Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thank you, iamtherealwoody, ACbc and marclapierre13! The eagle in my other photo is actually a juvenile Bald Eagle. They start out very brown all over and then at about three years old their head begins to get speckly as white comes in, and at about four years old they are fully mature -- the Bald Eagle as we know it, with the beautiful white head and the powerful brown body.

I cropped the photo somewhat in order to get rid of distracting limbs that were all around him in the tree, but he was surprisingly close to us anyway. I had been shooting handheld earlier and then set up the tripod with the long, heavy 300 f/2.8 lens and 2x TC on it under a tree and was hoping for some good shots of eagles fishing for their dinner. Suddenly this guy comes in for a landing practically right above my head, clutching his dinner! All I had to do was to swing the lens into position (LOVE that Wimberley gimbal head!) and start firing away.....He proceeded to dine on sushi while below him, camera shutters were clicking away. It was an outstanding photo op, with the light just right and the bird close enough so we could all get good shots. It was a fascinating glimpse into nature, too, watching him eating the fish. He doesn't seem to mind an audience while he's savoring his sushi!

This is what he'll look like when he is fully mature:

p489385610.jpg

Conowingo Dam, Maryland
November 30, 2007
Nikon D300
Nikkor 300 f.4 with 1.7x TC (handheld)
1/1000 sec @ f/6.7
ISO: 400

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Here is the same tree that I posted yesterday. I think i might actually like this one a little better. For the few Mass people I see here, this is on Mem drive, right next to the walking bridge that leads towards harvard sq.

Your trees are intriguing (in-tree-ging??). The combination of long exposure, blurring of the leaves and the street lighting (??) look almost like a scene from the heart of a forest fire...

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
jaartisticstrobeshot01rj2.jpg

Canon Rebel XT
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di @ 28mm
1x Alienbees B1600
Shutter 1/200
Aperture f/5.6
ISO100
PP in Photoshop

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This is what he'll look like when he is fully mature:

[/IMG]http://clixpix.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p489385610.jpg[/IMG]

Conowingo Dam, Maryland
November 30, 2007
Nikon D300
Nikkor 300 f.4 with 1.7x TC (handheld)
1/1000 sec @ f/6.7
ISO: 400

that shot is amazing.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
Goodness! D300 and 300 f/2.8?!?! I'm jealous! the hawk is so sharp it hurts. nice shot!

Here is the same tree that I posted yesterday. I think i might actually like this one a little better. For the few Mass people I see here, this is on Mem drive, right next to the walking bridge that leads towards harvard sq.

Nikon D50
17-55 f/2.8 @ 50mm
f/8
30 second exposure
ISO 200

this picture is great, it looks like the tree is on fire

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Great shots all, especially love Clix Pix & Mr. G4. The bird shots are so elusive and nothing short of incredible.

2081244812_22d95b89f7_b.jpg

A lost dog on my girlfriend's street, so friendly.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Conowingo Dam, Maryland
November 30, 2007
Nikon D300
Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 lens with 2.0 teleconverter
1/640 sec @ f/8
ISO: 500

This is a great photograph. I know plenty of wildlife photographers who would love to get that close to such a beautiful bird, as well as see it feasting on a fish.

I'm about to take a study break, get out of this library, and see if I can't get some good shots.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thank you, Zioxide and G4scott! I've been to Conowingo several times -- three or four times last year, four times so far this year, and this is really the best day that I've experienced there. The eagles were everywhere and we all were just amazed at how close they were when they perched in the trees nearest the water. Anyone who had a 200 or 300mm lens with or without a teleconverter had a tremendous opportunity for good shots. The light was good, which helped considerably as well. I was really delighted when I ran my shots through the computer the other night and saw what gems I'd managed to get. It was a rare experience and I'll be surprised if I'm ever this lucky again.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
nothing impressive, just thought it was a funny shot.

My girlfriend jumping her 26-year-old Arabian. He looks like he's just jumping straight up, haha. He's a funny animal, doesn't show his age at all.

1/1250s @ f/2.8
70mm
ISO 200

Attachments

• pegasus.jpg
    pegasus.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 211

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Clix Pix: Great job on the bird shots!

This is the Malaysian flag hanging at the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

2081602507_b312d5609b_o.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
My girlfriend jumping her 26-year-old Arabian. He looks like he's just jumping straight up, haha. He's a funny animal, doesn't show his age at all.

Great shot; it looks like the horse is on strings (but you've photoshopped them out...). Raise the bar... try jumping over a matchbox... :)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Great shot; it looks like the horse is on strings (but you've photoshopped them out...). Raise the bar... try jumping over a matchbox... :)

haha, yeah, I know. We lowered the jump for him, he's 26! That's like 100 in human years!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thank you, Zioxide and G4scott! I've been to Conowingo several times -- three or four times last year, four times so far this year, and this is really the best day that I've experienced there. The eagles

It'll probably be good for another week or two. They were pretty-much gone by NYE last year.

were everywhere and we all were just amazed at how close they were when they perched in the trees nearest the water. Anyone who had a 200 or 300mm lens with or without a teleconverter had a tremendous opportunity
for good shots. The light was good, which helped considerably as well. I was really delighted when I ran my shots through the computer the other night and saw what gems I'd managed to get. It was a rare experience and I'll be surprised if I'm ever this lucky again.

It was close to the same last year about the same time, so I think you'll have the chance to get more shots the same time next year! There's probably 2-3 more weeks of good shots left this season too... The big thing is the skies and having few enough clouds to catch the light.

Nice captures though. I came away with a fair number of images that I think will sell well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.