Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
This is really nice, but I think it would look a lot better if you cropped off the bottom half of the stones so the sky took up 2/3 of the frame and the stones took up 1/3. It would turn it into a wider shot and I think applying the rule of thirds makes it look so much nicer. Just my advice :)

I kind of disagree. I'm all good for the 3rds and try to shoot that way, but for this picture I think if you cropped the stones you'd lose that ground perspective. Also, the perspective lines going right to the center focal point are fantastically strong.

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Back in Seattle...

2097338264_5f6e38320f_o.jpg

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
You guys all inspired me ... so I thought I'd post a pic that I think is kinda cool. My husband and I were walking home along St Kilda Road in Melbourne and I saw this shot that I thought would be cool, so together (his knowledge and my eye) took this picture ... unfortunately the wind got up a little whilst doing the time exposure, but it still looked good. Taken with an old Sony DSC-F707 ... Enjoy

Tangents, I think the wind actually added a nice effect to your photos.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Well I think I've found something to occupy my time on the weekends, thanks to Valdore for his amazing HDR pics!! I am still running through the trial of Photomatix but I'm definitely going to be buying it shortly. I took this shot in October 2006 on my 10 day vacation in Japan. This is just outside Kenrokuen Gardens in Kanazawa Japan

hdr_kenrokuen.jpg

Canon 20D :: 28mm // f/5.6 // 1/200sec // iso100 // One RAW, 3 Values, HDR Merge and Tonal Mapping in Photomatix

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Hdr??

A few thoughts on HDR, because it seems to be the ‘flavour of the month' (just my opinions... feel free to disregard... :)).

I’m enjoying many of Valdore’s images. The ‘grittiness’, angularity and limited colour ‘palette’ of his urban images seems to suit the HDR treatment particularly well. I like it best when the image itself is strong, and the HDR ‘look’ isn’t too obvious or pronounced. No post-production technique can transform a dull picture into an exciting one (though this doesn’t seem to stop people trying... ;)); it’ll just be a dull picture that’s been ‘tarted up’...

To put it in other words... Let’s say you’re cooking a meal; it’s OK, but a bit bland. So you chuck in some chilli sauce, to give it some ‘Wow!’ factor. And, for a while, it works: that chilli ‘hit’ gives your tastebuds a treat. But, sooner or later, the novelty wears off. Your tastebuds can't respond to subtle flavours, 'cos everything tastes of chilli.

I’ve experimented with HDR, with mixed results. I’m trying to learn what kind of scenes and lighting conditions work... and which don’t. I’ve had the best results with twilight shots (like some of Valdore’s shots: with illuminated buildings against a sky that’s dark... but not black), sunsets, cloudy skies with shafts of light, etc. I haven’t had much success with blue skies, and landscapes that are evenly lit. I’ve used it for dimly-lit interiors, and it works a treat: pulling detail out of the shadows and adding exterior detail as seen through windows (instead of just ‘blown’ highlights).

Photography is about ‘seeing’ a picture, IMO, not fabricating it. A play of light on the landscape actually happened. OK, it may only have lasted a few seconds... but it happened (and, if you were there, you clicked the shutter at the appropriate moment). The ‘drama’ that comes from HDR didn’t happen. I’ve seen pictures so heavily manipulated that it looks like a neutron bomb’s gone off... or a simple cityscape is transformed into Gotham City. You half expect to see Batman take flight...

HDR: like chilli powder... best used sparingly...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have never tried HDR and probably never will, as I tend to prefer to present images as I saw them and as I shot them. I'm not keen on a lot of extra post-processing and image manipulation; I'm happiest with doing just the basics. That said, I have seen some wonderful examples of HDR and it has been most enlightening! I agree that a little goes a long way and that one can become jaded very quickly after viewing too many of these.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
@ Wheezy, keep having fun with your HDR'ing. It's loads of fun!

@Doylem, I disagree that HDR is the flavor of the month fad in photography. The technique has been around for several years now, and still growing in popularity. Of course, for every great HDR out there on the net or on Flickr, there is also a lousy one, but that's just the way of the universe.

Part of my enthusiasm for HDR stems not solely from the artistic and creative uses of HDR, but also the very practical uses of HDR also. It works fantastic for highlighting architectural details - as you know from the urban cityscape photos. For instance, a photo I took back in October while I was running around downtown Kansas City trying to renew my car tags;

Exhibit A - boring, crappy, thoroughly unremarkable:

IMG_0723.jpg

Exhibit B - same capture but clone stamped, leveled, cropped, and of course a proper dosage of HDR:

IMG_0723+copy.jpg

I've already managed to sell a 20X30 print of the edited HDR version. My theory on this being that the more minute art deco architectural details are brought out to shine because of the HDR treatment. I really do believe that HDR has just as much practical and real world use as it does for artistic use.

I think I pretty much agree with the rest of your post - the first ingredient for interesting photography is the compositional and artistic "eye" of the photographer himself or herself, and I believe everyone posting in this thread has that in spades, albeit in widely divergent styles, of course. :)

And indeed there are plenty of times when HDR just won't work, I've been through it firsthand.

@Clix Pix - I'm glad you are reasonable about it. I can respect people who aren't into a lot of computer processing; obviously I love lots of post processing, and get my jollies from it most frequently. HDR might not be as useful for your angle of nature/bird photography that you have posted.

The people who irritatate me (none in this thread yet) are the ones who are like "Oh Noes!!1 U photoshopped that! U Looze!!1" Within the cobweb-infested innards of these peoples' minds, it is thought that "photoshop" is a dirty word and that digital enhancement in any form is a sacrilegious blaspheme - neverminding the fact that many functions in the Photoshop software are actually based on dark room film methods.

And, everyone please be wary of those who employ the word "photoshop" as some sort of generalized verb; it is safe to assume that those people are completely uninformed and ignorant about digital photography, and thus you can not pay any attention to what they say. Not talking about anyone here at Macrumors, but on a couple other sites I've posted photos in the past.

</end diatribe> :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Fair points, Valdore. But, after all, you're rather good at HDR. :) My gripe is with bad pix made worse by a post-production technique (HDR or something else...). It can be a kind of crutch: trying one trick after another, instead of learning the fundamentals of photography. A creative cul-de-sac...

You say that "for every great HDR out there... there is a lousy one". I'd round up the numbers: maybe 9 lousy ones...

I agree that architecture (interior and exterior) is probably the most successful subject for HDR. For example, I appreciate the extra detail and tonality in the pic you just posted (and didn't find your 'unaltered' version quite as dull as you did)... but I'm less keen on some of the skies, which look like the world's about to end! In terms of these special effects, I'd just prefer it if photographers would take their foot 'off the gas': ie more subtle, less blatant. More seeing, less manipulating (otherwise it can be like Spinal Tap... going all the way to 11!)

I'll post some of my own HDR efforts, and you can tell me what you think. ;)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
You guys are talking about "lousy" hdrs as a bad thing.
But I am a newb at HDR, and was just trying it for fun, and am still learning tons about it.
Everybody has to start somewhere, by experimenting....its a learning process, and there is nothing wrong with a "lousy" hdr. Valdore, im sure when you first started yours probably wasnt completely satisfactory.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Well I think I've found something to occupy my time on the weekends, thanks to Valdore for his amazing HDR pics!! I am still running through the trial of Photomatix but I'm definitely going to be buying it shortly. I took this shot in October 2006 on my 10 day vacation in Japan. This is just outside Kenrokuen Gardens in Kanazawa Japan

[/IMG]http://www.unculturedswine.net/pixelpost/images/hdr_kenrokuen.jpg[/IMG]

Canon 20D :: 28mm // f/5.6 // 1/200sec // iso100 // One RAW, 3 Values, HDR Merge and Tonal Mapping in Photomatix

nice shot. I love the colors in the sky.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
But I am a newb at HDR, and was just trying it for fun, and am still learning tons about it.
Everybody has to start somewhere, by experimenting....its a learning process, and there is nothing wrong with a "lousy" hdr. Valdore, im sure when you first started yours probably wasnt completely satisfactory.

Uh, in no way was I referencing a previous photo of yours to denigrate. Don't imagine things. :) What I was thinking of when I wrote that was some of the stuff that shows up on Flickr, where it's obvious the person set the light smoothing to -1 for no good reason, or of displaying "the halo effect" in excess around foreground objects. I was not putting down your work. :cool: And anyway, every day that I shoot photos I make a few crappy HDRs that get tossed into the bit bucket.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006

Hey, we're all into photography for fun! And, yes, HDR is a steep learning curve. And I'm not criticising anyone's individual images. I'm just saying that HDR isn't a 'cure' for a dull pic, that's all. :)

Part of that learning curve is quality control... leaving the 'lousy' pix on the cutting room floor...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I kind of disagree. I'm all good for the 3rds and try to shoot that way, but for this picture I think if you cropped the stones you'd lose that ground perspective. Also, the perspective lines going right to the center focal point are fantastically strong.

I certainly agree with you. The sky also lacks the appropriate amount of interest. It's not the cloud formations were so strong that it would add to the photo. And the rule of thirds was meant to be broken I think!

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Uh, in no way was I referencing a previous photo of yours to denigrate. Don't imagine things. :)

lol, no, i wasnt talking about me, and I knew you werent directing that at me(i took no offence). Although like I said I am still learning, like many others out there, so I am comfortable with my mediocre HDRs;).

I was just talking about the generalization about "lousy" HDR images.

Doylem: Thats exactly what I was trying to say, you summed it up perfectly: HDR has a steep learning curve. Takes a lot of practice and experimenting to get it down.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Part of that learning curve is quality control... leaving the 'lousy' pix on the cutting room floor...

True. I usually like to leave my lower quality photos in my iphoto library lol. Unless its for learning purposes.
The better ones go on my flickr, when I have time.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I'd just prefer it if photographers would take their foot 'off the gas': ie more subtle, less blatant. More seeing, less manipulating (otherwise it can be like Spinal Tap... going all the way to 11!)

Well I know everyone has different tastes in what they appreciate in photography, but there are some of us who love valdore's "cranked up to 11" HDRs. I can't get enough of them! I've created a valdore folder on my computer :p

edit: and I'd LOVE to buy prints if I could.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
valdore should send everyone a print as a christmas present ;)

Crawn: I love the silhouettes of the rocks in the water, looks great!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Well I know everyone has different tastes in what they appreciate in photography, but there are some of us who love valdore's "cranked up to 11" HDRs. I can't get enough of them! I've created a valdore folder on my computer :p

That's fine. I've spent half a lifetime backing unpopular causes. :)

And.... I said I like Valdore's pix...

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
"Now, back to photo of the day..."

Actually, it started a couple of posts ahead of you:p

Clix: Awesome shot, I love how the water reflection has a similar colour as the bird.(as in, its not blue water.) Is that the reflection of your condo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.