Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Verry cool!

Here is a pic of a little Robin that I took earlier this month.

4282190511_99e6d53b7e_b.jpg

This is such a lovely shot. British robins are far different than those of NA... as somebody already pointed out. When I grow up, I want to take photos like this one. Nice!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Clear Creek, Mountain Loop Highway, North Cascades.

EXIF Summary: 1/8s f/8.0 ISO100 100mm

Dale
Absolutely beautiful! I like how you captured the center rock clean and clear while the water around it got that cool flowing effect.

1ZJt

These are my three dogs. The other day they were all hanging out on the stairs in the sunlight and I thought it was adorable so I snapped a few pictures. I just wish the background were more interesting. Comments and criticism are more than welcome. :)

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
This is such a lovely shot. British robins are far different than those of NA... as somebody already pointed out. When I grow up, I want to take photos like this one. Nice!

Thanks. It means a lot to me that someone is aspiring to be able to take images like mine. That's just made my day. :D

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
4306055476_0028f98294.jpg

Alright, so this is really two photos, but it's a diptych, so I'll just say it counts.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

clearcreekflow3.jpg

Dale

I love this one. The shutter speed was perfect, and the image captures the power and motion of the water without being too ethereal, as many moving water shots are. I can hear the rushing water, almost feel it. Really nice. I'm going to have to try some flowing water shots, since like you, I'm here in the rainy corner of the country. The old timers call the steady, light drizzle "the dry rain."

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

clearcreekflow3.jpg

Dale

Very pretty, Dale. I really like the contrast of textures here. I have to admit I admired it even more when I tried flipping it horizontally so that the water flows down from the upper left. (Yes I do those sorts of things. ;))

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I love this one. The shutter speed was perfect, and the image captures the power and motion of the water without being too ethereal, as many moving water shots are. I can hear the rushing water, almost feel it. Really nice. I'm going to have to try some flowing water shots, since like you, I'm here in the rainy corner of the country. The old timers call the steady, light drizzle "the dry rain."

Very pretty, Dale. I really like the contrast of textures here. I have to admit I admired it even more when I tried flipping it horizontally so that the water flows down from the upper left. (Yes I do those sorts of things. ;))

Thanks for all the comments, folks! I have some other shots from this creek and another on that drive. They will be up every other day or so. I like the contrasting dynamic between the stable rock and the frantic water.

I thought it was an ordinary slow shutter stream shot myself. But I won't argue with anyone here.

Thanks again.

Dale

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Haven't been here for quite a while, but wow, some fantastic images, everyone!

4302408950_c67467cbc3_o.jpg

Hockey superstar Wayne Gretzky at the 2010 Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational golf tournament, Nassau, Bahamas.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Nice color grading. Can you give a hint on how you did it?

Thank you, and of course. That day I had gone out with a friend to shoot downtown, but I just wasn't in the mood and got very few shots. So I guess I did quite a bit of processing on the shots that I thought were usable. Here are the shots SOOC.
screenshot20100127at837.png

The adjustments were mainly just moving around a lot of the sliders in Photoshop until I was satisfied with the colors; I didn't really do a set of things. First I just did some aligning and cropping, and then I made adjustments in the 'Color Balance' pane. I can't remember exactly how much I moved them, but it would change for which picture you were editing anyhow.
I had a 'Channel Mixer' and 'Curves' adjustment layers that looked something like the following, and their opacity were around 20% or so:
screenshot20100127at859.png

screenshot20100127at859.png

I'm not quite sure how much help that was, but again, much of it was just fiddling around with the settings until I was pleased enough with what I saw.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
C & C from me would be to anticipate the likelihood of an interesting sunset, and make sure you're standing somewhere more photogenic (with camera on tripod...) when the colour is approaching its best. Not easy, I appreciate... but that's how you get more into the picture than just tree branches... ;)
thanks... yeah it wasnt planned, i just walked outta my room, and saw that sun beaming through the window and was shocked! so i ran and took it out of the first floor window, hence the crop... the rest of the bottom of the photo was the window frame :eek:

Passing late afternoon thunder storm of summer.

imgp9086.jpg

Pentax K10D - 4 sec - f/13.0 - ISO140 - 16mm (24mm equiv)
and i thought my sunset was alright.. bloody hell mate this is brilliant!

Foreverwontcome

macrumors member
May 25, 2008
Stow, Ohio
Thanks, no retouching on that one. I did all the retouching today on the
shoot and am posting to my deviant page the results of my work. They
turned out really good, some image adjusting, pucker, liquifying, the usual.
She's actually really cool about the whole net thing, I get away with a lot.
In any case here's another after some retouching. I really wish I had a nice
camera. =( And yes, will be sure to delete allll the pictures off the camera
prior to returning! ahahah

Anyways I attached two pictures. One is of her playing some guitar hero 5,
and the next two just posing. I noticed a few things I need to go do in
Photoshop. In any case I hope you guys like these. ^_^ Oh and I was
just playing with diffuse glow in these. I like the effect. We really wanted
to go outside but there was too much snow! =( So I apologize for the
messy room and the blanket curtain! ahaha

haha - yeah i understand i did a set for my fiance about a month and a half ago i am thinking of posting some. but thats sweet you have a cool wife that understands.

what kind of POS (point and shoot) camera do you use?

also ever check lightroom?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.