Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horrgakx

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
UK, North West
Some more, taken Friday 7th December 2007.

2093543093_b8d26915ca.jpg

2093546053_41e11280f5.jpg

2094318564_676f2be422.jpg

All are taken with a Canon 1d mkIII, Canon 16-35 L USM II.
Each is comprised of up to 7 shots, taken handheld on high-speed drive, and bracketed +/- 3.0 stops.
The final HDR images were created with Photomatix and edited using Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.

Hosted by Flickr.com of course.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I've been a visitor for too long. Love Apple stuff; adore Macrumors, but Photo of the day has been my favourite haunt. The photo's are great and the community spirit, on the whole, is wonderful. I've been reticent about posting my stuff as I worry about their reception, simply because mostly I am taking these night shots where I create these abstract pieces that I hope to use further in other ways(illustration, basis for further painting/digital development etc)but obviously they are not photos of a recognizable 'something' that has required photographic skill and compositional awareness and the other skills so aptly demonstrated by, well, all of you. I don't want to be seen as some sort of photographic fraud! I think they are lovely and have artistic merit and I am using a camera(3yr old Nikon p+s)as a tool, but .... I have to admit that a hell of a lot of randomness is involved and... I worry. But that's that and I do take photo's of other stuff, it's just that these are really doing it for me at the mo! Sorry for the verbosity; next time a quote, and then few words!
I do agree with Doylem that reality is better than anything we can invent but I'm taking these photo's to both(hopefully)have a photo that I love and also to create something unique with which to work in different directions.
Here's my first and it's cool if anybody thinks it's pointless or whatever. Honestly!!
By the way, the only post-processing(mostly)is simply a click on Enhance in iPhoto and the odd single click on edge blur and that's it; photoshop soon. Basic technique - me in my girlfriends car, moving, at night(sunset best(blues!!) but rarely get chance), moving camera(which is set on fireworks mode as it's the only way I know to keep shutter open longer on this camera(4 secs). Also, fireworks mode probably 'blows' the colours somewhat which helps for these images.
Finally, love the avian shots Clix Pix.
((*Title of wonderful short story by Mark Helprin))

Your photo is awesome! Don't be afraid to post something just because it isn't technically a 'proper' photograph. I take them all the time! Doylem- your mistake is just as spectacular. :)

Speaking of my photos, I suppose it's time I posted one…

30 sec
f / 3.5
ISO 400

Nikon D40

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Your photo is awesome! Don't be afraid to post something just because it isn't technically a 'proper' photograph. I take them all the time! Doylem- your mistake is just as spectacular. :)

Speaking of my photos, I suppose it's time I posted one…

30 sec
f / 3.5
ISO 400

Nikon D40

Howd you get it to do that? its really n eat, how the stars stay still but looks like the clouds moved.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Clouds move about the sky a whole lot faster than the stars! It looks like a tripod mounted shot of a few clouds rolling by at night.

Well to be technical, the stars don't move perceptibly, it's the rotation of the earth that makes them seem to move. But you probably knew that.

SLC

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Clouds move about the sky a whole lot faster than the stars! It looks like a tripod mounted shot of a few clouds rolling by at night.

Well to be technical, the stars don't move perceptibly, it's the rotation of the earth that makes them seem to move. But you probably knew that.

SLC

why the clouds are orange is what i wonder

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Shame this didn't come out as well as it looked, the grass looked like water, oh well.

Without some 'help' (strong grad filter, HDR, etc...), digital cameras just can't cope with these extremes of illumination... which is why the sun has 'burnt out'. I don't do as many 'into the sun' shots as I used to do with film; I stick to shots where the sun is hidden or partly hidden by clouds, or haze or mist... just to reduce the contrast and flare.

RoadieJodie

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
2082129905_eb00f87c78.jpg

Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO Speed: 800
Date: 11/23/07

I have a cropped version that I prefer over this one, but seeing as I'm slacking off at work . . . and not at home I don't have access to it at the moment. :p

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I had no idea my first photo could spur so much debate on clouds and stars! At least that shows I achieved something. :)

I can assure it's only one photo. Extremely happy how it came out. I think it's just ambient light from surrounding houses and street lights that caused the orange hue.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Without some 'help' (strong grad filter, HDR, etc...), digital cameras just can't cope with these extremes of illumination... which is why the sun has 'burnt out'. I don't do as many 'into the sun' shots as I used to do with film; I stick to shots where the sun is hidden or partly hidden by clouds, or haze or mist... just to reduce the contrast and flare.

I know it's a real shame it was such a nice view, photography is a huge hobbie for me now, but I can't see myself setting down a large amount of money for a camera when it's just a hobbie, if I'd had chosen a career path it in, then maybe, but this FujiFilm S5000 will have to do for now :eek:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I know it's a real shame it was such a nice view, photography is a huge hobbie for me now, but I can't see myself setting down a large amount of money for a camera when it's just a hobbie, if I'd had chosen a career path it in, then maybe, but this FujiFilm S5000 will have to do for now :eek:

It's not necessarily a matter of spending more money. The human eye can 'process' a wide range of lighting conditions; cameras have limitations. The eye is amazing; photographic technology has a way to catch up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.