Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Some Jellyfish... I was working with the wrong lens and I didn't have a tripod so its a bit blurry but still a cool effect in my opinion. Anyone think this should be cropped in any way?

Attachments

• _MG_4811.jpg
    _MG_4811.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 109

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think it's something from the HDR, unless you mean the signature.
I do not know if Phrasikleia is speaking of the signature or the effect of the HDR technique. I will say that in many of the images the skyscrapers that reach past the horizon all had a glow around them, a backlight type thing. It wasn't planned nor preventable as far as I could tell. Here's the original color version, no signature, no HDR, etc.

Hehe. I was seeing the watermarked signature as part of the photo. It looked like rain being whipped into streams by the wind or something, in which case you had captured something utterly rare and surreal (hence my great appreciation!). Looking closer, I now see it as a signature. :eek: I'll admit my admiration has been diminished, but I still think it's a nice cityscape!

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
probably bit out of my depth here but would like to join in! Just have an old 3.2mp coolpix.....

hope I have uploaded correctly!

DSCN3832.JPG

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Not sure what to say. Were you interested in the sky... the tangle of phone wires... both... neither??

I'd have to say the sky. It was so amazing that last night that I had to go out and shoot it. The tangle of phone wires was just kind of an afterthought.

Question, is you not knowing what to say a good thing or a bad thing? haha. :confused:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Wow! Thats the best picture I've seen in a long time.

The picture's fine: well seen, well exposed, well composed, etc. But what I see is a lion, lying on a concrete floor, leaning against a concrete wall, as bored as a living creature could possibly be, looking at the photographer with sad, empty eyes. What the hell are we doing, keeping animals in captivity like this? Sorry, but this is what the picture 'says' to me. :(

Jan 30, 2006
I haven't posted in a looong time in this threads. I haven't seen the whole thread, but the previous photos of the lion and the football team are great.

Nikon D40
105mm VR Micro-Nikkor

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I was thinking about getting myself a DSLR and took the plunge when the XSi went on sale here in Canada.
This is my first picture, first attempt at photography, first pretty much everything. I don't know how to fiddle with settings and I have a lot to learn so please bear with me.
I went on a walk after it rained and captured this:
(click for larger version)

CC always appreciated. Also if you have any tips or places where I could learn about taking photos as I know nothing but "Auto" :p

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
CC always appreciated. Also if you have any tips or places where I could learn about taking photos as I know nothing but "Auto" :p

Thankfully (unlike when I started with film) you're not paying $$ on a shot-by-shot basis... so shoot, shoot, shoot. You can learn a lot from 'trial and error', a friend who knows a bit about photography and a couple of books from the library. Enjoy! :)

Love the light... and the simplicity... and the 'glow' on the post to the left...

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Taking pictures of the Freshman football team for our schools yearbook. :)
OM8V0513.jpg
I like that depth of focus... players are crisp and stand out. Generally I like horizons to be level although it works for me in your image... is that a rainbow or lens flare of some kind? I like the effect anyhow.:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Taking pictures of the Freshman football team for our schools yearbook. :)
OM8V0513.jpg

I think if you pushed your exposure up at least a good 1/2 stop and straightened the horizon it'd be a great picture. I am unsure what the crooked horizon does for the photo but it is a wonderful photo with the rainbow behind and all. What lens were you using? It looks tack sharp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.