Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Mr and Mrs Doylem?

I'm not married to a sheep... :eek::eek::eek:

It's more of a civil partnership... ;)

snowyskiddawjr4.jpg

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Thanks SayCheese! I guess it's "my" studio...though I don't own the house it's in hahaha (I'm 15). Here's a couple pictures of it in action (click to view large)

Thanks for the info. It's not many 15 year olds who have a studio in their house. I am jealous, I just don't have room for one (i'm in a 2 bed flat).

One day I will have a studio, I used to love working in the studio.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
3092748163_d9d7bf3eb6.jpg

I don't have much experience in portraits, and much prefer landscapes, but my sister asked me to take a picture of her family for thier christmas card this year. I obliged. I found getting my nephew to smile was near impossible, and this was as close as we could get. C&C appreciated.

Camera: Pentax K200D
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/180)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash fired

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
<snip>

I don't have much experience in portraits, and much prefer landscapes, but my sister asked me to take a picture of her family for thier christmas card this year. I obliged. I found getting my nephew to smile was near impossible, and this was as close as we could get. C&C appreciated.

That almost makes me homesick:( I miss the Peaks

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
3092748163_d9d7bf3eb6.jpg

I think the lighting works well enough, and the peaks dusted with snow make a nice background, especially set against a pretty blue sky like that. However, this image probably would have worked better as a vertical. The female is cropped too much by the bottom of the frame. Also, the "line" where the golden grass meets the green trees is running right across the middle of the frame, which isn't the best compositional situation. Try to place lines like that at the "thirds". Likewise, it's best not to place your subjects smack-dab in the middle of the frame; doing so just chops up the image too much, leaving negative space on either side of them. It's better to place your subjects on one side of the frame and thereby allow the setting to be more cohesive and dramatic.

Comments and critique please. I'm just starting out and really want develop my skills.

This was taken a couple of weeks ago.
attachment.php

This one also has compositional problems. You have a lot of sky, a lot of dark hill at the left, and what one presumes is the subject (the dead tree) is pretty much right in the middle of everything. I wonder what it would have looked like if you had gone with a horizontal framing, placing the tree towards the left, and allowing more of the better-lit side of the lake into the shot. I also would have crouched down a bit to hide the structure visible just below the tree (a drain pipe?).

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
This one also has compositional problems. You have a lot of sky, a lot of dark hill at the left, and what one presumes is the subject (the dead tree) is pretty much right in the middle of everything. I wonder what it would have looked like if you had gone with a horizontal framing, placing the tree towards the left, and allowing more of the better-lit side of the lake into the shot. I also would have crouched down a bit to hide the structure visible just below the tree (a drain pipe?).

Thanks for critique. Compositions is one of my weak spots.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
I think the lighting works well enough, and the peaks dusted with snow make a nice background, especially set against a pretty blue sky like that. However, this image probably would have worked better as a vertical. The female is cropped too much by the bottom of the frame. Also, the "line" where the golden grass meets the green trees is running right across the middle of the frame, which isn't the best compositional situation. Try to place lines like that at the "thirds". Likewise, it's best not to place your subjects smack-dab in the middle of the frame; doing so just chops up the image too much, leaving negative space on either side of them. It's better to place your subjects on one side of the frame and thereby allow the setting to be more cohesive and dramatic.

Thanks for your C&C. I did take other photos that positioned the family more off-centered, but the baby was frowning, and lighting more stark (the flash couldn't fill the shadows) I did, however, crop the photo differently, hopefully it helps...
3094847988_e8ca44dd81.jpg

Thanks for your help

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Comments and critique please. I'm just starting out and really want develop my skills.

This was taken a couple of weeks ago.
View attachment 147707

Thanks for critique. Compositions is one of my weak spots.

When you look through the viewfinder, you've got to think "Is this exactly how I want my picture to look?"... because, once you've pressed the shutter, that's what you're going to get...

In general I'd suggest taking more time... to find the best viewpoint, and to fine-tune the composition by moving a few paces left or right... to make all the elements in a picture tell a 'story'. Most pix work best with a single subject: the element that caught your eye in the first place.

The camera captures everything, so look into all four corners of the pic, to check the composition is as you want it. What you leave out of a picture is just as important, IMO, as what you put in. :)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Really, Really like this shot. Great work! :D

Amazing shot Steamie!! You guys are great!! I'm just getting into photography (bought a D60, should be in tomorrow). The places you guys are taking your pictures looks like paradise! Enjoy that, don't take it for granted :cool:

Thanks very much guy's , glad you like it. Look forward to seeing some of your shot's from the D60 wgr73

Another one from the shore .

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Here is mine for today, not an interesting subject or anything because I have been indoors studying for the last few days. I did go out today and bought a "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8 as a present for myself. I was testing it out by taking pics of my MacBook.

img5740tw6.jpg

In about 1 week I will have more interesting photos to post because I will be in Dubai & Maldives!

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
I wonder what it would have looked like if you had gone with a horizontal framing, placing the tree towards the left, and allowing more of the better-lit side of the lake into the shot.

I would agree. General rule for me (which I have been reminded of on more than one occasion) is that if I am shooting landscapes to shoot in landscape.

It is quite rare, not to mention pretty difficult, to shoot good looking landscapes in portrait format unless there is a very specific thing that you want the viewer's eyes to focus on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.