Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
@ACBC- What is that rainbow thing in the picture? it looks like a dyed flower or something?
great shot btw

Doylem got it. It's the bird of paradise flower. Proper name is Strelitzia. Here's the wikipedia link.

The one in this particular picture is a new bloom, giving it a cool 3 pronged shape. Once these things go in full bloom, they look awesome. Of course, it being december, the full bloomed ones looked kinda dead so i choose to take some pictures of this young one. :)

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
2156301050_3757d298be_b.jpg

New York City
HDR | D40 | 1/10 at ƒ/4.0 | 18 mm | ISO 200

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Another in the series of fashion that I had to photograph.

It's a little light on the computer screen because this is one that went to print and had to be lighted for detail in the shadows.

Attachments

• 5. Mike Fashion v2.jpg
    5. Mike Fashion v2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 196

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I'd like to thank xUKHCx for editing my post as usual. Even though the image still has to load on MR's servers, I appreciate your attempt to do something beneficial to this photography thread by forcing users to link to other websites. Thank you also for responding to the requests for some sort of policy towards the random post editing. Maybe if you communicated :)eek:) with us we would know what size to keep our photos before posting, even though the the photos being edited with TIMG tags are not gargantuan for goodness sakes. Happy New Year.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Even though the image still has to load on MR's servers

The image never loads on MR's servers. Your browser gets it directly from the website it's hosted on (in this case, flickr). TIMG also doesn't load anything to the MR servers, nor does it make a 56k user load a smaller image. Your web browser loads the same image and just resizes it to the specs the HTML says (in this case, TIMG makes all images max 300px wide).

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
The image never loads on MR's servers. Your browser gets it directly from the website it's hosted on (in this case, flickr). TIMG also doesn't load anything to the MR servers, nor does it make a 56k user load a smaller image. Your web browser loads the same image and just resizes it to the specs the HTML says (in this case, TIMG makes all images max 300px wide).
I see, thanks for the correction. So what's the point in doing this in a photography thread?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I see, thanks for the correction. So what's the point in doing this in a photography thread?

I'm with you on this one, bro! We went for over a year on a single thread without this babysitting, and it does get somewhat irritating to have to hold your breath to see if your post will be "edited." Now if the mod was actually a participant in this thread we might find some common ground. I did get a PM from xUKHCx, but that doesn't give readers of this thread any feedback, and it's not my place to make his explanation public since he PM'd me. But, I can say it seems more about formatting issues, but if it's not bothering those of us who frequent this thread, then I say let it go...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
the last nice weekend

Extreme backlit shot before sunset.

DSC_5327.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 200mm

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Now if the mod was actually a participant in this thread we might find some common ground. I did get a PM from xUKHCx, but that doesn't give readers of this thread any feedback, and it's not my place to make his explanation public since he PM'd me. But, I can say it seems more about formatting issues, but if it's not bothering those of us who frequent this thread, then I say let it go...
That's just what I'm waiting for. At least some sort of explanation as to why this thread is being 'degraded' from the way that it has always been way back when iGary started the original thread in May of '06. Now a new moderator is TIMG tagging nearly every image out of the blue with no explanation on what the policy is?

Wow beautiful! That'd make for a great wallpaper..hint hint nudge nudge. :p
Thanks Jessica, I appreciate it! You can download it here on my flickr account.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Single RAW HDR (though can't say it did wonders for the image)
Aperture: f/8
Shutter: 1/200
Focal Length: 42mm

Attachments

• DSC_0272-HDR_web.jpg
    DSC_0272-HDR_web.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 197

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Yeah... In a PHOTO thread, we're all here dealing with fast connections... I don't see any advantages to using TIMG tags.

Likes others have pointed out, TIMG tags don't make a smaller image load.. So, there's honestly little point.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yeah... In a PHOTO thread, we're all here dealing with fast connections... I don't see any advantages to using TIMG tags.

Likes others have pointed out, TIMG tags don't make a smaller image load.. So, there's honestly little point.
Having gigantic images in threads degrades the appearance of the site.

Why do people like to post images too large to be viewed without scrolling? It's much nicer aesthetically to have a reasonably sized image.

For this reason, Moderators generally resize very large images to fit properly in a typical browser window. This is nothing new.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Here's two shots of my younger brother and his girlfriend at the "Dam Park" in Loudon, TN. They're taken from my first "photoshoot" with my Canon XTi. Hopefully it'll be fine being directly linked from Picasa... I haven't really tried that before.

Shot at 10MP RAW. C&C welcome, of course.

IMG_2313.jpg

1/200, f5.6, ISO 200

IMG_2402.jpg

1/2000, f5.6, ISO 800

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Having gigantic images in threads degrades the appearance of the site.

Why do people like to post images too large to be viewed without scrolling? It's much nicer aesthetically to have a reasonably sized image.

For this reason, Moderators generally resize very large images to fit properly in a typical browser window. This is nothing new.
No one has posted a gigantic image. Mine was about 1000 pixels wide; hardly large enough to require a post edit with TIMG tags.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
No one has posted a gigantic image. Mine was about 1000 pixels wide; hardly large enough to require a post edit with TIMG tags.
That image would be wider than my iMac's screen, much less my browser window. So yes, it did require an edit to fit within many user's browser windows.

Please be mindful that many users are on computers which may have smaller resolutions.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
2156968005_50b07870a3_b.jpg

Quite new to this whole photography thing, so bear with me. Taken just a bit ago in zero degree weather (fahrenheit).

Tripod mounted, 14s, f 4.2, iso 400, 30mm. D40x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.