i would give it a 3.5/5 i think it could be a lot sharper maybe out of focus a little bit, and the reason its not a 4/5 or me its because it wasn t a picture that stroke me as wow,, still love it nonetheless,,

Doylem I really like the picture of the dog right in the middle of teh shot, seems like it's got a story to it, i dont know, he/she seems so in the middle of nowhere, so many decisions in such an open space, really like it...4.5/5...

here is mine as well...

2292629903_8d14510655_b.jpg

cana lso someone explain to me how i can put my own picture like the one i quoted (size wise) and make the one i quoted smaller please....

Lightglance.com

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
I know the technical assets of the cow picture isn't much to talk about... as i said, taken 2 years ago, one of my first times using an DSLR.

Just press
image_button.png
in the text editor, and past the URL where the image is located(it already has to be on a web server).:)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
like i ve said many times before, I am no professional at all, I give it a 4.9/5, but i do have a question, i don't know maybe it's my monitor but is it a little bit too blueish...(it is for my liking)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
WOW
thats awesome i really all the blues
how did you take this picture? was is taken from a pier?
:D
It was taken by helicopter ride, i was literally 10 feet above the surfer.

lol, jk

Yes on the pier :)
like i ve said many times before, I am no professional at all, I give it a 4.9/5, but i do have a question, i don't know maybe it's my monitor but is it a little bit too blueish...(it is for my liking)

It is blue but it is not a dark blue. If it looks overly dark, you may have your black point set a little low. anyway here is a website to help you adjust it if necessary:

http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

liveexpo

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
I love the contrast in this picture, and the light as well. Love the way you have gotten so much expression from a display doll. Is it on fire? Or what is the motion in the light?

20080309030333_2007-05-11%20at%2018-47-25.jpg

One handheld RAW // Shutter: 1/1250 // Aperture: f/6.3 // Focal Length: EXIF say 300mm, but i have never owned or used a 300mm lens. So its somewhere between 18-55(Canon kit lens) // ISO 100 // Camera: 400D //

Please critique me...

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the mannequin is on fire...it was the final piece of my series on the destructive nature of fashion. I poured petrol over her head at 6am in the local park :).

I think you've chose the perfect composition for your shot, and also depth, keeping in focus what you need the viewer to see. Nice. Its got a certain conflict within it which i always like - something I can't pin down...:)

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Im posting this in an art gallary March 18 here in Long Beach. Please critique away!
2306217473_5a9f2db4d8_o.jpg
Loved your picture. I love the pattern in the water.

I like this photo. I think the space beneath the sun gives it a nice "lead-in". I would have taken a second shot with the sun a little bit to the right, and see which one was better - don't know if would really improve the composition.

I love sunsets, here is one of mine:
2212984611_7acde1d27b.jpg

1/800, f/5.6, ISO 400. Taken with my Panasonic FX3 P&S. Feel free to critique all you like - I think that's the only way one can improve.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Waters rising..

Underneath the Morrison Bridge, Portland, OR. Scanned from b/w workprint.

water%20rising.jpg

Canon Eos A2
Canon 28-105

Father Jack: Thanks for your comment on the "grill" shot. You guessed right about the negative carrier being filed open enough to allow entire frame to be projected in the enlarger. When I printed my workprints, I did them on an 8 x 10 sheet of Illford RC multicontrast paper, and just projected the full frame, film edges and all, into the space. Being workprints, they were intended for scanning, or test prints, not for mounting and display. I leave the edges to make it obvious that they are full frame in-camera compositions. I always tried to shoot on film as if the shot would not be cropped, but sometimes of course, cropping was necessary. I just did this to remind myself to consider the entire frame while shooting. Cheers! :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Underneath the Morrison Bridge, Portland, OR. Scanned from b/w workprint.

water%20rising.jpg

Canon Eos A2
Canon 28-105

Father Jack: Thanks for your comment on the "grill" shot. You guessed right about the negative carrier being filed open enough to allow entire frame to be projected in the enlarger. When I printed my workprints, I did them on an 8 x 10 sheet of Illford RC multicontrast paper, and just projected the full frame, film edges and all, into the space. Being workprints, they were intended for scanning, or test prints, not for mounting and display. I leave the edges to make it obvious that they are full frame in-camera compositions. I always tried to shoot on film as if the shot would not be cropped, but sometimes of course, cropping was necessary. I just did this to remind myself to consider the entire frame while shooting. Cheers! :)
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if you had modified the neg carrier or used one of the funky neg frames available in Photo Frame software.

One of the tutors in college was sacked for "modifying" about 15 negative carriers. He too was one of the "I must let people know that I used all of the negative" Henri Cartier-Bresson fans.

ps
Another interesting image ..:)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
pdxflint, love the picture, must look so amazing in print without all the grain....4/5 (because of the grain).

jalagl, i really liek your pic, but for my own liking, i belive the foreground has a lot to offer, it just can't be seen at all because it's so dark, then again i think taht's a matter of preference.3.5/5

rjg001

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
Here is one I took recently. I am very much still a newb and took the camera out one night looking for some shots and at times using my car as a subject. I kind of like the way this one came out. Only processing after the fact was some cropping.
2305120693_c63a2fc26a.jpg

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Here's one taken this weekend at Algonquin National Park here in Ontario.

10mm, 1/400sec @ f11, iso 200
p11146194-5.jpg

unknown87

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2007
Another great shot pdxflint, I can only imagine how nice the print looks.... Plus you've inspired me to go back to my 'local bridge' and look for some more interesting shots.

Cutsman; very nice. Originally I felt a bit... overwhelmed by the trees, possibly because of the 10mm focal length, but looking back, its very nice.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
rjg001: I think that picture would be great for a car advertisement. :D

Here's another one of mine:
405210288_2bcf1c7167.jpg

1/750, f/4.5, ISO 80

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Here is one I took recently. I am very much still a newb and took the camera out one night looking for some shots and at times using my car as a subject. I kind of like the way this one came out. Only processing after the fact was some cropping.
2305120693_c63a2fc26a.jpg

I like it but I think it would look better if the foreground and up to about the car didn't look so orange. It seems to me once you get past the end of the bridge/overpass or whatever it is that the colors look good. Take this with a grain of salt as I am a relative newb myself.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
It can be a lonely place...

henry1yc6.jpg

I love this shot. In my opinion it is far better than the shot with the dog's owners in it. (Although the colors in that shot still make it very impressive) I really enjoy the emptiness of the pic and the size of the dog is perfect!

edit: I'd really like to visit that place!

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Redwood Burl

Nikon D40 w/18-55. Shot at 50mm, F/9, 1/400sec.

I'm a noob at this, so comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.:)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Eastern Oregon near Malheur Wildlife Refuge

I think I'll try to revive this thread... here's a scan from a roll of black and white Agfa film I developed in Rodinol. I'm experimenting with scanning black and white negs, which are trickier to scan well than to print and scan on a flatbed. Also, no Digital ICE4 dust/scratch removal with b/w film.

SCN0063.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.