Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
It's been a while since I've been to Sydney, wish I had time to stay a few hours longer for the night light.

imgp00881.jpg

Interesting view. Not the standard sideways view. I like this one.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv

Very nice! Looks like an awesome place to practice some yoga. :)

f8 is a golden rule of thumb, rules can be broken. I would suggest looking at MTF charts for your lens(es) to see where they're optically best - some are sharpest at f8, some f11. Then there's center and corner sharpness. As to your latest image, look a bit underexposed, and perhaps too close/tightly cropped. Shooting cars isn't easy.

Dave

Thanks for taking the time. I was thinking the same, I was just a tad too close. There were sooo many people though, most completely oblivious to those of use with cameras. I was trying not to get too many random people in my photos, but most are lacking something. There is another car show this tomorrow that i might attend. Perhaps i wont worry so much about the people, but focus more on my shooting.

Nice Kitchen, I'd imagine its very nice to cook in.

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for taking the time. I was thinking the same, I was just a tad too close. There were sooo many people though, most completely oblivious to those of use with cameras. I was trying not to get too many random people in my photos, but most are lacking something. There is another car show this tomorrow that i might attend. Perhaps i wont worry so much about the people, but focus more on my shooting.

As long as you're enjoying the photography, it's all GOOD. :)

I'll add my next POTD as a URL, rather than an img tag, as it's 1.9mb in size. I won't say what it is, so you'll have to click on it to enjoy (well, hopefully). And not, it's not more macro, which is my primary genre.

http://www.ecn.net.au/~dpastern/images/CRW_1779panorama.jpg

If the mods think it's OK to do it as a timg, let me know and I'll change it.

Dave

edit: when I get the 16mb Mark IV, I'm gonna give this another crack. A EOS D60 just doesn't have enough resolution...

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
As long as you're enjoying the photography, it's all GOOD. :)

I'll add my next POTD as a URL, rather than an img tag, as it's 1.9mb in size. I won't say what it is, so you'll have to click on it to enjoy (well, hopefully). And not, it's not more macro, which is my primary genre.

http://www.ecn.net.au/~dpastern/images/CRW_1779panorama.jpg

If the mods think it's OK to do it as a timg, let me know and I'll change it.

Dave

Oh believe me, if i didnt enjoy it i would not be trying as hard as i am. I hope to someday supplement whatever job i may have by selling some of my photos.

:eek: that pano is beautiful! I have been scouting locations to shoot from, im trying to get one like that of the Las Vegas strip.

Mine for today, another from the Cadillac Car Show:

Clickable....

EXIF Info:
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 39 mm
ISO Speed: 100

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
edit: when I get the 16mb Mark IV, I'm gonna give this another crack. A EOS D60 just doesn't have enough resolution...

And when you do give this another crack you might consider doing it a bit earlier in the evening, when the sky is not all black.

I don't think I've posted this shot of the Bay bridge before:
BayBridgeAtDusk.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: Pentax SMC M 200mm f/4
Exposure: 1/3s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 200

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
And when you do give this another crack you might consider doing it a bit earlier in the evening, when the sky is not all black.

I don't think I've posted this shot of the Bay bridge before:
BayBridgeAtDusk.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: Pentax SMC M 200mm f/4
Exposure: 1/3s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 200

Berkeley on the foreground? Nice shot.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Duck of the Day

Took this in Richmond Park today. Dunno what sort of duck it is, but it's cute.

Update: It's a Mandarin Duck - thanks Designer Dale!

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/6.3
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Lacy

...more experimentation in black and white...and LR3 beta2.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/125
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 55mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: -1 EV

lharvest

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Spring

Shot this today while geocaching with the family.

Attachments

• Spring (1).jpg
    Spring (1).jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 138

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
3vaU

EXIF:
Post Processed: corrected exposure
Lens: EF50mm f/1.8
ISO: 1600
Focal Length: 50mm
Exposure Bias: 0 ev
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/60
Flash: Fired
Focus: On the railing

iCheese

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

hey, how do you use

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure: 3.2
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Near to where I live there's an old tunnel that was built in the mid 90's as a means of getting across the main road, it was closed about 5 or so years ago because of drainage problems, but it's still somewhat accessible.

This photo is of the first foot stone that lead up to the entrance, reading "Where water once flowed". It was fun going back down there, but it's a shame the tunnel is now filled with needles and rubbish, guess that's what happens when something becomes abandoned.

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
cupids, newfoundland

this little church has been turned into a B&B would be a nice place to stay for anyone coming to the towns 4oo year celebration of its existents.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    840.4 KB · Views: 100

dpastern

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia

Love it, awesome concept.

...more experimentation in black and white...and LR3 beta2.
4485131364_01a51d24ac_o.jpg

I like it too. Nice b/w and lighting.

Yeah, I've had a few people say that. My first time doing long exposure shots. Not living in Sydney anymore, but will try it at dusk when I get the next opportunity! Thanks for the CC, much appreciated.

:eek: that pano is beautiful!

Mine for today, another from the Cadillac Car Show:
4475542961_687571fde4.jpg

Thanks! I like this shot, although it's a bit dark.

Dave

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Here it goes again... a mod coming in and just changing every original post with an img tag to timg tags... every several months for some reason one mod or another, who doesn't offer an explanation, just drops in and lays down some invisible law. We've gone to great trouble to discuss this openly several times over the last two years, and it finally seemed solved with common agreement.

Now, we've even gotten some informal system of self-policing, including instructions and photo forum POTD posting guides (thanks Dale, and for all who offered feedback during the process.) Yet, this issue keeps popping up (a random mod dropping in with no warning and changing everyone's original posts.) It's not really a big deal, but it's irritating to to again run right into the same thing, just when you think it's a thing of the past. I changed my tags back to the way they originally were because they are acceptable according to our forum guidelines, and have been acceptable as a whole for 99.99% of the time, and quite frankly...those tags are actually created by this website when I click on an icon to link to an image. If the tags are illegal, then they shouldn't be there in the first place. The very fact that we take it upon ourselves to change built-in tags by adding a "t" when quoting posts with images should demonstrate a willingness to be reasonable. If I get demerits, then I'll take them on principle.

If a mod wants to change the reply img tags to timg tags... or merge consecutive posts... that's what I'd expect. Just don't keep changing the "rules" as to what's acceptable on original posts. If you can honestly explain the reasons for doing so, what the rationale is (other than just that you can because you're a mod) then I invite you to please step up to the plate, and explain. The terse little explanations in changed posts don't do anything other than spell out the obvious--you changed tags because the image was, by your judgment, too large. How exactly do you come to that judgment? This issue has always been a muddy one here, and there are no site-suggested limitations on image sizes that anyone would notice when posting a reply with an image. I've looked, and the only limitations I could actually find had to do with avatar pics. Did you participate in the weeks of discussion in the digital photography forum about this very subject as we were putting our forum/POTD thread posting guide together? Somehow I must have missed that, so now's the time to fill us in...
--respectfully waiting to hear. :confused:

-pdxflint

PS: Dale, any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.