Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Oriental Sunrise

ptikus421.jpg

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Took this this evening...

This is lovely. :)

This boat has been tied up like this for ages, I always imagine that it is being used by someone trying to dispose of a body ;)
This was actually just taken as a test shot for an old lens I inherited. It's an old manual focus smc Pentax-A 1:1:7 50mm, i'm impressed with it so far and also impressed with my K10d's ability to handle old glass (and with Shake Reduction too).

P.S thanks to everyone who liked my last post, I take it as a big compliment being compared to "The Reef" . Cheers Guys.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

This boat has been tied up like this for ages, I always imagine that it is being used by someone trying to dispose of a body ;)
This was actually just taken as a test shot for an old lens I inherited. It's an old manual focus smc Pentax-A 1:1:7 50mm, i'm impressed with it so far and also impressed with my K10d's ability to handle old glass (and with Shake Reduction too).

P.S thanks to everyone who liked my last post, I take it as a big compliment being compared to "The Reef" . Cheers Guys.

The symmetrical composition works really well here. My eyes want to run up and and down all of those lines tied to the boat and always settle nicely on the boat itself. It really works.

My husband uses that old manual focus lens on his K100D and has gotten some superb images out of it. It has great sharpness and contrast.

Absolutely Brilliant lighting and tonality. I would love to see the sky burned down a bit, at least have the left side match the right side so it gives the image a distictive border. Also I would try burning that land mass in the background a bit darker. Beyond that it really is a brilliant shot, one of the better I have seen in a long time in that genre.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Doylem/H2Ockey: I was more aiming on the emphasis of the ginormous amounts of money than Obama himself. When I saw the headline I was shocked. All this money's gotta come from somewhere.

I can appreciate that and figured it was probably the case. Sometimes there is a shot you want and a message the photographer is trying to convey, but there are elements to the scene which in someway detract from that message or maybe change the message in the eyes of the viewer. This is something I really like about photography vs painting. Even with Photoshop or similar devices to essentially change or adjust the image to fit the artists vision, at some point you are constrained by what is there and what is availible to you as far as how much you can adjust with light and composition. To get it right takes vision, patience and sometimes blind luck, but I really feel much more proud about a good photo than a good drawing or painting.
To that extent had this been a sketch or a painting, the picture would not have had a person in it. If there is a person in the frame, naturally the viewer wants the person in focus, or atleast to be in some way a subject.
I think this shot worked for what you were going for, and that the Shallow DOF on the Newpaper headline was very good and the hints of the rest of the story fading out of focus. The only issue is dealing with other peoples brains.
I like the subject, the idea, overall the composition, the use of shallow depth of field, there is just the one distracting element out of control.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Took this this evening...

Where is this? The trees look northern... but the water looks tropical. It's really a captivating panoramic... well done.

Another macro with the Lumix LZ8. This is my older Canon A95 which was in my camera bag that I accidentally backed over with my car. The top part of the frame was bent, but otherwise it still works perfectly...

P1010627.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/13 sec
Aperture: 3.3
Focal Length: 5.2mm

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA

Great picture... I love the contrast and the clearity but I personally would crop the top and the right side off because it is just wasted space.

edit: If you don't mind I cropped it how I would.

This is absolutely perfect. Has everything I look for in a good photo. I don't think I would change anything about it. Nicely done.

Another macro with the Lumix LZ8. This is my older Canon A95 ...

I have this camera! I still use it as my p&s. The D80 gets the majority of the use though.

Another of mine from SF:
3240349774_fee371fb7a_b.jpg

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
edit: If you don't mind I cropped it how I would.

Thanks! This was the first time messing around with my new D40. I've always been more of a video guy, but have always messed around with my grandpas SLR's and decided to get my own.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Don't know about the cropping. My problem is it looks like the photographer's leg that the dog is chewing, and once that idea takes hold, it's hard for me to see the pic any other way. :-(

That's because the body's still in it... :eek:

It's a lovely picture... Somehow the dull conditions really suit the subject...

The North of England has these amazing limestone 'pavements', which keep drawing me back. You have to watch your step, 'cos there are deep fissures between the limestone blocks: one false move and you've got a broken ankle to deal with. The trees somehow manage to survive in this rocky terrain...

pavementfz4.jpg

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
xcalibre

I just checked out your website! Use capital letters after full stops or use "I" instead of "i" and your email address why not just use the "@" symbol instead of saying blah at blah dot com?

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Ok time for me to jump back into the stream! This is a shot from a large format camera with a Leaf Aptus II 17 digital back ($$$$$). My first pretty good shot with it. Let me know what you think, I'm just going to post the link because it is a HUGE picture. We're talking, the RAW file is 30MB! :eek:

Linky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.