Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theenigmat

macrumors member
May 10, 2006

Ok, not to be a complete jerk but... The technique is a little overdone. When you have a shot and only a small horizontal band of the frame is in focus, it looks tacky and gives me a headache. Yea, now I'm probably the jerk of the week, but thank God it's Friday. I just can't keep looking at those. The first few were interesting but as can be the case with HDR, the technique has been overused and misused.

Rant over.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Though I like the composition and lighting, the model seems rather tense (mouth & jaw-line). The way she's leaning on her knees makes her legs look as if they're not quite part of her (they're vertical, like fence posts).

Does this make any sense? :)

Yep, thanks for the tip. :)

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Ok, not to be a complete jerk but... The technique is a little overdone. When you have a shot and only a small horizontal band of the frame is in focus, it looks tacky and gives me a headache. Yea, now I'm probably the jerk of the week, but thank God it's Friday. I just can't keep looking at those. The first few were interesting but as can be the case with HDR, the technique has been overused and misused.

Rant over.

Lol I see where you are coming from, the only thing about the horizontal line is that when you perform the technique in photoshop, you apply a gradient mask, which gives a straight line. We are just looking for criticism and not trying to bombard the thread with tilt-shift. :D

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Rant over.

I agree... pretty much. HDR cranked up to 11... Fish-eye lenses with buildings 'falling down'... Tilt/shift for no apparent reason... I'm not critical of these techniques, it's just that they make my eyes ache (literally!). When I look at a photo i want to see a subject, not a 'technique'... and I don't want a migraine... :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
It's almost May and winter in Utah will NOT leave... it's so annoying. Hey everyone, don't forget to water your ice!

water_the_ice.jpg

LINK

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
MV Spartan

2441124632_8bdd77511e_b.jpg

Taken last night at the Harbour a couple of miles from my home. This is the Mv Spartan, it's a Clyde Puffer which is a type of little boat that used to supply the islands around Scotland.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Nice shot, wheezy. The ice looks almost extra-terrestrial..

Another shot from the garden..

Thank goodness it's the weekend, hopefully I'll be able to get out a bit more next week to take photos (as this week my teachers have just been piling on the homework..)

20080425-q781x8qn71289ps55erjs65rh4.jpg

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I agree... pretty much. HDR cranked up to 11... Fish-eye lenses with buildings 'falling down'... Tilt/shift for no apparent reason... I'm not critical of these techniques, it's just that they make my eyes ache (literally!). When I look at a photo i want to see a subject, not a 'technique'... and I don't want a migraine... :)

Rant over.

Thanks for someone saying it! ;)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Me too! Personally, I see these as examples of technique simply for the sake of technique. I've always believed that work on an image should enhance the result - not confuse it!

Having said that, full marks for experimenting! Just put it down to one of life's failures and now move on! ;)

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I bought a dSLR in August but haven't been using it... Now I've started taking it out to learn. I'm reading up on some stuff and was amazed at firework photos on my Canon. Normal handheld cameras just cannot take them.

From a photography point of view, i suppose you'd want to take out the coloured smoke... but I think it adds to the eeriness for me...

Green-Fireworks.jpg

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I bought a dSLR in August but haven't been using it... Now I've started taking it out to learn. I'm reading up on some stuff and was amazed at firework photos on my Canon. Normal handheld cameras just cannot take them.

From a photography point of view, i suppose you'd want to take out the coloured smoke... but I think it adds to the eeriness for me...

Lovely photo if you ask me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.