Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Morning Village Veil

earlyvillagecopycopy.jpg

Morning Village Veil
Nong Khiew, Laos
Dec. 22, 2007
Nikon D40x
Micro Nikkor 105mm AF-D
30s @ f9
Hoya 72R IR filter

The sun lifted the valley mists every morning by 9 or 10 am from this small mountain village in northern Laos.

ps: Thanks folks for the comments on yesterday's post. Appreciated! :)

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
That image would be wider than my iMac's screen, much less my browser window. So yes, it did require an edit to fit within many user's browser windows.

Please be mindful that many users are on computers which may have smaller resolutions.
Really? 1000 pixels is wider than your iMac's screen?

Nice shot... but somehow the picture looks too tightly cropped... like there's a bottom half that's missing (or maybe it's just me :)).
Thanks Doylem! No, it's just you, I had to crop out the rough edges since its a three-shot panorama as well.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Planter12/earlyvillagecopycopy.jpg

Morning Village Veil
Nong Khiew, Laos
Dec. 22, 2007
Nikon D40x
Micro Nikkor 105mm AF-D
30s @ f9
Hoya 72R IR filter
Awesome shot freebooter. I love your landscape work.

Chillijam

macrumors member
Taken at 11:55 am on Christmas Day at my parents' place, but I've only just got around to cropping the image for a more pleasing composition. It ain't perfect, but I'm still learning. :)

Attachments

• TheFog.jpg
    TheFog.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 122
L

Lau

Taken at 11:55 am on Christmas Day at my parents' place, but I've only just got around to cropping the image for a more pleasing composition. It ain't perfect, but I'm still learning. :)

That's funny, as I took a very similar one on Christmas Eve at my parents' place! (This was in Essex, by the way, just for reference - where was yours?) The fog was crazy at Christmas.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 126

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
port.jpg

Digital Rebel XTi

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,000

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Really? 1000 pixels is wider than your iMac's screen?
Sorry, my mistake. :eek: At the time I was thinking height, not width.

But still, keep in mind, a normal browsing window is approx. 1000 pixels wide (the width of most websites), so when there's a photo 1000 pixels wide in the forums, it doesn't fit.

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
6 Arches

Took a trip up to some archaeological sites in the centre of Athens. These are the arches at the back of the Amphitheatre of Dionysus - the Greek God of wine...
dsc0003av3.jpg

Hopefully that doesn't cause any horizontal scrolling...:p

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
But still, keep in mind, a normal browsing window is approx. 1000 pixels wide (the width of most websites), so when there's a photo 1000 pixels wide in the forums, it doesn't fit.
And scroll up this page to see the size of some these photos. Two of them, posted by squeeks and LillieDesigns, are larger than what I have previously posted. I don't see any post edits on those though. It's extremely inconsistent. This new moderator (who hasn't posted once in this thread might I add) should have left the thread as it has always been rather than trying to do something beneficial, but instead doing it randomly at the inconvenience of several members who use this thread often.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Sorry, my mistake. :eek: At the time I was thinking height, not width.

There is really no standard width for websites, with many of them reformatting to the size of the browser window, at least as best as they can. I use an older Thinkpad with only a 800 pix wide screen, and a desktop Mac with a 19" monitor and much higher resolution. On my laptop, yes... I have to scroll often up and down or sideways to see the entirety of the larger pics posted here, but when I use my desktop they don't look that big at all. My pics posted here are by default 800 pix wide (or tall if vertical) and unless you have an ancient computer like me, they don't present any kind of problem viewing on this forum. I really didn't see what the fuss was about concerning pics which were under 1000 pix wide, since so many other forums I regularly visit show similar sized pictures all the time. (examples would be shots where someone is showing how they installed something or the classic unpacking shots when someone gets some hot product in the first few days.) These things all seem to just be accepted. This thread, and forum is for photography, and with that in mind, image posting is to be expected. Just my $0.02. Peace, and out!

Chillijam

macrumors member
That's funny, as I took a very similar one on Christmas Eve at my parents' place! (This was in Essex, by the way, just for reference - where was yours?) The fog was crazy at Christmas.

My folks are up near Lancaster. The fog didn't really clear all day, and I got some good shots, albeit low(ish) quality on a P&S camera. Still, a quick thread on here, and I picked up some good tips for making the most of them. :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
And this matters why?

Have patience.

And contrary to popular myth, there are still people in this world stuck with dial-up.

Heh heh, I was one of them until just a few months ago. But... I also knew that if I was browsing a thread to look at pictures, I was in for a good wait. And, if for the sake of the few of us on dial-up, you guys restricted the picture postings to thumbnails, what's the point of the thread? For a dial-up user you still have to endure the loading of the main image to see it bigger than a postage stamp, and if you didn't intend to view the pictures in the first place, then the thread wouldn't make sense to visit.

On the point of the moderator not being a regular thread/forum contributor: Well, certainly mods don't have to be, but to have a sense for what the forum/thread means to those who are regular contributors, a mod who is active in the forum certainly would have more credibility to resolve issues, and explain things that matter to the rest of us peons who do make up the core constituency... if you get my meaning.... Do you want a bean counter deciding how you display your art? Do you want a photographer telling you how to quote your code? It's all in how it's done, and if the concerns of the base users are being addressed fairly, regardless of the forum. Just food for thought. Cheers.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
On the point of the moderator not being a regular thread/forum contributor: Well, certainly mods don't have to be, but to have a sense for what the forum/thread means to those who are regular contributors, a mod who is active in the forum certainly would have more credibility to resolve issues, and explain things that matter to the rest of us peons who do make up the core constituency... if you get my meaning.... Do you want a bean counter deciding how you display your art? Do you want a photographer telling you how to quote your code? It's all in how it's done, and if the concerns of the base users are being addressed fairly, regardless of the forum. Just food for thought. Cheers.

Agreed.

I regularly view this thread and have been doing so for a long time. It is perhaps why I have been the main moderator editing the pictures recently because I have been viewing this thread to look at the pictures.

If you want to see what it can become like look at this page as an example.

It is a matter that we are looking into.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
For a dial-up user you still have to endure the loading of the main image to see it bigger than a postage stamp, and if you didn't intend to view the pictures in the first place, then the thread wouldn't make sense to visit.

Agreed.

However... there's no reason in the world that a poster needs to post a enormous image when a thumbnailed image that is linked to their enormous image would suffice. Someone scrolls through, sees one(s) they like, click on the linked image. This is the Photo of the Day, not the Bandwidth Hog of the Day thread, ya?

Easy. Clean. Neat.

Please use the

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.