Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I like this. Love abstract shots like this and on that... it is ripping my knitting... what is it?
[doublepost=1515152331][/doublepost]

All Ashore
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

Very nice. Lovely colours. Got what is becoming your trademark saturated blue... :)
[doublepost=1515152446][/doublepost]

love the composition, love the mood, love the light but maybe just too dark in the shadows, there is gorgeous texture in those rock faces. Can you lift it a tad to bring more out maybe?
[doublepost=1515152505][/doublepost]
_MG_9382-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, Partial Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 500, 90mm, f/2.8, 1/4000

[doublepost=1514926425][/doublepost]
A 365 project is a great thing to do, even just to force yourself to pick up the camera each day, to really become one with it! I did one for a few years running and got a heck of a lot out of it, challenging myself with various themes and pushing myself further in a technical sense.

Looking forward to seeing the explorations you share with us here, Molly!

Gorgeous light. Lovely image composition, just wish the focus was a little deeper.
[doublepost=1515152537][/doublepost]Wow, sorry guys, I am being the critic all of a sudden...

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Gorgeous light. Lovely image composition, just wish the focus was a little deeper.
[doublepost=1515152537][/doublepost]Wow, sorry guys, I am being the critic all of a sudden...
No need to apologise, Ken! I'm a think-skinned fella.

I love that one exactly as it is, with the razor thin DOF and just the tip of that petal being in focus, and luckily, as it's my image, that's really all that counts! It's the composition, the light and that mix of just being recognisable and almost going into the abstract that I like so much about it. ;):D

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So, Boxing Day I went to Luss with the family and our visitors.

Luss is on the western bank of Loch Lomond, about 40 minutes from Glasgow centre. There is so much around the shore of Loch Lomond, I am so lucky being so close.

Anyway, we took a dodge up there and there is a pier so I crawled underneath and took a shot. As usual, everyone was accurate in thinking I was crazy. I need to go back with my tripod and do it properly next time.

DSCF5274-Edit.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I like this. Love abstract shots like this and on that... it is ripping my knitting... what is it?
[doublepost=1515152331][/doublepost]

Very nice. Lovely colours. Got what is becoming your trademark saturated blue... :)
[doublepost=1515152446][/doublepost]

love the composition, love the mood, love the light but maybe just too dark in the shadows, there is gorgeous texture in those rock faces. Can you lift it a tad to bring more out maybe?
[doublepost=1515152505][/doublepost]

Thanks Ken. Not sure I like to be trademarked ;) - I am trying to tone it down you know :D

Hugh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks Ken. Not sure I like to be trademarked ;) - I am trying to tone it down you know :D

Hugh

lol... on your flickr feed, 19 of the first 22 images have HughMac Blue in them... any more and you would have a colour reputation like David Hockney... :p

Just kidding... but it is a theme in your pictures...

:)

Don't try and tone anything down.... your images, your vision... but it is fun to mention it...

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
lol... on your flickr feed, 19 of the first 22 images have HughMac Blue in them... any more and you would have a colour reputation like David Hockney... :p

Just kidding... but it is a theme in your pictures...

:)

Don't try and tone anything down.... your images, your vision... but it is fun to mention it...
:p:p

keyrex

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2012
U.K.
Thanks. Funny isn't it. I wasn't really happy with this shot so nearly didn't post it.

I preferred the lone tree and the driftwood on the beach.

It took me a while to go back and see that one again, i did 'like' it at the time but forgot about it, it is a close call but i still think the new one wins for me. I think it may be the line of light down the left, not sure but i do like it. Keep 'em comin'.

Cheers AFB. Here's something from a few yards away that gives a better perspective. Comments always appreciated.

Under the arches mono
by another scotsman, on Flickr

I went to Manchester a few months ago, admittedly i didn't take my camera but i did look around for potential shots i could take in the future, i was not impressed at all, there were a few photogenic subjects but not so much as to warrant a day out all the way 'up there' instead, i went to Birmingham. After viewing these i think i must've gone to the wrong places because i didn't see the canal basin at all and these are really nice shots, maybe i will go back after all. I'm sure all Mancunians will be very pleased to know i will be back!
Well done on these shots the BW works well and they're framed nicely too, lots of interest in the shot.

This one is great too, it's leading lines take you all the way into the picture and it really generates an interest, really well done on this one.

Library Walk
by another scotsman, on Flickr[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1515170429][/doublepost]
I'm getting better, I think, at these long-exposures. Got to two beaches yesterday that I'd been itching to visit for some LE's for ages now. Already had my shots in mind, went straight to where I imagined, fine-tuned my framings and POV's, took an exposure at 1/250th to verify my metering was accurate with the old LunaSix, then grabbed a 4.5 minute exposure at both locations. Job done in both cases with the first shot!

I probably could have spent ages at each location exploring other things, but my head was in the LE frame of mind and I didn't want to shift that focus. I'll be going back to both spots for some sunset shots in a while.

All in all, I only took 23 images visiting four locations. I had strict ideas already in mind for each venue and stuck to those, having already been to each before and investigated them thoroughly in the past.

Anyway, here is exhibit A.

_MG_9433-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest 16 Stop ND Filter, Manual/Bulb Mode, LunaSix Incident Metering
ISO 100, 24mm, f/11, 4.5 Minutes

Good luck getting the exhibition but with shots like this i think you should maybe get an exhibition all to your self, thats flipping brilliant. Agree with AFB, print it big and hang it on the wall.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm getting better, I think, at these long-exposures. Got to two beaches yesterday that I'd been itching to visit for some LE's for ages now. Already had my shots in mind, went straight to where I imagined, fine-tuned my framings and POV's, took an exposure at 1/250th to verify my metering was accurate with the old LunaSix, then grabbed a 4.5 minute exposure at both locations. Job done in both cases with the first shot!

I probably could have spent ages at each location exploring other things, but my head was in the LE frame of mind and I didn't want to shift that focus. I'll be going back to both spots for some sunset shots in a while.

All in all, I only took 23 images visiting four locations. I had strict ideas already in mind for each venue and stuck to those, having already been to each before and investigated them thoroughly in the past.

Anyway, here is exhibit A.

_MG_9433-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest 16 Stop ND Filter, Manual/Bulb Mode, LunaSix Incident Metering
ISO 100, 24mm, f/11, 4.5 Minutes

+1 from me. Print it large and hang it somewhere prominent for people to enjoy. Beautiful.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wedding band nestled in a blanket. :)
I thought it was a button!
[doublepost=1515176270][/doublepost]
It took me a while to go back and see that one again, i did 'like' it at the time but forgot about it, it is a close call but i still think the new one wins for me. I think it may be the line of light down the left, not sure but i do like it. Keep 'em comin'.

I went to Manchester a few months ago, admittedly i didn't take my camera but i did look around for potential shots i could take in the future, i was not impressed at all, there were a few photogenic subjects but not so much as to warrant a day out all the way 'up there' instead, i went to Birmingham. After viewing these i think i must've gone to the wrong places because i didn't see the canal basin at all and these are really nice shots, maybe i will go back after all. I'm sure all Mancunians will be very pleased to know i will be back!
Well done on these shots the BW works well and they're framed nicely too, lots of interest in the shot.

This one is great too, it's leading lines take you all the way into the picture and it really generates an interest, really well done on this one.

Library Walk
by another scotsman, on Flickr
[doublepost=1515170429][/doublepost]

Good luck getting the exhibition but with shots like this i think you should maybe get an exhibition all to your self, thats flipping brilliant. Agree with AFB, print it big and hang it on the wall.[/QUOTE]
Nice.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Another day, another long-exposure from me. This one's quite different to anything I've done before. Normally, my subjects are large and dominant in the scene, with a sense of disconnect to them. Which to me, is a parallel to my daily existence, living with auditory hallucinations and the sense of reality and illusion that's present as a result of these internal sensations I experience. With this one the subject is still dominant in the scene, but is actually quite small. The ripples and undulations at a local beach are the focus here, waiting till the sun had moved to a certain sort of spot in the sky so as to exaggerate them nicely, this was taken from nice and low down, which made for fun, kneeling on wet, slimy, undulating clay while I got the shot set up. I bought huge rubber kneepads for exactly this sort of scenario, but am still yet to actually remember to take them with me! :rolleyes:

This was also included as one of my four submission pieces, to give the adjudicating panel an idea of what my exhibition would be about. Writing a 150 word conceptual intention for the exhibition was the hardest part for me. I don't have years at university behind me with all that training on how to BS about your artworks! Some of the artists statements I've read over the years have really pushed my buttons, with major claims of ecological importance, community involvement or ethical qualities, and then the work is just a red line across a black canvas! :eek:

Anyway, here is exhibit B.

_MG_9435-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest 16 Stop ND Filter, Manual/Bulb Mode, LunaSix 3 Incident Metering
ISO 100, 24mm, f/10, 4.5 Minutes

[doublepost=1515184803][/doublepost]
Good luck getting the exhibition but with shots like this i think you should maybe get an exhibition all to your self, thats flipping brilliant. Agree with AFB, print it big and hang it on the wall.
Thanks, and it's something I am working on. To be part of this particular photography festival, you do actually have your own exhibition. There are normally about 40 exhibits for it, ranging from international mega-stars to lowly undiscovered locals.

+1 from me. Print it large and hang it somewhere prominent for people to enjoy. Beautiful.
Thanks, Ken, it's definitely one that I'll be printing out at A3+ size here at home. It's one that I do want to get printed as large as possible, and will work with a local fine-art printers to achieve this.

I thought it was a button!
Me too! In fact, I thought it was a button on a cardigan for some reason.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another day, another long-exposure from me. This one's quite different to anything I've done before. Normally, my subjects are large and dominant in the scene, with a sense of disconnect to them. Which to me, is a parallel to my daily existence, living with auditory hallucinations and the sense of reality and illusion that's present as a result of these internal sensations I experience. With this one the subject is still dominant in the scene, but is actually quite small. The ripples and undulations at a local beach are the focus here, waiting till the sun had moved to a certain sort of spot in the sky so as to exaggerate them nicely, this was taken from nice and low down, which made for fun, kneeling on wet, slimy, undulating clay while I got the shot set up. I bought huge rubber kneepads for exactly this sort of scenario, but am still yet to actually remember to take them with me! :rolleyes:

This was also included as one of my four submission pieces, to give the adjudicating panel an idea of what my exhibition would be about. Writing a 150 word conceptual intention for the exhibition was the hardest part for me. I don't have years at university behind me with all that training on how to BS about your artworks! Some of the artists statements I've read over the years have really pushed my buttons, with major claims of ecological importance, community involvement or ethical qualities, and then the work is just a red line across a black canvas! :eek:

_MG_9435-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest 16 Stop ND Filter, Manual/Bulb Mode, LunaSix 3 Incident Metering

Thanks, and it's something I am working on. To be part of this particular photography festival, you do actually have your own exhibition. There are normally about 40 exhibits for it, ranging from international mega-stars to lowly undiscovered locals.

Thanks, Ken, it's definitely one that I'll be printing out at A3+ size here at home. It's one that I do want to get printed as large as possible, and will work with a local fine-art printers to achieve this.

Yes that's what my mind saw to!
Loving Exhibit B. Overall I think yesterday's was a stronger image.
[doublepost=1515185680][/doublepost]
Spending a few days in the Peak District to celebrate Mrs MacRy's birthday. Went to a nice little pub for dinner:

39523737771_2113795633_k.jpg

M9 with Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm @F1.4
Is that a Spiders web?

Happy birthday Mrs MacRy!

Enjoy your break.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Yes that's what my mind saw to!
Loving Exhibit B. Overall I think yesterday's was a stronger image.
I feel that too, but there's some great contrasts going on in the one from today, I timed the tide just right, so as to get that white line off to the right and the froth (all that milky white) on the left. Thank god for apps that show the tides in real time, you can plan these things out well ahead of time.

Is that a Spiders web?
You're an evil man messing with his mind like that! ;)
[doublepost=1515187378][/doublepost]
Spending a few days in the Peak District to celebrate Mrs MacRy's birthday. Went to a nice little pub for dinner:

39523737771_2113795633_k.jpg

M9 with Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm @F1.4
Happy Birthday Missus MacRy! Hope it was a lovely meal and evening.

Reactions: MacRy

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

_MG_9435-X3.jpg

Alex, your work is amazing... thanks for sharing these gorgeous images... very nicely done!

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Alex, your work is amazing... thanks for sharing these gorgeous images... very nicely done!
Thanks so much! :) I just do what I enjoy doing, and sometimes, actually have a good idea that works out as well as I'd hoped!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

_MG_9435-X3.jpg

I have to say Exhibit A was amazing. Exhibit B however tzkes it up a level. Love that! Major picture envy here! Wow
[doublepost=1515194622][/doublepost]

_MG_9435-X3.jpg

Lol... the whole BS about taking a picture to represent the existential juxtapostion of modernist idealisms against traditional metaphorical society not your thing then no? - quick round of BS bingo before sleeps... i hate it when artists wax lyrical about some nonsense justification for their collection... pretentious ... but then you need something more than it was sunny and the light was nice on the rocks... lol good luck... two approaches, either try and be serious or be completely tongue in cheek.

:p:p:p

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I have to say Exhibit A was amazing. Exhibit B however tzkes it up a level. Love that! Major picture envy here! Wow
Thanks, Ken! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Lol... the whole BS about taking a picture to represent the existential juxtapostion of modernist idealisms against traditional metaphorical society not your thing then no?

:p:p:p
Yeah, there's that! :D

I think it's more the extolling of certain values and then they actually turn out to be rampant neo-liberalists peddling their laissez-faire economic liberalism ideals! :eek:

Actually, most artists statements confound me, especially when you can't even remotely see a glimmer of what they state within their pieces. :rolleyes:o_O:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.