Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
DSC_0698.jpg

I guess its pretty safe to call me the 'lizard man' at this point.. 3 of my last photos have been of lizards? It would be nice to be able to walk out into the backyard and see a bird or something for once! ;)

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007

I took this while at a highschool rugby game.
I then kept the flag the same color but desaturated the rest of the pictuer.

nylock10

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
Still trying to get better with my new Sony DSC-W200, so I decided to try to make an HDR photo after reading a tutorial online:

web.jpg

There's some problems with it, but it's good for a start :D

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Still trying to get better with my new Sony DSC-W200, so I decided to try to make an HDR photo after reading a tutorial online:

web.jpg

There's some problems with it, but it's good for a start :D

be wary, don't just use HDR to make a neat looking picture. you have to have a good looking picture to start with or else you end up with a flashy bad picture. and remember, less is more.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Thank you

Where did you get all of those bottle caps!?

There's a big, clear plastic box at the cafeteria of my school. This was actually one of my first few pictures "as a photographer" because this was from the first roll of film I've shot in my first photography class.

theenigmat

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
Hear Me Out

I've been on these forums, specifically the Photography forum for the last year or so. I don't submit much, but I get tons of inspiration from some of the pictures on the Picture of the Day thread. Bear that in mind as I continue.

I have noticed since we moved to single month threads that the threads have gotten increasingly larger. Whether that is because nobody is using the timg switch or not, I'm not sure. Regardless, it seems that the focus on the thread has become very individualistic, with posters just wanting to get their own stuff up as often as possible. (Doylem, Valdore, and Carlos - to name a few - are exempt from this rule because their pictures typically kick a$$)

I sure I speak for many of you when I say that I would love to get a comment or two on a photo. There could be more appreciation for the amazing work on the thread instead of just a smattering of pictures without much commenting on others' work.

Just a thought.

The "macrumors newbie"

Mat

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
be wary, don't just use HDR to make a neat looking picture. you have to have a good looking picture to start with or else you end up with a flashy bad picture. and remember, less is more.

"less is more" is probably the best advice for any media product - images/graphics/photos.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I've been on these forums, specifically the Photography forum for the last year or so. I don't submit much, but I get tons of inspiration from some of the pictures on the Picture of the Day thread. Bear that in mind as I continue.

I have noticed since we moved to single month threads that the threads have gotten increasingly larger. Whether that is because nobody is using the timg switch or not, I'm not sure. Regardless, it seems that the focus on the thread has become very individualistic, with posters just wanting to get their own stuff up as often as possible. (Doylem, Valdore, and Carlos - to name a few - are exempt from this rule because their pictures typically kick a$$)

I sure I speak for many of you when I say that I would love to get a comment or two on a photo. There could be more appreciation for the amazing work on the thread instead of just a smattering of pictures without much commenting on others' work.

Just a thought.

The "macrumors newbie"

Mat

The comments for each picture are mainly for the critique threads. I'm not saying you can't critique, but posting one picture per day is what this thread is for.
Having said that a pat on the back to the poster before you is always a nice thing to do.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA

Just a thought.

The "macrumors newbie"

Mat

Thanks for the props on my work.

Addressing your other points - all I can say is that there are many times I feel I should issue praise for other peoples' work in the photo threads, but quite often I don't get around to it. It's a common plague of laziness on my part, and I suspect it affects others too. :)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007

Just a thought.

The "macrumors newbie"

Mat

Thanks! I haven't been posting as much as I would like to, more like a photo every 3-5 days. I too am in the same boat as eric there are some amazing photos but I get to lazy to comment when I am not logged in to my account.

But i will change, Gad Damn'it!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Just a thought.

The "macrumors newbie"

Mat

Of course your thoughts are as welcome as anyone else's. The size of the threads is based on the number of posts, not by the failure to use timg tags while replying. One thing the mods have tried to encourage is the multi-quote when commenting/replying to more than one previous post and the use of the "timg" tag in the reply instead of repeating the original size pic in the post... What the larger threads tells me is that there is more participation by more people regularly than in the beginning. That's good, IMO.

From what I see, the overall tone of the thread is pretty much the same as when it was just one long, year-long thread, with random folks offering up their work, and some regulars doing it as often as once a day. And, comments on the pics are fairly plentiful, but certainly not guaranteed even when someone asks for C&C. That's why the photo critique thread was started, but seems to have died. I've had many photo posts with absolutely no comments, but I know people have seen them because of how many views the thread has logged. That's good enough for me. Sometimes a "no comment" says enough, for me anyway. There are some spectacular offerings here which get most of the response, but that's as it should be if you think about it.

Just my $0.02 worth. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
IT makes me smile )))))))))))) THANKS!

It makes me smile too, every time I look at it. But I can't claim any credit; it's an image I downloaded from the web ages ago, and I don't know whose pic it is. It seemed appropriate for April Fool's Day (plus, apart from the leaping fox, it's the kind of pic I take)...

Why did the Fox jump over the sheep? Why indeed...

About comments... I like to flag up shots that work well (IMO). I can't usefully comment on pix that are really poor, 'cos my comments would sound rather ungenerous.

I steer clear of C & C when photographers post a pic and say how much they like it. And I'm baffled when people post and say the pic isn't very good (erm... why bother posting it at all?). Either way, a further comment seems kinda superfluous.

What interests me particularly are those shots that are 'nearly good'... that with a bit more thought, or patience, or technique could have been really special. There are a lot of photographers here who just need a little 'push' to move up a gear, and what makes the difference is seldom a new camera or lens. It's attitude, discipline, taking care of the details... all that stuff. They're likely to take comments at face value, and not get too defensive. And, hell, it's only someone else's opinion anyway, and can easily be ignored :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.