Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
One more from Tollhouse. Looking west toward Central Valley, CA. Not really happy with the shot...next time :)

4153141436_f8ce8a8f06_b.jpg

mhami

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
UK
Amsterdam

A cloudy day in Amsterdam...

Attachments

• Amsterdam.jpg
    Amsterdam.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 201

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003

I love it! Can I ask what settings / equipment you used for this?

Nice to see other Paris shots here too :). Here's another from the Artist's Corner (don't know the real name) where there's lots of people selling their paintings. A couple people were playing a little chess game and I grabbed a shot. Also still playing around with / learning Photoshop, so tried out the color/B&W trick

C&C always appreciated :)

4150256466_315909ca0d_b.jpg

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
sad.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 135 mm :: f 2 :: 1/60 sec :: iso 6400 :: Handheld :: Sepia conversion in Aperture

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
large

Lucy Love @ Lille Vega, Copenhagen

Check the rest of the shot from the concert here: http://nicolasdalby.blogspot.com/2009/12/lucy-love-lille-vega.html

Shot this picture at a concert with Danish Grime artist Lucy Love. The place was packed and the concert a killer. **** it with my new Tokina 12-24mm so I was constantly 'surprised' of the framing it provides compared to my old 18-55mm which I used before the new lens.

But I am loving the lens. Very sharp and impressive build quality. And It helps that I got it from new for 330 British pounds :D

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Growth outside of my box!

These shots really help me grow outside of my box, thx so much for posting and sharing your artistic abilities.
I find myself looking differently at the world and aspiring to capture it in similar fashion.

I guess I should throw in one more before the month closes out. This is an old one (from my honeymoon), but I just revisited it today and made some tweaks. So it's kinda new. Kinda.

4140328431_b865251689_o.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
attachment.php

I'm just learning on our new Canon T1i, so constructive criticism is welcome!

I'm not the best at offering criticism (it's a character flaw). I'll say a few things though. Take them with a HUGE grain of salt. Often in life you get what you pay for, and internet comments are obviously free. Thanks for taking the plunge and posting though. I love viewing the images posted by members of this forum. While not all of them do something for me personally, that's okay. I appreciate the fact that people feel comfortable posting *whatever*. It makes for a nice environment.

I'm not sure what level of criticism you desire, as I'm not sure what exactly your goals were with the image. This doesn't reflect poorly on you, it's just I can't read your mind.

For me personally, there isn't enough contrast between the colors present in the main elements and the color of the background. The cork tends to blend in with the table. The white balance seems a bit too red, so maybe just tweaking it a bit towards the blue side would be be enough to create some contrast between the color of the cork and the color of the table. Alternatively, putting the wine bottle and cork on something else (Black marble maybe? A blue table? A red table? A white table? Anything not tan/brown?) might help to make the bottle and cork really stand out. I do like the details of this table though, the little spots are kind of nice.

The base of the wine glass in the top is a bit distracting for me. I would have either composed to exclude it altogether or perhaps introduced the wine glass into the composition to play a more central role. Possibly the entire wine glass (with wine in it, though that would mean you would have to step back a bit and include more of the bottle as well which might detract from the impact) or just the base and stem placed above the cork with the body of the glass excluded (maintaining your current composition with the addition of the lower part of the wine glass to strengthen the message--wine, drinking, yummy). Glassware can be tricky though--if it isn't pristinely clean the spots/smudges tend to really stand out in photographs.

The final comment I would make is that for still-lifes such as this, sometimes playing with the lighting can have fairly dramatic results. This is somewhat trial-and-error (at least until you get comfortable with it). But having a focused light source behind, in front, or to the side (doesn't have to be a purchased photography light, even a simple house lamp will do) will cast shadows that can sometimes add impact to an image like this. It doesn't always work out, but sometimes the interplay of shadow and light can add to an image.

I'm just some random guy on the internet. Don't take any of this as gospel. If YOU are happy with the image, that is all that really matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.