Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
This is a draft of an idea. Well, it wasn't original going to be a "draft" but we ran out of time and the poses aren't exactly the way I wanted them to be. I'll probably give this another try when we have a nicer background and more time. It's one of those times where you get together and for hours you're not sure what to do then, 20 minutes before your friends have to leave, you finally think of an idea.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I've been doing some photography with my wife's cousin while she is here visiting. Here is one I did of her daughter.

Camera: Nikon D300
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 26 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Flash: Flash fired

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Rocky beach at Fyns Hoved. Tried a b/w conversion. Any C&C on the image and the conversion?

Denemarken0282.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

These are definitely my kind of clouds... but colour, to me, is such a huge part of the landscape experience that, well, I barely see the point of shooting (or converting to) black & white any more. Heresy, perhaps... but I don't see many conversions that contain the lustrous range of tones that used to be possible with b/w film.

I guess I associate b/w with medium/large format, FP4, Agfa Record Rapid printing paper, the 'black arts' of the darkroom, and masters like Ansel Adams and Brett Weston. Not a fair comparison, I appreciate...

So... your pic is fine, but it doesn't have the luminosity or depth that b/w seems to demand (bit short on contrast, too)...

The postman has just delivered my latest buy (a rare event; I don't spend much money on equipment). A Nikkor 50mm f1.8. I can't remember ever shooting a pic at f1.8, so I'm going to set myself the f1.8 challenge and open myself up to something different. Now when's the rain going to stop... :)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006

I probably need to go back to the original file and redo the cropping. Doesn't look quite right to my eye, however, I love this old building. Really neat.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???

I probably need to go back to the original file and redo the cropping. Doesn't look quite right to my eye, however, I love this old building. Really neat.

This is a nice shot, but it's begging for a huge wide angle, to place it in a bit better context. This is why FF cameras are so great for cityscape/landscape photos; they provide the ability to get really, really wide.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
This is a nice shot, but it's begging for a huge wide angle, to place it in a bit better context. This is why FF cameras are so great for cityscape/landscape photos; they provide the ability to get really, really wide.
I agree. I would have gone wider, but it's in a parking lot filled with cars. I don't like cars in the shot. I should try to figure out when that lot is empty... ;)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
These are definitely my kind of clouds... but colour, to me, is such a huge part of the landscape experience that, well, I barely see the point of shooting (or converting to) black & white any more. Heresy, perhaps... but I don't see many conversions that contain the lustrous range of tones that used to be possible with b/w film.

I guess I associate b/w with medium/large format, FP4, Agfa Record Rapid printing paper, the 'black arts' of the darkroom, and masters like Ansel Adams and Brett Weston. Not a fair comparison, I appreciate...

So... your pic is fine, but it doesn't have the luminosity or depth that b/w seems to demand (bit short on contrast, too)...

The postman has just delivered my latest buy (a rare event; I don't spend much money on equipment). A Nikkor 50mm f1.8. I can't remember ever shooting a pic at f1.8, so I'm going to set myself the f1.8 challenge and open myself up to something different. Now when's the rain going to stop... :)

Doylem,

thanks for your comments. I generally use colour in landscape photo's, but sometimes it's nice to experiment. The image below is converted using ilford FP4 and Agfa multicontrast paper. ( according to the SW developer... )
Have fun with your new toy, and don't forget to show us the results!

Denemarken0283-1.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
This was from a while back...my first try. C+C?
2285642246_337c4f3467_b.jpg

A bit one-sided? ;)

I took my new 50mm lens out for a spin this evening, but the weather wasn't kind. From the few pix I shot, viewed at 100%, I'm convinced that the lens is very sharp... and a good deal 'punchier' than the kit lens on my D200 (18-70). I met some guys with steam-powered boats (very photogenic, they are), and I'll meet up with them tomorrow. So I hope I'll have an opportunity to get some good pix. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime... it's all happening in Ravenstonedale...

ravenstonedaleuu2.jpg

dengar169

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Very Nice!! I will keep with this theme of peacocks! Hope you enjoy! C&C always appreciated!

2740394546_d81643822d_b.jpg

thanks for that, that peacock of mine had an attitude and tried chasing after me when i would get too close. I like yours as well, what is cutting off the bottom portion? A wall? or just an interesting angle?

Podgie

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
I am not very good at this :p. My first every attempt at "photography" I used some old digital camera lying around the house that has 4.1 mega pixels. haha my phone is better than that. oh well. Let me know what you think. :)

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Doylem,

thanks for your comments. I generally use colour in landscape photo's, but sometimes it's nice to experiment. The image below is converted using ilford FP4 and Agfa multicontrast paper. ( according to the SW developer... )

Denemarken0283-1.jpg

I don't have much experience with converting to B&W, but from some reading and the few times I have tried, I find that converting sky to red before converting really helps bring out the contrast in the clouds. I guess its sort of how the different chemicals worked on film back in the day.
I'd be curious how it turns out, because I find scenery in B&W can have an amazingly dramatic effect which you can lose with colour.

As for my pic of the day... One of the many types of dragonflies I can find around my cottage in northern Ontario.

Attachments

• _MG_3796_1.jpg
    _MG_3796_1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 86

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
Podgie - I like that shot. Good angle, keep shooting. Camera quality isn't as important as composition.

Since we're on to dragon flies I'll post one of my shots as well.

Attachments

• dfly1000.jpg
    dfly1000.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 86

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
thanks for that, that peacock of mine had an attitude and tried chasing after me when i would get too close. I like yours as well, what is cutting off the bottom portion? A wall? or just an interesting angle?

Its an interesting angle haha it cut his legs off :p I thought it looked like he was floating lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.