Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
2353253714_50a6393e6d_b.jpg

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
selfportrait16.jpg

Self portrait
-- I usually hate photochopped pictures, but there was something neat about this one. It was one thirty second exposure and I desaturated everything but my hand. Although there wasn't a lot to desaturate as the background was a dull dark brown and my pants are a grey blue.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Out of gas... 3rd place will have to do

Leading late, this young runner finds comfort in his friends after finishing third.

I forgot to use digital ICE on the scan, so a few boo boos showed up. I'll rescan it later.

SCN0064.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 28-105
Fuji Super G 800

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I really like it. Was it taken over the M5? And was that a police car that caused the blue lights on the hard shoulder?

How on earth can you tell that that is the M5?! Very impressive! Can you tell me which junction it is though?!
The blue lights were actually on top of a lorry in the inside lane I think. I took another pic exactly the same but nobody drove south in 30 whole seconds!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Leading late, this young runner finds comfort in his friends after finishing third.
Canon EOS A2
Canon 28-105
Fuji Super G 800

Whew, if he just ran a steeplechase, I feel the pain too! I ran a few of those in college and they kill your legs after 2000m or so. The water jumps are quite dangerous once you run out of steam!

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I am trying to upload a picture but I keep getting a fatal error. Why is this? I will try later from a different network if that might work better.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
A doggy portrait.

I don't have any experience on portraits really, but i think this one turned out a bit more than okay (IMO).

2374570617_be0957eb73_b.jpg

...f1/50...50mm...ISO 1600...

Chillijam

macrumors member
One from Crathes Castle, Scotland...

Crathes%20Castle%20HDR.jpg

C&C Appreciated.

I like that a lot. I felt a warm breeze just looking at it. :)

My effort for the day - I've ben playing with DOF on my DSLR, and came up with this. I know the glare on the screen is awful, but I wanted to get the full depth of the keyboard. Cropping the screen out wouldn't have given me the overall effect I was after, and anyway, I'm still learning the basics with a DSLR. :)

MacBook1b.jpg

C&C, if you would be so kind. ;)

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
How on earth can you tell that that is the M5?! Very impressive! Can you tell me which junction it is though?!
The blue lights were actually on top of a lorry in the inside lane I think. I took another pic exactly the same but nobody drove south in 30 whole seconds!

At a guess it's somewhere around Junction 11 or 10

Oh and a pure guess based on the fact your location is Cheltenham...

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
I believe the dog behind this door is a toy poodle.

D80, 50mm, ISO400, 1/3200 at f2.8

Attachments

• Beware.jpg
    Beware.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 80

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
I like that a lot. I felt a warm breeze just looking at it. :)

My effort for the day - I've ben playing with DOF on my DSLR, and came up with this. I know the glare on the screen is awful, but I wanted to get the full depth of the keyboard. Cropping the screen out wouldn't have given me the overall effect I was after, and anyway, I'm still learning the basics with a DSLR. :)

MacBook1b.jpg

C&C, if you would be so kind. ;)

I'm sorry... I think this kind of DOF work is very, very weak, having myself taken what I thought were great shots and then finding out that a narrow DOF left the photos looking silly.

If you're using a narrow depth of field on a still shot you are obviously going for some sort of effect, but I can't imagine what that effect is here - having a small slice of the keyboard in focus will not give you its "full depth".

This might come off harsh, but you must learn to use your DSLR for good, and not evil!

Chillijam

macrumors member
I'm sorry... I think this kind of DOF work is very, very weak, having myself taken what I thought were great shots and then finding out that a narrow DOF left the photos looking silly.

If you're using a narrow depth of field on a still shot you are obviously going for some sort of effect, but I can't imagine what that effect is here - having a small slice of the keyboard in focus will not give you its "full depth".

This might come off harsh, but you must learn to use your DSLR for good, and not evil!

That's fine - I asked for C&C so I can't complain if you don't like it, can I? ;)

I do know what you mean, though. There isn't really a point to the shot other than as a technical exercise. I guess that the actual subject matter was a secondary consideration here.

Either way, I still like it. :)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

Maybe we should go a bit easier. The depth of field is achieved, and for a beginning, it is a great step. It's not an original shot, but it is still worthy of encouragement.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I imagine this sort of thing is terribly cliche, but my D40 arrived today (first SLR) so I hope you let me off. :D

2380698245_02c6be63f6_b.jpg

You know, I love these types of photos. This one has a certain appeal though, to me it is very clean, the facing bridge adds balance to the photo.

Am waiting for my camera to arrive and this is one of the pictures I want to take, just need to find the right location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.