Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Venice by night

D85_3675-XL.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
One of my favourite succulents in our garden.

_MG_9329-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Aperture Priority, Partial Metering
ISO 800, 105mm, f/8, 1/2500

[doublepost=1515707212][/doublepost]
I love bulbs in the garden, is the extreme cold over and done with in your area, Molly? Seems like Summer's only just starting here! I've only ever lived in a temperate zone so have no idea what happens for bulbs in really cold regions.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
I love bulbs in the garden, is the extreme cold over and done with in your area, Molly? Seems like Summer's only just starting here! I've only ever lived in a temperate zone so have no idea what happens for bulbs in really cold regions.

No, we will still have a fair amount of cold to come (I live in the Washington DC area). My daffodils often come up before Christmas and then just hang out like this for a couple of months. So far this is the only patch that has come up early; one year nearly all of them did, and then just as they were about to bloom we had a horrible snow and they pretty much all were ruined.

I have a strong dislike for winter and as a small girl would spend hours hunting for daffodil sprouts in the snow (I grew up in a much colder area where winter lasted seemingly forever). They excite me just as much now, but they are easier and earlier to find here. :)

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
No, we will still have a fair amount of cold to come (I live in the Washington DC area). My daffodils often come up before Christmas and then just hang out like this for a couple of months. So far this is the only patch that has come up early; one year nearly all of them did, and then just as they were about to bloom we had a horrible snow and they pretty much all were ruined.

I have a strong dislike for winter and as a small girl would spend hours hunting for daffodil sprouts in the snow (I grew up in a much colder area where winter lasted seemingly forever). They excite me just as much now, but they are easier and earlier to find here. :)
In my previous house we received over 500 daffodil and jonquil bulbs from the mother-in-laws garden, when we subdivided her chronically overgrown plots and gave the poor things a bit of breathing room! They looked resplendent in the front yard when they came up, nestled amongst a grove of Cully River Birch, and the smell was intoxicating! :cool:

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
I don't have that many! We built our house five years ago and I planted all our bulbs, but I can never remember where or how many! So I haven't planted too many more since the first go round for fear I dig them all up when planting new ones! Hahaha!

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I'm really enjoying your Venice series, Peter. Plans are in the works for a potential Italy trip, possibly this year, to visit my mother's village and where my grandfather is buried and expand from there. Venice is definitely on the list.
Thanks very much Florian. :)

I loved Venice and highly recommend it for the photo opportunities and the food. Be prepared to spend a few days there and don't be surprised by the crowds. You'll find a significant number of people around St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco) and the Rialto Bridge.

Be sure to venture into the much less busy areas off the Grand Canal for shots of the small branch canals and amazing restaurants/cafes/bakeries. Of course, getting out with a tripod in the early morning and at night helps to beat some of the crowds.

~ Peter

Reactions: fcortese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.