Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightglance.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
protest.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/80 // Aperture: f/12.9 // Focal Length: 17 mm // ISO 100

...weekly anti-war demonstration, Kansas City Missouri. Taken this afternoon.

Would it be possible to see the original on this one Eric?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yeah i like the HDR one wwwwwayyy better, the details, the clouds, the houses in the background, the trees, specially the details in the trees...

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Wow fett, that's an amazing image.

I absolutely agree! If you don't mind, could you tell us what PP you've done (if any)?

Thanks.

Now what PP I've done. The photo was processed through photomatrix (HDR) with three different jpegs that I adjusted the exposure in lightroom. The main purpose of this was to get some more detail in the shadow areas in the back and roof of the building. I tried to get the hdr image as natural as possible and then adjusted curves and b/w in photoshop. I sharpened for the web at the final step.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
protest.jpg
...weekly anti-war demonstration, Kansas City Missouri. Taken this afternoon.

I can appreciate the craft of HDR images, and the skill needed to create something worthwhile... but I'm not sure it improves people pix. And the effect on a pic of an event seems to suggest that the event never happened... that its an invention...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Yeah, here's the totally unedited version attached...

Well, for me it's no contest - the original is far better. The tones are more natural, the grass looks more natural, the woman in the foreground looks much more natural, the sign looks more natural, even the glare-ish looking sky from that angle looks more natural. The picture is photojournalisitic, and as such tells a story, a story which gets shoved aside in favor of the "special effects." I will grant that it might work as a Norman Rockwellish sort of poster suggestive of graphic art or painting, but I'm not sure looking at it if the intent is to produce an art piece, or a photo that tells a story. In this case I'm all about the story, and fancying it up makes me question it's credibility - the ultimate question; can I believe what I'm seeing?

Also, BTW, this type of hdr doesn't do any favors for people in a picture. It makes them look unnatural and unattractive, and even sickly. And it loses an sense of "true" sharpness to my eye, perhaps because of all the extra edge noise/contrast and 3d texture. I say, "stick to the landscapes with this hdr methodology." :) Cheers, and hope you don't mind my honest opinion.

Chillijam

macrumors member
To throw some more fuel on the fires of my opinions of HDR, I decided to play around a little today.

HDR_sign.jpg

It doesn't really qualify as full-on HDR, since all I did was underexposed (in Capture One) the sky, and then manually cobbled the original image into the foreground.

I quite like the effect on this one, but some of the others in the series were a little less successful. Useful learning exercise, though.

liveexpo

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
Guitarist

phillydo9.jpg

Reposting, because i originally placed it in the wrong month!

500C/M
1/80
Ilford Delta 400 120

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
To throw some more fuel on the fires of my opinions of HDR, I decided to play around a little today.

HDR_sign.jpg

It doesn't really qualify as full-on HDR, since all I did was underexposed (in Capture One) the sky, and then manually cobbled the original image into the foreground.

I quite like the effect on this one, but some of the others in the series were a little less successful. Useful learning exercise, though.

Hmmm... with the time and effort needed to "cobble images together", it might have been easier to wait for some revealing light to give the image some natural sparkle. I don''t think that HDR has improved it...

Chillijam

macrumors member
Hmmm... with the time and effort needed to "cobble images together", it might have been easier to wait for some revealing light to give the image some natural sparkle. I don''t think that HDR has improved it...

You are, of course, quite right. Unfortunately I didn't have time to wait for the right light today, and I'm not sure when (or even if) I'll be able to revisit this site so I wanted to make the best of what I had. :)

Having said that, I feel there's something about the industrial bleakness and washed out colours that appeals to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.