Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm a little surprised about the quality of that picture. You've got such nice gear I'm sort of confused how bad it looks :p (might just be the resizing)
You can have all the nice gear in the world and it won't help if the picture taker doesn't know what they're doing. However, not knowing what photo you're referring to I'm being more general than anything.

Conowingo Dam, Maryland
November 30, 2007
Nikon D2x
400mm f/2.8 AF-S II hand-held
1/2000 @ ISO 200
Heavy Crop prints well at 13x19
Downsized for the Web
Yeah now I'm jealous!

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Nice picture. Id crop it a little better though, on the left and a little off the top. The left flare is very distracting.

eh, in my opinion, this picture doesn't work cropped. I framed it very intentionally. My real intentions were to leave that left light out though, but the flare crept in. Cropping off the top will throq the bridge too dead center. I like the play of negative space against everything that is going on from the top of the bridge below. Cropping out left lowers the perception of depth (since i'm shooting at an oblique angle) since it takes out the end of the bridge past the mirroring tree on the left side. The left flare is a bit distracting, but cropping it out totally screws with the proportions of how everything was framed.

I've had a lot of people say they like the flare. I'm a bit indifferent to it. I think the shape the 3 white lights is a good balance to the dark space the tree creates on the opposite corner. If i was doing this shot for money, i'd probably find a better way to do it. but this was purely a personal thing, so i took the shot, hit the instant replay button and thought "good enough" and was on my merry way. :)

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Sunny_by_ProjektionStudios.jpg

Cocoa Beach sunrise (with a very beautiful young lady)
December 2nd.

Pentax *ist Ds
135mm f2.8

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
eh, in my opinion, this picture doesn't work cropped. I framed it very intentionally. My real intentions were to leave that left light out though, but the flare crept in. Cropping off the top will throq the bridge too dead center. I like the play of negative space against everything that is going on from the top of the bridge below. Cropping out left lowers the perception of depth (since i'm shooting at an oblique angle) since it takes out the end of the bridge past the mirroring tree on the left side. The left flare is a bit distracting, but cropping it out totally screws with the proportions of how everything was framed.

I've had a lot of people say they like the flare. I'm a bit indifferent to it. I think the shape the 3 white lights is a good balance to the dark space the tree creates on the opposite corner. If i was doing this shot for money, i'd probably find a better way to do it. but this was purely a personal thing, so i took the shot, hit the instant replay button and thought "good enough" and was on my merry way. :)

I liked your earlier shots of the tree, 'cos it they were powerful, ambiguous... with the leaves 'on fire'. But this shot doesn't work (for me, at least). There's 'good' flare and 'bad' flare; good flare adds something to a pic, bad flare just gets in the way. This is bad flare: drawing the eye to the edge of the pic.

For night shots you might find it better to shoot a bit earlier, when there's a bit more light in the sky. There'll be a few minutes when the ambient and artificial lighting are 'balanced'. The result: natural, saturated colours, and no blown highlights...

Also (and ain't I being picky... :)) you thought "good enough" because it was "only" a personal shot. Hmmmmm...

BOOSTD

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Comments and criticisms always welcome

Canon 30D
EF 85mm f/1.8
Shutter: 1/250
fNumber: 2.2
ISO: 1600

Attachments

• Man Sitting on MUNI bus in San Francisco.jpg
    Man Sitting on MUNI bus in San Francisco.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 227

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Just a general comment for this thread...

I am noticing A LOT of 'missing' photos and it's only 4 days into december. :confused: Why not attach your files so that they can be preserved here? Or at least if you're hosting them yourself, consider not moving/deleting them so people can view them in the thread later. It's kind of frustrating and pointless to see empty posts and contextless* quotes referencing it.

I learn lots from these threads so be kind to the clueless lurker(s) :p :)

* this may not be a real word

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm a little surprised about the quality of that picture. You've got such nice gear I'm sort of confused how bad it looks :p (might just be the resizing)

To which photo are you referring? It isn't particularly helpful to offer criticism without specifying what image is meant!

If it is mine, the eagle in flight, I am still getting the hang of shooting BIF; it's NOT that easy, believe me, to get the bird in absolutely sharp focus (especially at a distance) and to get a decent sky or background behind it. I am not happy with the blank whitish-grey sky behind my eagle, for example. Sometimes clouds can be most useful! :) One can have great gear but a lot of times circumstances as well as the photographer's skill and knowledge come into play..... I am still also getting a feel for which settings work best on the new D300 and after returning home the other day discovered that I had been using one setting incorrectly which then slowed down my fps which in turn affected the overall focus every time I shot a BIF. The learning and the tweaking goes on.... My forte is really macros and candids of people; this bird thing is something fairly new for me.

Yes, there is also the additional element of resizing, as anything downsized for the web is going to lose potential impact and full resolution.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The comment was directed toward my photo (post #69) of the bridge outdoors. Another user posted the bridge as a night shot, and I recognized the location (Cambridge, MA) and dug threw my old photos to find when I had taken the same angle during the day. I slapped it online and the comment was contrasting the soft photo with the gear I have now.

I think it was my first time shooting with my spanking new Rebel XT years ago, and a lot has changed since then! Even if I had the best gear on the planet, I still would have taken a crappy shot, because I had no idea what I was doing. 1/4000 is not necessary in broad daylight...

Anyway, we all learn from each other and from the experience we gain in experimenting on our own. Keep up the great work and helpful feedback!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
flood stage redux

Another shot just downstream from Willamette Falls where the river level has risen to the second level of an old mill on the banks. Normally the mill sits up on a rocky shelf, but the water level is over 40 ft above normal... and moving at a hell of a clip. Scanned from print.

below%20falls.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM
Kodak T-max 400

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Cocoa Beach sunrise (with a very beautiful young lady)
December 2nd.
Dude! Did you hang out for the ESA contest later in the morning? I was just there Saturday at the Cocoa Beach pier. Red Tide sux, don't it! I was at Paradise a little farther south Sunday when I took this, while holding my breath.:(

The beach was littered with dead bottom dwellers.
eel.jpg

L1 + ZD 70-300mm
f/5.6
1/1250 sec.
ISO 125
268mm

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
2087832938_5636ea6002_b.jpg

Landa Park New Braunfels, TX
Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 20 mm
ISO Speed: 100

recordprod

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
228777666-XL.jpg

Getting cold here now.

228777257-XL.jpg

Amazing the stuff that grows on stone.

Both shot today, Canon 5D, 24-70L.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
downtownkansascity.jpg

Skyline shot of Kansas City Missouri taken from observation deck of the Liberty Memorial museum.

HDR from one RAW
1/320
f/6.4
Canon EF 100-400L IS at 200mm
100 ISO

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
<snip image>

Skyline shot of Kansas City Missouri taken from observation deck of the Liberty Memorial museum.

HDR from one RAW
1/320
f/6.4
Canon EF 100-400L IS at 200mm
100 ISO

Around what time of the day do you usually shoot these types of shots?
I have a couple of HDRs that I have done but yours always have an erie, ethereal feel to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.