Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
A flower from one of our cactus that hasn't flowered before. It only lasted a day.

_MG_9602-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Spot Metering, Manual Mode
ISO 800, 105mm, f/8, 1/250

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Well we're all glad you weren't out! Is it a white flower?
Yup, it was white. If it had have been pink or yellow, or some other colour, I probably would have kept the image in colour, but I think the B&W has brought more attention to the finer details on the petals here.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Some cacti bloom only one night in a year. Frequently associated with a full moon too. At least in my experiences.
A very special shot indeed.
We have one variety of those sort in a hanging basket, it flowers one night on the full moon in December and smells divine! The moths go mad for it for some reason, must mimic a pheromone or something. Glad you enjoyed the image!

Reactions: AppleKarma

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Lovely skies. Just watch the red cast on the trees - assuming unintentional of course, apologies if played for and won... :)
[doublepost=1516711326][/doublepost]
cbf7f71bf3ef3b7de15545ec060a9fca.jpg

I was asked to photograph the local youth orchestra. (no the bass players are backups because they can't find children to play the bass.)

Lol... was gonna say! took you a while to get the right shot apparently... - so long they are no longer youths
[doublepost=1516711543][/doublepost]
5eaca286914971c88135aed3f4d46c51.jpg

Where the land meets the ocean.

I’m not very happy with the outcome here but can’t quite put my finger on what it is that’s bothering me about this picture.

I think it is nice. I suspect what is happening is that the slope of the cliff and the rocks is making you feel the image is tilted to the left maybe? or the patch of grass in the front right is breaking your pattern of the rocks?

Maybe next time, get behind that big rock on the left and make it a bit of foreground interest???

Remember: I know nothing... feel free to ignore.
[doublepost=1516711667][/doublepost]

Hi Macro-Molly.. :)

Great shot. Have you tried taking a shot straight on square to the points with the pencils providing leading lines up out of the frame organised into the rainbow sequence? (am I describing that right?)
[doublepost=1516711912][/doublepost]I kinda like this one - another from the Falkirk Wheel.

Whats the view on the circles and the panel lines in the first arc? should I get rid of them or leave them?

DSCF5876-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

In other news: I had a moment with a Fuji GFX50 today with the 63mm f2.8 lens. It didn't feel any bigger than a Leica SL in all honesty. Deeper than i expected, from top view kind of looks a little Hasselblad H4D-ish...

Only had a play around the shop for 10 minutes but wow! the images are super detailed and HA-YOU-JE! (huge) So, yeah, I got out of the shop with my savings intact so RESULT!

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Horizon is a bit off on the left. Other than that, great shot :)

[doublepost=1516711543][/doublepost]

I think it is nice. I suspect what is happening is that the slope of the cliff and the rocks is making you feel the image is tilted to the left maybe? or the patch of grass in the front right is breaking your pattern of the rocks?

Maybe next time, get behind that big rock on the left and make it a bit of foreground interest???

Remember: I know nothing... feel free to ignore.
[doublepost=1516711667][/doublepost]

I like it. As above just sort that horizon issue.

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys. Really appreciate it.

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Macro-Molly.. :)

Great shot. Have you tried taking a shot straight on square to the points with the pencils providing leading lines up out of the frame organised into the rainbow sequence? (am I describing that right?)
[doublepost=1516711912][/doublepost]I kinda like this one - another from the Falkirk Wheel.

Well at 6:15pm yesterday I was in a panic that I hadn't taken a photo, so this is the only vantage point I took. I am not sure exactly what you are describing, but Rainbow was one potential theme when I grabbed the box of pencils. But they weren't lined up in rainbow order, much to my consternation! I shall try a rainbow sort at some point! Thanks!

Reactions: kenoh

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Lovely skies. Just watch the red cast on the trees - assuming unintentional of course, apologies if played for and won... :)

I kinda like this one - another from the Falkirk Wheel.

Whats the view on the circles and the panel lines in the first arc? should I get rid of them or leave them?

DSCF5876-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
Yeah, good call. It was the golden hour sunlight playing on the trees - it sort of looked autumnal so I left it in.
I'd leave the lines and shadows of that arc in as it adds something in my opinion :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah, good call. It was the golden hour sunlight playing on the trees - it sort of looked autumnal so I left it in.
I'd leave the lines and shadows of that arc in as it adds something in my opinion :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Thanks mate... yeah the purist in me says leave them...

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.