Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello-Jeremy

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Oslo, Norway
4311239357_ef6abaf10e_o.jpg

We played hockey on that ice 5 minutes later

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

archfv.jpg

Yup... something good happening here, but, for me, the sun is a distraction, drawing my eye to the top of the pic... when what's interesting, IMO, is what's happening at the bottom... with the shadows, the lettering on the archway, the blowing show, etc. In fact, I'd be tempted to crop almost half the pic away. I don't know... :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
45 Minutes Old

I became an Uncle again twice in the last 24 hours, early this morning a 1:30AM ET one nephew showed up, and this afternoon at 12:30MST another one came along. Unfortunately, I'm not back east to get pics of the first, but here is the new guy from today. 45 minutes old

ds-j.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II :: 135 mm :: f 2 :: 1/125 sec :: iso 400

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Yup... something good happening here, but, for me, the sun is a distraction, drawing my eye to the top of the pic... when what's interesting, IMO, is what's happening at the bottom... with the shadows, the lettering on the archway, the blowing show, etc. In fact, I'd be tempted to crop almost half the pic away. I don't know... :)

Wow... I really, really, really like this. Beautiful.

Thanks for the feedback.

Without seeming defensive, I've attempted to illustrate my compositional considerations with two attachments:
While the re-crop still works compositionally, my preference is to avoid centre placement of important elements.
If you look at the eye-flow lines I have overlaid on the original you can see there are two focal points. One created by the hotspot of the obscured sun and one by the compositional shapes in the scene. The visual shapes and rhythm of the tree branches help to lead the viewer's eye through, imo, a more pleasing rectangular composition. I like that the gate falls through the bottom 1/3 rather than being dead centre as in the re-crop.

Thanks for taking the time to provide comments. I think what may be bothering you visually is that the sun is too hot and I could have made a greater effort to tone it down.

Attachments

• archfv.jpg
    archfv.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 118
  • cemetery-1.jpg
    cemetery-1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 119

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Trinity Newfoundland

like the song" between two trees we kissed and made up":D

Attachments

• DSC02225.jpg
    DSC02225.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 120

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Without seeming defensive, I've attempted to illustrate my compositional considerations with two attachments:
While the re-crop still works compositionally, my preference is to avoid centre placement of important elements.
If you look at the eye-flow lines I have...

Well, concerning formal elements, value is the quickest way to direct the eye. Light comes to the foreground, while darkness recedes into the background. That sun is at 255 on the histogram, easily pulling attention to it, except it's not a focal point you'd want. Its presence also darkens your snow, visually, to a grey tone, despite it containing a good bit of bright elements. If you want to avoid a centered line composition, fine, but you end up with a glaring hot spot that will do nothing but distract. If you want to have a lower third horizontal line without a distracting sun, next time get higher and shoot down. Or... wait until the light is better.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Well, concerning formal elements, value is the quickest way to direct the eye. Light comes to the foreground, while darkness recedes into the background. That sun is at 255 on the histogram, easily pulling attention to it, except it's not a focal point you'd want. Its presence also darkens your snow, visually, to a grey tone, despite it containing a good bit of bright elements. If you want to avoid a centered line composition, fine, but you end up with a glaring hot spot that will do nothing but distract. If you want to have a lower third horizontal line without a distracting sun, next time get higher and shoot down. Or... wait until the light is better.

Thanks for your input. I see the sun as a point of impact with the compositional flow handled by the other elements I described. I did agree, in my last post, that the sun is too hot but I respectfully disagree that the sun in this composition "... will do nothing but distract."

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Thanks for your input. I see the sun as a point of impact with the compositional flow handled by the other elements I described. I did agree, in my last post, that the sun is too hot but I respectfully disagree that the sun in this composition "... will do nothing but distract."

I have to agree with you and, in fact, I quite like the sun. Sure, maybe it's "technically" too bright, maybe it "technically" draws your eye there first before allowing you to scan the rest of the image, but it's still a beautiful photograph.

Sometimes rules are made to be broken :)

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
<b>A room in a lens</b>

Unfortunately I had to jack up the ISO to 3200 in order to use a shutter speed that wouldn't show any shake in the mirror because the bedroom has only one light and you're seeing it in the lens. Any recommendations for good noise reduction software? I tried reducing it in Lightroom but I'm not very happy with the result.

4313266674_44a46324d2.jpg

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
A room in a lens

Unfortunately I had to jack up the ISO to 3200 in order to use a shutter speed that wouldn't show any shake in the mirror because the bedroom has only one light and you're seeing it in the lens. Any recommendations for good noise reduction software? I tried reducing it in Lightroom but I'm not very happy with the result.

I have heard people say that noise Ninja is good and I tried their demo with good success. I had already paid for the noise reduction suite from Topaz Labs and couldn't justify another plugin, though. Whichever one you get, do a search for site coupons as many of the photo sites can get you a 10-15% discount if you use their code.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Any recommendations for good noise reduction software? I tried reducing it in Lightroom but I'm not very happy with the result.

Just another idea... I tried a colour correction to adjust for the yellow cast and that significantly reduced the noise. That may be an option if you don't mind going cooler with the image.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Just another idea... I tried a colour correction to adjust for the yellow cast and that significantly reduced the noise. That may be an option if you don't mind going cooler with the image.

Would you mind posting the image (I'm at work right now)? What I was trying to maintain was the colors of the reflection in the lens. If that could be maintained while cooling the rest of the image that would be great. Come to think of it, gray scaling the entire image except for the glass could be a nice way to handle this image as well. I appreciate the feedback.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Would you mind posting the image (I'm at work right now)? What I was trying to maintain was the colors of the reflection in the lens. If that could be maintained while cooling the rest of the image that would be great. Come to think of it, gray scaling the entire image except for the glass could be a nice way to handle this image as well. I appreciate the feedback.

Here is the image with color correction (to my taste) only. Edit - I notice that upon export some artifacting has been added. Try it with your original image and see if you notice a difference.

Attachments

• 4313266674_44a46324d2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.