Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
2008-03-24at11-34-36.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

I like it. My first reaction was to make a remark that the horizon is almost in the middle. But this time it works for me. The height from which the photo was taken gives me the impression the impression that I am standing there the bow, enjoying the view and the solitude.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
This reminds me of film processed using something called pyro developer. If you did that then did a contact print on 100% rag paper you would be amazed at the results. I love this shot.

Thanks - I like those traditional film effects, but I didn't have to get my hands dirty for this. I was just using Adobe Camera Raw: Curves to adjust the contrast, Grayscale conversion with some tweaking of the Mix sliders, then some subtle Split Toning.

How did you make this so sharp? well done, well done.

Thanks - the original shot was fairly sharp. I was using the Nikon 70-200/f2.8 VR at 200mm on my D200 - handheld 1/30s, f4, with a touch of fill-in flash.

In Photoshop I resized then sharpened: Lab Colour Sharpening with Smart Sharpen...

Lab Colour - select Lightness channel - Smart Sharpen - then back to RGB.

Smart Sharpen settings: I use Lens Blur, radius 0.3 pixels (for web photos) then adjust Amount until it's sharp, but not too sharp. Probably about 120% this time.

Sometimes Unsharp Mask is more appropriate, when I need to adjust the Threshold, but I often think Smart Sharpening looks better.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Since I cant get my picture's to upload I will just link you to the one that I have been trying to upload.
http://flickr.com/photos/kermeter/2382866116/
That is the picture on flickr.

It is kinda ironic I find it that I have pictures with maybe 20 views and 2 comments. Then I have this picture with 500+ views and 1 comments.
What are the odds?

Scalfani

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
One of my first shots with a canon dslr rebel xti. I like it a lot, but think it may be a bit too dark. I have no experience with photo editing software, but plan to buy Aperature soon. I am brand new to this hobby, so any comments/ suggestions are much appreciated. It seems like all of my photos outside are too dark(under exposed I think its called). I tried upping the ISO to 400 and thought that would help... anyway hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Barbwire.jpg
    Barbwire.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 122

Lightglance.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
One of my first shots with a canon dslr rebel xti. I like it a lot, but think it may be a bit too dark. I have no experience with photo editing software, but plan to buy Aperature soon. I am brand new to this hobby, so any comments/ suggestions are much appreciated. It seems like all of my photos outside are too dark(under exposed I think its called). I tried upping the ISO to 400 and thought that would help... anyway hope you enjoy!

I don't see what you mean by the picture being to dark, make sure your screen isn't to dark. The picture lacks some contrast to my opinion, but in general a good picture to be one of your first with a DSLR.

Very cool picture iBallz:)

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto

If you find it too dark, look in the manual for "exposure compensation". Boosting is ISO (assuming you're shooting in Auto right now) won't make the photo any "brighter" because the camera will just choose a faster shutter speed or small aperture to keep the exposure the same.

It does this so that it achieves what IT thinks is "the right exposure". By changing the exposure compensation, you are telling the camera what the "correct exposure" should be, and it will make the changes accordingly.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
olderman.jpg

Shutter: 1/30 // Aperture: f/9.1 // Focal Length: 400 mm // ISO 100

I'm amazed you managed to get this pic so sharp at 400mm w/ 1/60s. Are you using an IS lens, or you a surgeon in your spare time?

Yes, image stabilization on my telephoto Canon lens. (Canon 100-400 L f/4.5). I sold my left nut for this lens. The new photo in this post is with this lens, handheld as well.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
So so so much noise... But I love it anyway:

Click the above image for EXIF.

Fellow MR member, SuperCompu and I had a blast shooting at this event. We used my two Nikons and a number of different lenses. Tough conditions, thus we shot all in manual. Tis fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.