Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
I would add one, but I've already posted today.... Maybe tomorrow.

Not sure if you are interested in C&C, but I think this image would be more striking by cropping in a bit to exclude everything in the background. Just the bird and the inner circle of "eyes." The people and trees in the background are distractions for me. The subject is clearly the peacock and I think the image would be stronger by filling the frame with the subject. Take this with a grain of salt--don't wish to offend.

Sure, no problem, thanks. C&C always appreciated. I had the same problem with the background, but wanted to keep all the plumage in the pic. I cropped it and made some adjustments in "Picnik," and actually like it better:

4481833907_c90b9f3b3f_b.jpg

-Click it-

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Sure, no problem, thanks. C&C always appreciated. I had the same problem with the background, but wanted to keep all the plumage in the pic. I cropped it and made some adjustments in "Picnik," and actually like it better:

4481833907_c90b9f3b3f_b.jpg

-Click it-

I like it better too after the crop (for whatever that is worth). Very nice shot.

I'd play around with the cropping a bit more (not that there are any problems with what you have posted here)--maybe see how it looks by excluding the feet or maybe moving the body off-center. Or maybe cropping the body out totally and focusing on the plumage. I like the symmetry of your current crop and I think it works, but I'd consider some variations. Ultimately it's about what you end up liking. And it may very well be that you nailed it with your current crop/adjustments. But I've surprised myself in the past by playing with cropping. Non-intuitive crops have sometimes resulted in interesting compositions. Which has altered how I compose future scenes at the time of image capture. Not saying this is relevant to this image, but experimentation can help with the learning process.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
7000 ft

Standing at the base of the Palmer glacier (7000 ft. level) looking toward the top of Mt. Hood. The lift on the left is the highest lift at Timberline, and is the only all-year skiing area in the U.S. Mt. Hood is 11, 249 ft. at the peak.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/160
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 40mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Standing at the base of the Palmer glacier (7000 ft. level) looking toward the top of Mt. Hood. The lift on the left is the highest lift at Timberline, and is the only all-year skiing area in the U.S. Mt. Hood is 11, 249 ft. at the peak.

Nice pic!
Did you stitch these together using several shots or is it one shot?

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe

Great shot. Wonderful detail in the shadows.

The light is special in these two. They each capture a particular time of day, and a particular mood. They show that it's important to be out at the right time of day, and to wait patiently for the right moment. Both of those places look like they'd be conducive to waiting.

A pair of lovely shots.

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit that while I am normally a patient photographer, the mill shot was a case of right place at the right time. I have loads of pics from my Europe trip taken under drab conditions. It is nice to have a few keepers.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
That was my second guess, but i couldnt think of the name. I used to lifeguard at the pool there. Fun times. :) Quite a scenic little area of town. Are the geese still out and about?

I understand the geese show up but I have not seen any. Lots of ducks and pigeons though.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
A pair of lovely shots.

Mine for the day (still going through my cruise pics):

4481588493_ee394ce3e8_o.jpg

The cables are zip lines. You rig yourself into a harness and then ride them down, dangling underneath. 500 ft vertical drop, can't remember the total length. You travel down the cables...quickly. While it looks like the cables dive into the ocean it's an optical illusion. They stay above water and end on the distant beach. Total blast.

MAN, you made my heart skip a beat. I was on Labadee last year and had such a fantastic time on Royal Caribbean. What ship is that? I was on the Liberty of the Seas.

Almost got to ride that, it was windy and they wouldn't allow anyone over 200lbs to go down, and despite my best dieting I was still around 205... I was sad.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
MAN, you made my heart skip a beat. I was on Labadee last year and had such a fantastic time on Royal Caribbean. What ship is that? I was on the Liberty of the Seas.

Almost got to ride that, it was windy and they wouldn't allow anyone over 200lbs to go down, and despite my best dieting I was still around 205... I was sad.

Same ship. What a small world.

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Having read the previous posts I'm going to have to remember to start @ f/ 8 and go from there. Also, I found it's somewhat frustrating to shoot at a car show. Especially a big car show, because there are people every where, hence the framing on this one. Does this composition still work?
4475532981_2874256b17.jpg

f8 is a golden rule of thumb, rules can be broken. I would suggest looking at MTF charts for your lens(es) to see where they're optically best - some are sharpest at f8, some f11. Then there's center and corner sharpness. As to your latest image, look a bit underexposed, and perhaps too close/tightly cropped. Shooting cars isn't easy.

Dave

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
taken two nights ago

I really like this shot, but it has 1 minor issue and 1 major issue (at least for me) - slight colour cast (minor issue) and blur/unsharp (if you look at the image closely). I presume you did not use a tripod for this shot? Next time, do so!!! and a cable release.

Nice landscape! Has a slight HDR feel to it as well.

And my peacock image (I have several but this is closest to some of the others). Not really happy with this, as I wasn't able to get the face/neck exposed properly without blowing out details in the delicate feather train. Not super sharp either. I really need to get my 70-200 f2.8 (non IS) calibrated, it's never performed well on the Mark IIn (was always sharper on my old 1D and film eos1n). Noise isn't great either. Not really a keeper image.

_DN_3105.jpg

Dave

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/160
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 40mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV

Great Shot pdxflint!

Testing out my new 8mm fisheye lens.

fish1.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It's been a while since I've been to Sydney, wish I had time to stay a few hours longer for the night light.

imgp00881.jpg

Pentax K10D - 1/90s - f/8.0 - ISO100 - 33mm (49mm equiv)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.