Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
1/800
f/2.8
50 mm
200 iso

Seems like there is a bit of noise. I expected better from a 50D

shoot always shoot at ISO 100 unless you have to go higher. With this, you could have shot at ISO 100 and 1/400th and still got it, with less noise. Although I will agree, even at ISO 200 that seems like too much. How close is this crop?

edit: here's mine, another view of the dam. not a great composition, but I like the elements within it. Same settings as the other one. And I need to clean my sensor.
HDR9sm.jpg

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Seems like there is a bit of noise. I expected better from a 50D

Wow, that is pretty noisy. Does that noise show up in the RAW file or is it just an artifact of the web-compatible JPEG compression?

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I had the same reaction. I'm guessing that photo was taken in the Netherlands, since that's where oblomow is. That sort of makeup would cause a good deal of outrage in the US.

It's part of the tradition of Sinterklaas (dutch santa). Every year there are some (political correct) voices that want to change this custom ( no colours, different colours). However they underestimate the children. Children don't associate these overly dressed persons with too much makeup with coloured people in society. They see it as a character of the story of Sinterklaas. But I can see how this photo must look to people in other parts of the world that are not familiar with the story of Sinterklaas.

Jim61

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
In reply to the last two posts. It was taken as a jpg and has been cropped quite a bit (I can't remember exactly how much). The noise shows up in the full size photo.My old 350D was OK at 400 and even 800 iso. I'll have to check all my settings as I would expect the 50D to be equal or better than the 350D even taking into account the higher pixel count.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
shoot always shoot at ISO 100 unless you have to go higher. With this, you could have shot at ISO 100 and 1/400th and still got it, with less noise. Although I will agree, even at ISO 200 that seems like too much. How close is this crop?

edit: here's mine, another view of the dam. not a great composition, but I like the elements within it. Same settings as the other one. And I need to clean my sensor.
snip
Beautiful

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Fall Colors

This is my first photo posted to a Photo of The Month tread.

It was taken at the new city park near my home. I hope the city doesn't destroy the nature aspects around the lake as they "develop" the park.

Attachments

• FallColorsOnLake.jpg
    FallColorsOnLake.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 137

HF2008

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
First time poster here. Been lurking this forum for a couple of month.
Realy love the photos you take.

C&C is appreciated for improvement.

dsc00632yc1.jpg

Model: NIKON D40
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 50mm

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
from back in october and under a bridge at the same time...

Really, really nice. Especially like all the people, it looks like a party. Did you shoot any from lower down? Seems like this might be even more dynamic if it was shot from like 1-2 feet off the ground.

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Wild Fox

Caught this fellow early one morning in a local park while I was looking for birds to photograph. Taken with a 40D and 70-200 f/2.8L. He's not as sharp as he could be, but the camera has some focusing issues that are being addressed. C&C always welcome.

p975667035-4.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Most definitely! Small boat, Windermere, and it doesn't look like the Amazon...

True... Arthur Ransome lived most of his life less than three miles from my lakeside shack. I grew up on 'Swallows and Amazons' ("if duffers, won't drown, etc).

Ransome had an extraordinary life: he was a spy in Russia, and married Trotskey's secretary... :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Caught this fellow early one morning in a local park while I was looking for birds to photograph. Taken with a 40D and 70-200 f/2.8L. He's not as sharp as he could be, but the camera has some focusing issues that are being addressed. C&C always welcome.

Huntley Meadows?

True... Arthur Ransome lived most of his life less than three miles from my lakeside shack. I grew up on 'Swallows and Amazons' ("if duffers, won't drown, etc).

Ransome had an extraordinary life: he was a spy in Russia, and married Trotskey's secretary... :)

I absolutely loved the series growing up, in fact that's what I still associate the Lake District with.

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands

Mr. Trotsky, a key and a secretary :D

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Really, really nice. Especially like all the people, it looks like a party. Did you shoot any from lower down? Seems like this might be even more dynamic if it was shot from like 1-2 feet off the ground.

thanks seenew! i looked back in my lightroom folder for those pics, but it seems like I didn't think to crouch down off the ground for that particular one. Weird how sometimes one will think of these things at one time and not at another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.