Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Valdore,
I'm curious why you didn't go the HDR route with this one. Did you simply like this one as it was, or was it for some reason just not a good candidate? I only ask because I've really liked your past HDR stuff, and it's kind of inspired me to explore doing HDR myself.
TIA,
John

Oh trust me, I would have loved to HDR that photo, as I'm kind of a HDR junkie, but with that particular photo, the night sky at the top left and right is completely black, and 100% black color does not cooperate with HDR at all. Now, if the sky had been illuminated with low-lying nighttime clouds with the city's lights reflecting off them, then HDR might work. But with those pure blacks HDR just doesn't cooperate.

:)

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Another from my Portfolio...

Candles, shot with a Fuji S5, 18-200mm, Profoto Lighting. Shot 3 images and blended them together.

~Crawn

Attachments

• Candles.jpg
    Candles.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 135

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
What do you guys think of this one?

sg1l2955214306gz6.jpg

(Half of the mountains in the back were mostly grayish, the other half black so I just made it all black)

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
There's an iPod ad in here somewhere. Like this plain-clothes Israeli officer chilling in a mall in the Golan Heights, I also own a Nano. Obviously a fair amount of editing. Good, or bad?

Canon Powershot S2 IS

Attachments

• iPod3.jpg
    iPod3.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 244

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
One taken a while back on film

stivesnight6.jpg

St Ives, Cornwall

Taken on a Lubitel Medium Format
Fuji Provia 100
f22 1 Minute 30 Seconds.

Scanned and cleaned up. Adjusted the colours a bit (only to match the slide)

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
Meow

2085272579_0c4825a898_b.jpg

my backyard
Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 100

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
awwwww!
so cute!

Hey(bob3), how do you like your A100, I was thinking of getting one of those

thanks

I've had the camera for about a year now and i quite like it.
Pros:Amazing interface(dual control dials)
image quality
actually some great lens' out there if you have the money (carl zeiss); and more to come
Cons: noise at iso 1600 is unacceptable
iso 800, still very noisy, but usable

If you shoot a lot of night photography i say go for another camera with better iso performance but otherwise i love it and say get it!

gphoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
U.S.
thanks

I've had the camera for about a year now and i quite like it.
Pros:Amazing interface(dual control dials)
image quality
actually some great lens' out there if you have the money (carl zeiss); and more to come
Cons: noise at iso 1600 is unacceptable
iso 800, still very noisy, but usable

If you shoot a lot of night photography i say go for another camera with better iso performance but otherwise i love it and say get it!

I never post to this thread, but I still second what he says. Great camera, great images!

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Another from my Portfolio...

Candles, shot with a Fuji S5, 18-200mm, Profoto Lighting. Shot 3 images and blended them together.

~Crawn

This is great. Could you give a bit more explanation of your lighting setup for something like this, and about how you blended them together? Thanks.

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
I like the two pix of the same white, Greek (?) church. There are some subtle colours in the second shot... but I wanted to see a bit more drama in the lighting.
Thanks! Here's a B+W Crop of the first pic of the same church (Greek). I thought it was significantly more 'dramatic' :D
hdrbwrx6.jpg

horrgakx

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
UK, North West
This is great. Could you give a bit more explanation of your lighting setup for something like this, and about how you blended them together? Thanks.

Its actually surprisingly easy. I've lectured on HDR before but its quite long winded to explain, have a look on Google and check out the program Photomatix. (also the latter versions of Photoshop will do HDR).

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Pt. Townsend, Washington

One of my favorite little cities on Puget Sound, a typical side street shot. Shot with film, scanned from negative.

pt%20townsend%20street%20scene.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM

Martin C. - Thanks for the kind comment on the moss shot. I was just playing around with manual focus, which I haven't really done in a few years out of laziness with AF and all, and it's surprisingly addictive, and actually quicker in a way since no AF focus and re-compose necessary. I think I'll be looking for a few old, manual Nikkors on eBay.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
A multiple exposure HDR of that would really take advantage of what HDR can do, that is produce an incredible exposure range in a single image.

If I were to shoot that scene with the intent of HDR, I'd be on a tripod, fixed aperture and shoot the base shot to expose the building accurately then adjust the shutter speed to go two or three stops on either side.

Your single image HDRs have a cool look, but if you run a full HDR process, multiple well taken exposures, run through photoshop you can get an image that looks like it wasn't "HDR'd" but has an amazing exposure latitude.

--Pete

Oh trust me, I would have loved to HDR that photo, as I'm kind of a HDR junkie, but with that particular photo, the night sky at the top left and right is completely black, and 100% black color does not cooperate with HDR at all. Now, if the sky had been illuminated with low-lying nighttime clouds with the city's lights reflecting off them, then HDR might work. But with those pure blacks HDR just doesn't cooperate.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
During a hair drive for the organization Locks of Love, which helps to provide wigs for children who, to put it shortly, have diseases that result in no hair.

Attachments

• Locks of Love.jpg
    Locks of Love.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 81

theenigmat

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
My take on HDR

This is a single RAW HDR of a new rose garden on my campus.
I did it with Photomatix Pro.
C&C welcome.

ISO 100 - 1/250 - f/8

EOS 30D

24mm

Attachments

• n75800304_30498266_1795.jpg
    n75800304_30498266_1795.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 122
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.