Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
IMG_0331.jpg

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Taken today, just testing my 17-40L.
Shot wide open (f/4)

Attachments

• fergie.jpg
    fergie.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 143

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
pdxflint, thanks for that post about the mods. I went back and changed my earlier pic back as well. I guess I can somewhat understand if the images were hosted on Macrumors.com servers, but when flickr or some other site hosts them.... Especially when as you say, we self police, and Dale does a great job. Thanks again Dale.

Fujiko7 I love that duck. Very vibrant colors. Thanks Dale for identifying it, I want to raise some ducks, I will have to see if I can get that breed.

Here is mine for the day...

4485491441_40d263f306_o.jpg

What is he thinking? I think he wants the sandwich I was eating...

Chef Jay

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Here it goes again... a mod coming in and just changing every original post with an img tag to timg tags...

<snip>

It's not really a big deal, but it's irritating to to again run right into the same thing, just when you think it's a thing of the past.[

I think it's just plain rude. It has been discussed several times the past few years. Agreements were made, Dale even took the time to write a manual.
All people concerned (that is: the people posting in this thread) agreed that they wanted to see the full image, not a timg. When will the mods learn or take the time to read all the effort we took to keep this a nice thread. I would love to have the potd thread stay part of macrumors, but the mods don't make it feel very welcome.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I think it's just plain rude. It has been discussed several times the past few years. Agreements were made, Dale even took the time to write a manual.
All people concerned (that is: the people posting in this thread) agreed that they wanted to see the full image, not a timg. When will the mods learn or take the time to read all the effort we took to keep this a nice thread. I would love to have the potd thread stay part of macrumors, but the mods don't make it feel very welcome.

I agree it isn't that welcoming...people come here sharing their photos (posted at a very reasonable 1024px max) only to have them TIMG'ed.

People are cooperating as pdxflint mentioned - as of the start of this month everyone's quoted using TIMGs, and plenty of effort has been put in. Thanks Dale.

TIMGing originals is ruining this thread. :(

Perhaps this forum could have it's own mod, or consider Dale's thread as something (more) official, so the confusion can be avoided?
...as said the self moderation is working very well, thanks all.

Hope we can get a reply on this specific issue :)

Cheers,
TheReef. :)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks for the comments on my previous pic oblomow, Doylem, anti-microsoft and blockburner28.

Doylem, I'll title this one tripod holes: :p

imgp99592.jpg

Pentax K10D - 1/350s - f/6.7 - ISO280 - 16mm (24mm equiv)

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia

Not quite close enough, and too much background distraction. Good attempt though.

Taken today, just testing my 17-40L.
Shot wide open (f/4)

Dang that's awesome! Cool cat.

Here is mine for the day...

4485491441_40d263f306_o.jpg

What is he thinking? I think he wants the sandwich I was eating...

Chef Jay

Wow! I cracked up when I saw this. Awesomely cheeky squirrel (we don't have them here in Australia).

All C&C welcome good or bad.
4481243207_c5de055361_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice. I really like the contrast between the Yellow flowers and Blue sky. Nicely done.

Dave

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Here it goes again... a mod coming in and just changing every original post with an img tag to timg tags... every several months for some reason one mod or another, who doesn't offer an explanation, just drops in and lays down some invisible law. We've gone to great trouble to discuss this openly several times over the last two years, and it finally seemed solved with common agreement.

Now, we've even gotten some informal system of self-policing, including instructions and photo forum POTD posting guides (thanks Dale, and for all who offered feedback during the process.) Yet, this issue keeps popping up (a random mod dropping in with no warning and changing everyone's original posts.) It's not really a big deal, but it's irritating to to again run right into the same thing, just when you think it's a thing of the past. I changed my tags back to the way they originally were because they are acceptable according to our forum guidelines, and have been acceptable as a whole for 99.99% of the time, and quite frankly...those tags are actually created by this website when I click on an icon to link to an image. If the tags are illegal, then they shouldn't be there in the first place. The very fact that we take it upon ourselves to change built-in tags by adding a "t" when quoting posts with images should demonstrate a willingness to be reasonable. If I get demerits, then I'll take them on principle.

If a mod wants to change the reply img tags to timg tags... or merge consecutive posts... that's what I'd expect. Just don't keep changing the "rules" as to what's acceptable on original posts. If you can honestly explain the reasons for doing so, what the rationale is (other than just that you can because you're a mod) then I invite you to please step up to the plate, and explain. The terse little explanations in changed posts don't do anything other than spell out the obvious--you changed tags because the image was, by your judgment, too large. How exactly do you come to that judgment? This issue has always been a muddy one here, and there are no site-suggested limitations on image sizes that anyone would notice when posting a reply with an image. I've looked, and the only limitations I could actually find had to do with avatar pics. Did you participate in the weeks of discussion in the digital photography forum about this very subject as we were putting our forum/POTD thread posting guide together? Somehow I must have missed that, so now's the time to fill us in...
--respectfully waiting to hear. :confused:

-pdxflint

PS: Dale, any ideas?

Maybe you could modify this message so it all reads as though you're writing to the mods and send it to them direct? It's a good message and they could easily miss it.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Spring!

A glorious 26 C yesterday in southern Ontario. While I did some chores in the yard yesterday, my three year old mowed down the crocuses with his bulldozer. Thankfully, these tiny little guys in pots escaped his levelling.
8e0xdk

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Arching

This was a little modeling shoot I did with my GF. She's a dancer and we've been talking more and more about adding her as an additional subject in some of my landscapes. C&C?

4465604052_8b90b172d6_b.jpg

(Don't timg on me)

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
My first manual exposure, and focus.

I have no idea what kind of bird this is. I just saw it chillin on my pools gate, and shot it through the kitchen window. I wasnt sure if opening the sliding glass door would scare it away, lol.

Click through to flickr...

Exif Info:
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Teaser for my "Characters of Wonderland" set.

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure: 2.6s
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.