Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Thanks very much Florian. :)

I loved Venice and highly recommend it for the photo opportunities and the food. Be prepared to spend a few days there and don't be surprised by the crowds. You'll find a significant number of people around St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco) and the Rialto Bridge.

Be sure to venture into the much less busy areas off the Grand Canal for shots of the small branch canals and amazing restaurants/cafes/bakeries. Of course, getting out with a tripod in the early morning and at night helps to beat some of the crowds.

~ Peter
I plan on doing just that! :)

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Travel on the Grand Canal

D85_3648-XL.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Fire & Ice
December 2017

Clatteringshaws Reservoir showcasing nature's contrasting warm and cool colour palette during sunrise on a winter's morning in the Galloway Hills. I love the composition of this "quiet" landscape shot. The deliberate framing of objects, shapes and colours provides a good level of compositional balance and tonal harmony in the scene.

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.9 Neutral Density Hard Graduated Filter and Format Hitech Firecrest 0.9 Neutral Density Solid filter and Firecrest 105mm Polariser.

8s / f11 / ISO 200

DSCF0493-Edit small PL.jpg

As a side note
- I was asked here before about producing a video type thing about a shoot and processing. Would anyone be interested in a quick video about about a shot I posted previously? I took a quick iPhone video on location to sort of test the water and whilst I'm not a professional or in any way an expert in landscape photography (or videography) I'll cobble something together if there is enough interest. Be warned, it won't be to the standards of Thomas Heaton, Ben Horne or the likes!

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016

As a side note
- I was asked here before about producing a video type thing about a shoot and processing. Would anyone be interested in a quick video about about a shot I posted previously? I took a quick iPhone video on location to sort of test the water and whilst I'm not a professional or in any way an expert in landscape photography (or videography) I'll cobble something together if there is enough interest. Be warned, it won't be to the standards of Thomas Heaton, Ben Horne or the likes!

yup!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Fire & Ice
December 2017

Clatteringshaws Reservoir showcasing nature's contrasting warm and cool colour palette during sunrise on a winter's morning in the Galloway Hills. I love the composition of this "quiet" landscape shot. The deliberate framing of objects, shapes and colours provides a good level of compositional balance and tonal harmony in the scene.

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.9 Neutral Density Hard Graduated Filter and Format Hitech Firecrest 0.9 Neutral Density Solid filter and Firecrest 105mm Polariser.

8s / f11 / ISO 200

View attachment 746682

As a side note
Yes please!
Nice image btw.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
My favourite flower in the garden for photography, but that's going to have to change in about a months time, as I'm ripping out the hedge that it comes from in our front yard. It takes up too much space, is too leggy/sparse, and seems to be coming to the end of its short (8 year) lifespan. We are going to be replacing it with a climber on a trellis of some sort that will take up a lot less width and provide denser coverage. Possibly Passionfruit's of a few varieties, even though they only have a short 7 year lifespan.

_MG_9333-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Partial Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 800, 105mm, f/4, 1/3200

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My favourite flower in the garden for photography, but that's going to have to change in about a months time, as I'm ripping out the hedge that it comes from in our front yard. It takes up too much space, is too leggy/sparse, and seems to be coming to the end of its short (8 year) lifespan. We are going to be replacing it with a climber on a trellis of some sort that will take up a lot less width and provide denser coverage. Possibly Passionfruit's of a few varieties, even though they only have a short 7 year lifespan.

_MG_9333-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Partial Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 800, 105mm, f/4, 1/3200
We lost a similar plant in our garden this year. I's been pretty woody for years, but did give me lots of flower shots in the past. However this summer nothing :(
Here's one from summers past

_DSC1636 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
We lost a similar plant in our garden this year. I's been pretty woody for years, but did give me lots of flower shots in the past. However this summer nothing :(
Here's one from summers past

_DSC1636 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
I reckon yours is a variance of the same thing! Same leaf and flower structure, just a different coloured flower.
[doublepost=1515889785][/doublepost]
Fire & Ice
December 2017

8s / f11 / ISO 200

View attachment 746682

As a side note
Beautiful contrasts and reflections, Mark!

I'll put my name down as another that would be interested in your methods! I like seeing/reading/hearing about others techniques. You never know what little gems you might pick up and incorporate. :cool:

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
In a macro mood today.

39675567381_0dcb17ce54_c.jpg

[doublepost=1515891151][/doublepost]

I like this, but beware of a response from @kenoh: he's made threats towards me if I ever shoot another lamp photo ;)

You know what? I was going to complement you on your macro... But after that lamp comment... Well yeah... Just yeah... Lol....

Reactions: kallisti

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Fire & Ice

As a side note - I was asked here before about producing a video type thing about a shoot and processing. Would anyone be interested in a quick video about about a shot I posted previously? I took a quick iPhone video on location to sort of test the water and whilst I'm not a professional or in any way an expert in landscape photography (or videography) I'll cobble something together if there is enough interest. Be warned, it won't be to the standards of Thomas Heaton, Ben Horne or the likes!
Beautiful shot and please do post a video Mark...any opportunity to learn is most welcome.

~ Peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.