Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Spent some time in the city last night:

2097973577_b9904ba632.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I was out on the lake in my dinghy a few days ago, when I saw about twenty geese flying in formation... except they were flying along the surface of the water like stealth bombers... and heading straight for my boat. In any kind of collision between a canada goose and me, I know who'd come off second best (imagine a roast turkey being fired out of a cannon). At the last minute the formation split into two, and I got off a couple of shots as these geese past. They were very close - to the water and to me - and this is a wide-angle shot. Phew...

Not a patch on ClixPix's shot, but the same bird, I think. In UK we call them canada (not 'Canadian') geese; maybe a different name in US.

geeseflyingfd0.jpg

clixpixph4.jpg

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
This is really nice, but I think it would look a lot better if you cropped off the bottom half of the stones so the sky took up 2/3 of the frame and the stones took up 1/3. It would turn it into a wider shot and I think applying the rule of thirds makes it look so much nicer. Just my advice :)

Thank you for the advise...i agree, but i don't have photoshop right now.(but i will after Xmas):)

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
I kind of disagree. I'm all good for the 3rds and try to shoot that way, but for this picture I think if you cropped the stones you'd lose that ground perspective. Also, the perspective lines going right to the center focal point are fantastically strong.
Thank you too, lol:):D:p
It was really a random, quick shot.
Since no cars were coming down the highway i placed my little P&S down in the middle of the road and snapped this pic.

I certainly agree with you. The sky also lacks the appropriate amount of interest. It's not the cloud formations were so strong that it would add to the photo. And the rule of thirds was meant to be broken I think!
I think i may have broken some rules with this photo too...
2086061604_c314b69d4e_b.jpg

Backyard
Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/9
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 400

bob3

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2006
usa
Neat DOF, and colour, in that photo. It appears to have a little noise though

Thank's marclapierre13
regarding the noise, that's about as good as it gets on this camera at iso 400:eek:
But i'm actualy quite fond of the noise:rolleyes::)

Note:this photo was taken with firmware 1.00, i have since upgraded to 1.04 and it seems the noise is (IMHO) slightly lower at higher iso's.:confused:,but still nothing magical:(

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
edit: and I'd LOVE to buy prints if I could.

If there's something you'd like a print of, just PM me. I do sell stuff every so often in an effort to supplement my meager income. :)

another HDR attempt

I like it. Looks like multiple exposures from the camera instead of from one RAW, correct?

unioncemetery1.jpg

HDR from one RAW // Shutter: 1/80 // Aperture: f/6.4 // Focal Length: 17mm // ISO 100

...I know I know, another bloody HDR- but this time for the practical purpose that it highlighted the foreground, which seemed dark and flat without it.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
jaartisticstrobeshot01rj2.jpg

Canon Rebel XT
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di @ 28mm
1x Alienbees B1600
Shutter 1/200
Aperture f/5.6
ISO100
PP in Photoshop

2093893357_a7d4a8a975.jpg

Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Date / Time: 2007:12:07 20:19:12

Any chance of a full size of both these shots? I want to wallpaper the first, and the desire for the second is purely aesthetic. Pretty please? :eek:

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
If there's something you'd like a print of, just PM me. I do sell stuff every so often in an effort to supplement my meager income. :)

I like it. Looks like multiple exposures from the camera instead of from one RAW, correct?

unioncemetery1.jpg

HDR from one RAW // Shutter: 1/80 // Aperture: f/6.4 // Focal Length: 17mm // ISO 100

...I know I know, another bloody HDR- but this time for the practical purpose that it highlighted the foreground, which seemed dark and flat without it.

Does Kansas City ever have blue skies? :) What time of day do you find best to take your shots that ultimately end up HDR? Do you find it easier to create from one RAW, or do bracket exposure on 3+ shots?

fart

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The Nation's Fartland
I like it. Looks like multiple exposures from the camera instead of from one RAW, correct?.

yep, 4 varying exposures. Starting to get the hang of this thing :p

On a side-note, I don't think HDR is a "fad" in the sense that it will be gone in a few months time, but it's just another technique a photographer can use, like B&W. Sure, it's popular now because it's new, but as photographers refine their techniques, it can only get better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.