Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Here is one from my recent trip to Amsterdam

2376633553_b22290bde8_b.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
img_7594__1__2_tonemapped-copy.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR // Shutter: 1/60 // Aperture: f/14.1 // Focal Length: 400 mm // ISO 500

Bro... this "type" of hdr doesn't work here for me. I don't think this young lady would be too flattered by this shot of her. I don't see where an extreme contrast problem would require the use of hdr in the first place, well... maybe her sleeve, but the technique, while making landscapes look dramatic and moody, tends to look a lot like using a green filter with black/white film as far as skin tones are concerned - which brings out every complexion variation/blemish/blotchiness -basically not advised. It's my opinion that this shot would have been better off left natural, and let the highlights fall where they may, just leave her face perfectly exposed (lit the way it was in the actual scene.) :)

Still trying to get better with my new Sony DSC-W200, so I decided to try to make an HDR photo after reading a tutorial online:

web.jpg

There's some problems with it, but it's good for a start :D

I'm not sure how making an hdr photo helps get better with a camera, but definitely mastering both is a good thing. Just a word about your photo - if it's technique you're trying to learn, for me it's way oversaturated. It just looks fake. Use this as a guide, not the gospel. If extreme color saturation is what you were looking for, you did achieve it.

Utah State Capitol just after sunset 4-2-08
I found myself leaning back and to the right just a bit looking at this... ;)

Note: Right after mentioning how mods were requesting the use of "timg" tags in post replies, two replies to Doylem's fox/sheep shot were replayed at full size. I just thought it was funny, and ironic.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Makeshift memorial from his schoolmates and friends

Flowers and balloons placed near the intersection where a young boy was run down and killed by a hit-and-run driver. The driver was caught the next day. It's a tragic story, but maybe the picture can make folks think as they drive.

SCN0105.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 20-35mm
Fujicolor 400

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Erm... I'm no architect... but if a building is leaning at the top, then it's leaning at the bottom too. ;)

Yeah, that's right! But I also shot from downhill and to the east of the building. Plus there's a place less than 1/2 mile from the capitol called "gravity hill" where the slope is such that if you stop and put your car in neutral it appears that you are coasting up-hill.

I can't explain it, but if anyone would like to try and straighten the photo they're welcome to try!

SLC

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Yeah, that's right! But I also shot from downhill and to the east of the building. Plus there's a place less than 1/2 mile from the capitol called "gravity hill" where the slope is such that if you stop and put your car in neutral it appears that you are coasting up-hill.

I can't explain it, but if anyone would like to try and straighten the photo they're welcome to try!

The only reason it seems odd is 'cos the camera was pointed slightly upwards. When in doubt, I'd always straighten the central section; ie the dome (but I'd make sure the camera was level too ;))...

whitehousesl5.jpg

Lightglance.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Note: Right after mentioning how mods were requesting the use of "timg" tags in post replies, two replies to Doylem's fox/sheep shot were replayed at full size. I just thought it was funny, and ironic.

Sorry, i have been wondering what the tag does, and just realized it...
Next picture quote from me is with [img]...

digitalphotog77

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
The day I was superman

Taken downtown Buckhead, GA flying in a r22 helicopter.

2267015408_3043009c3e_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 16 mm
ISO Speed: 200

forty31

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
Quincy, IL
Posted this in another thread, but thought I would add it here for some C&C. I'm new to this world of photography...always trying to learn and grow. C&C are welcome

Attachments

• IMG_2492-1a.jpg
    IMG_2492-1a.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 82

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Posted this in another thread, but thought I would add it here for some C&C. I'm new to this world of photography...always trying to learn and grow. C&C are welcome

I like how you've got down on the floor, to avoid looking down on her. But the wide-angle view makes her head seem disproportionately big for her body. Might be better with a longer than standard lens (or zoom setting), and shoot from further away... :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I like how you've got down on the floor, to avoid looking down on her. But the wide-angle view makes her head seem disproportionately big for her body. Might be better with a longer than standard lens (or zoom setting), and shoot from further away... :)

John... did you already forget that that's the way little kids are??

BTW: She's cute. It makes a nice, ground level shot that shows her personality. Keep taking pics of her from down low, and eventually she'll just ignore you and then you'll get some incredible candids. I do agree with Doylem about using a longer lens, just to make the portraits "pop" and to get the proportions more pleasing in general...

forty31

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
Quincy, IL
John... did you already forget that that's the way little kids are??

BTW: She's cute. It makes a nice, ground level shot that shows her personality. Keep taking pics of her from down low, and eventually she'll just ignore you and then you'll get some incredible candids. I do agree with Doylem about using a longer lens, just to make the portraits "pop" and to get the proportions more pleasing in general...

Thanks for the comments, I'll try a longer lens next time. After reading your comments I do see that her head seems disproportionately big, but in all honesty her head is huge...like an orange on a toothpick. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
candid portrait of a guest at a recent wedding
This reminds me of film processed using something called pyro developer. If you did that then did a contact print on 100% rag paper you would be amazed at the results. I love this shot.

Here is one from my recent trip to Amsterdam
There is a famous photo out there by Stieglitz I think. I was reminded of that when I saw this. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.