Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
pc170001.jpg

I'm kicking myself for even writing this post. I really, really don't want to sound mean. And I can't say that my own contributions to these monthly threads are anything stellar or fantastic.

But maybe consider another subject for you posts? I keep seeing variations on this same shot in thread after thread. I understand that you are proud of your backyard. Nothing wrong with that at all. If you would like criticisms on how to better compose or light this subject, there are many here who can offer very helpful ideas. You have posted the same basic shot numerous times. Sometimes with different cameras. Sometimes at night, sometimes during the day. The composition hasn't varied much. The lighting has varied somewhat, but none of the variations are dramatic enough to change the overall impact in my opinion. I'm not sure what you are going for here. Are you seeing improvements with each subsequent shooting session? Are you looking for ideas on how to improve the shot?

Please don't take this personally. I'm not an expert photographer by any stretch of the imagination. But it might be helpful to change things up a bit and expand your horizons. Maybe?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Love your title seaux much...! Got a chuckle out of it. I like the pic, too. :)

Fantastic shots, I love the curved lines!

Here's tonight's pic. The sky was incredibly clear, and even in the middle of a well lit parking lot I managed to get this:

"Orion's right there!"

EXIF:
Canon XTi
6 sec, f4, ISO 1600
Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm

You can see my finger pointing between Saiph and Rigel. I managed to grab 5 constellations and the Pleiades cluster, albeit in another pic (that doesn't have my finger blocking the view :p) You can still see the Pleiades in the upper left side of the pic, Canis Major in the lower right, and almost all of Gemini in the lower left.

While not technically a perfect shot, I found myself looking at it awhile. It just happens to be the part of the night sky that my eyes gravitate to on those clear winter nights up here in Oregon. Right at Orion and the "twins."

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Wow, what a picture.... so clear at iso 1600 too! what lens did you use for this? :) loving the line of sun reflection off the boats! that would make a very nice wallpaper, sir ;)

Very nice.

Thanks to both of you. The picture with the line of boats was taken with this lens. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite lenses, and you can find them for around $500 in excellent condition if you look around. Here's a gallery of shots by British photographer Alfie Goodrich, which he made using this lens for street shots, which normally most folks wouldn't consider anything like this for... enjoy.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Not of the olympic sort.

4193593794_618e96f2ca_o.jpg

Sony DSC F-17
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Time: 1 / 30
Flash: Flash did not fire
FNumber: 2
Focal Length: 9.7
ISO Speed Ratings: 320
Hand Held. No time to fiddle

Great shot, that is a portrait of someone who has some stories to tell. :)

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Charming... I love it.

Just about a perfect shot... reminds me of the old Norman Rockwell paintings. You did a great job of getting all the little men to focus their attention at the same time on the camera... it's a beaut!

Great shot...

Bet your happy with this. Great work.

Thanks for the comments. It wasn't easy. They'd just played a match, had no interest in having a photo taken and after three minutes they were gone.

And one of the boys had turned up in red socks, so a bit of rough and ready photoshopping was required.

Here's my niece...

CRK_8167_web.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks for the comments, Kallisti. But you'll keep the mods happy, when quoting pix, to convert the 'img' tags to 'timg'... which creates thumbnails...

Having fun doing some twilight shots around small Cumbrian towns. The 'window of opportunity' isn't long, waiting for the ambient light to fade, and 'balance out' the artificial lighting. These shots were taken 10 minutes apart...

klearlier.jpg

19608048.jpg

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
Took the d80 to the beach today.... it was freezing!!! Anyway, I think this one is a keeper :D

Edit: Attachment is highres!!

Attachments

• DSC_4810duplicate.jpg
    DSC_4810duplicate.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 126

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Thanks for the comments, Kallisti. But you'll keep the mods happy, when quoting pix, to convert the 'img' tags to 'timg'... which creates thumbnails...

Hehe, svndmvn just taught me how to do that by adding a T in front of the tag. Point taken and it won't happen again :)

Might be nice to have a sticky at the top of this forum with helpful hints on forum posting etiquette. The mechanics of including images in posts (the various methods of doing it, size guidelines, etc.), a guide on multi-quoting, and changing the image tags in replies to [ TIMG] and [ /TIMG] (minus the placeholder space of course). There may be other posting tips of which I'm not aware that would keep a frown off of the faces of the mods. Just a thought.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
If you click on the photo, it's on Flikr with its EXIF data intact:

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 8
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 21 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

Looks like there's a tripod in the reflection of the red ornament. Personally, I'd have used some fill flash to bring the exposure up so the lights weren't so burned in- YMMV.

Paul

thanks compuwar. i feel like a dolt for not thinking of that, but now I know.

I'm going to try something like this with our hanging lights.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Had to run out this morning before I finished my first cup of coffee...

D80 50mm 1.4D
ISO 100 1/100 sec, F10

Attachments

• 2009-12-18-Sunrise-Tongass Narrows-3.jpg
    2009-12-18-Sunrise-Tongass Narrows-3.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.