Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
At Home, At Work

Loas_Old_Woman.jpg

At Home, At Work
Northern Laos
December, 2007.
Nikon D40 + NIKKOR 18-200mm VR
Chance landed me in a remote town in Laos due to low water during a boat trip in Laos. While all the Germans discussed our options, I broke out the Nikon and...

johngrant75

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Robin Cook has let himself go!

Brighton Beach, thought it was an uncanny likeness as well as a nice shot.

Attachments

• robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 66

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Okay, this is my picture of the day, it's not by far as good as some of the pictures here, but i got my tripod today and just had to try it out.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Got a glimpse of Spring here in Seattle so I thought I'd take a picture of a flower.

Nikon D200
Aperture Priority @ f/7.1
56mm (Tamron 28-75mm f2.8) @ 100 ISO
Nikon SB-600 on -1 Priority with Wide Angle diffuser for fill

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
In awe of gorilla's.

Photo of my nephew at the calgary zoo. The monkeys and gorillas were his favorite part as you can see from his stuffed animal.

PS: sorry about the watermark but after some of the stories I've read on flickr you can never be too careful with photos of kids especially someone else's kids.

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Thank you!

http://brandondavis.us/me/DSC_0177.jpg[t/img]

Playing some catch.. Love the emotion in this one but the ball blurred just a bit.[/QUOTE]

That's a good thing. If the ball was sharply focused, it would appear to be floating in the air. The slight blur implies motion, which fits the subject perfectly. Another good picture.

BTW, did he catch the ball with his eyes closed?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Here's my photo today...yes the building is crooked, i think it was built that way hahahaha:D Feel free to comment:
ecd194fce1424a3aad0576fff54d9fa2

HDR? Or some other technique?? Whatever youve used, it doesn't seem to suit the subject; the hut looks to be made of cardboard. ;)

The hut's leaning, the trees are leaning... I wouldn't consider a pic quite finished until it was straightened up...

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
Valdore-

I am going to differ from what other people are saying about your HDR with people.

First of all, I think it is the photographer to decide what he prefers and the way he portrays a certain image. I mean, I am sure a lot of people thought Monet was crazy when he did these impressionistic paintings. Who would have thought attaching a bicycle wheel to a stool would be worth millions of dollars one day (Dada)?

My personal opinion is that it adds a lot of interest in the image. Most photojournalism bores me just because most people focus on the message rather than an interesting image. You end up with a firefighter putting out a fire or a policeman handcuffing a drunk. While these images can have excellent technique and be intriguing, they often are not. Valdore's original image has the meaning, and in interesting one at that, but otherwise it is not an image I would look at for more than 10 seconds. Once he perfected the image in post processing with HDR, the image all of a sudden becomes much more interesting. You can see the emotion on their faces, and though they are not as attractive (if they ever were attractive), you can feel the pain and agony these people go through to get their point across. For me, it adds much more depth to the image.

Just my two cents. I have not seen so many interesting pictures by one poster over the six months that I have been eyeing this thread, and considering the skill of the photographers here, that surely says a lot.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Valdore-

I am going to differ from what other people are saying about your HDR with people.

First of all, I think it is the photographer to decide what he prefers and the way he portrays a certain image. I mean, I am sure a lot of people thought Monet was crazy when he did these impressionistic paintings. Who would have thought attaching a bicycle wheel to a stool would be worth millions of dollars one day (Dada)?

My personal opinion is that it adds a lot of interest in the image. Most photojournalism bores me just because most people focus on the message rather than an interesting image. You end up with a firefighter putting out a fire or a policeman handcuffing a drunk. While these images can have excellent technique and be intriguing, they often are not. Valdore's original image has the meaning, and in interesting one at that, but otherwise it is not an image I would look at for more than 10 seconds. Once he perfected the image in post processing with HDR, the image all of a sudden becomes much more interesting. You can see the emotion on their faces, and though they are not as attractive (if they ever were attractive), you can feel the pain and agony these people go through to get their point across. For me, it adds much more depth to the image.

Just my two cents. I have not seen so many interesting pictures by one poster over the six months that I have been eyeing this thread, and considering the skill of the photographers here, that surely says a lot.

Yes, Valdore is free to use whatever technique he wants on his photos - no problem there - and other people are free to comment on them...

My concern about 'documentary-style' people pix is a kind of 'unwritten contract' with the viewer that what is shown in the pic actually happened... that it wasn't 'set-up' or digitally manipulated. Adding HDR breaks that contract and sends out two contradictory messages: "this happened" and "this didn't really happen". That's why it doesn't work for me...

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, Valdore is free to use whatever technique he wants on his photos - no problem there - and other people are free to comment on them...

My concern about 'documentary-style' people pix is a kind of 'unwritten contract' with the viewer that what is shown in the pic actually happened... that it wasn't 'set-up' or digitally manipulated. Adding HDR breaks that contract and sends out two contradictory messages: "this happened" and "this didn't really happen". That's why it doesn't work for me...

Thats kinda like saying all those Micheal Jackson trials never really happened because all people saw where courtroom sketches. I don't understand how adding in any type of post proccesing effect to a photo negates the reality of its occurance. "Documentary-Style" is just that-- a style. I dont think this means restricting all photo journalism to such standards.

I really like what your doing valdore. Ironically, I had also taken a slew of protest photos recently, one of which was actually published in the Long Beach City paper (which i post processed in HDR):

2368762205_a83ccdbfa9_o.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Valdore-

I'm glad you prefer whatever you prefer - it's definitely why art in all it's various forms can find fans and consumers. Certainly I am not going to discredit Valdore's work, or style, as he is very good at what he does. However, any artist should be comfortable with feedback, including negative. Sure, art is primarily the vision of the artist, but in the end in order to be recognized as "good" or "bad" it requires opinions of the public. Some artists make money, some don't. It isn't really a matter of "quality" because art is a subjective concept. It would take a lot of space to even start on the subject of what art is. A monkey scribbling doodles, then it becomes somehow collectible. Art collectors compete to own pieces, thus legitimizing the "art." But, is it really the art itself, or the cultural interest in the art expressed by a celebrity-obsessed culture. Are a famous person's photographs better than a non-famous person's? Which would be more collectible? Why? Are photos of famous people more interesting than ordinary people? Are they more marketable, more valuable? Is documentary/photojournalism ever considered art? Of course it is, if it can be seen as having a certain merit socially and historically and stylistically. But there are inherent limitations in the "creative license" of anything considered journalism - to not deceive, to not manipulate the truth, however boring you might consider that. There are reasons why photojournalists who couldn't help themselves by spicing up their images ended up fired - even something like posing the subjects for an "improved" version of a photo they already had captured "live." It's all about integrity in photojournalism - the truth. Cameras can always lie by omission, life can be modified by use of composition techniques and wide-angle/telephoto views, but at least the notion that the images reflect what it was like. Post processing is certainly allowed, but if every picture in a newspaper suddenly began having dramatic skies and obvious "style sheets" imposed on the look of the pictures, people would become suspicious that underneath all of this beauty on the page perhaps something was added, or removed. It's a slippery slope, but primarily applies to photojournalism - not art or commercial photography.

If photojournalism bores you, you haven't really looked at much of it. National Geographic certainly comes to mind. Good, strong photojournalism can be among the most compelling and touching images out there. The problem is that it is becoming a dying "art." Basic shots on deadline, run as small and b/w, grip 'n grins for local public relations in small communities, high school activities (ordinary life...) often only interesting to those in the pictures. Local city council meetings. High school sports in dark gyms, rodeo queen inaugurations in small towns. Yes, most of this can be very boring to the non-participants or non-locals. Yet, in the hands of a good photojournalist who is given the space and time to compose a multi-photo feature, you can also find magic. It's not easy, but I contend that if done the right way, photojournalism is far from boring. It's about using those tools of curiosity, attention to detail, superb composition given the circumstances, "being there" so you can be there, knowing enough about the subject to make pictures that make sense, not just look pretty. I was in a landscape gallery in Sedona Arizona a few years ago, and the photos were absolutely gorgeous. The large prints cost several thousand dollars, and were stunning in their light and detail. But, after spending a half-hour in the gallery, suddenly, and without warning... I became bored. Too much candy. Too much of the same thing. I needed the pictures to be about something unique, but they were all about the same subject - landscape and light. Extremely well done, of course. But my taste buds were de-sensitized.
However, exhibits on photojournalism I've seen, from the University of Arizona to the University of Texas to the Portland Art Museum to exhibits from the National Press Photographers Association have left me captivated. I suggest visiting the NPPA website, and check out the still photography award winners and tons of other information on a "boring" subject. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.