Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Created my very first calendar from some of my favorite pictures I've taken over the years. Here's January.

1 January.jpg

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So last night, my brother in law and I went to the Falkirk wheel to see it at night lit up. We arrived to find it all locked up and the lights all off. We were crestfallen. Then to our luck, the night watchman arrived to let in a road gritting truck as we are expecting cold weather. We took the chance and asked him about the lights and if there was access allowed. He said no not really but checked us out with a few questions then said the best thing ever! He said, head in there lads and I will turn the lights back on for you. We had the place to ourselves and it was lit up wonderfully! Thank you to a great bloke for making our night!

DSCF5880.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
[doublepost=1515226043][/doublepost]
Created my very first calendar from some of my favorite pictures I've taken over the years. Here's January.

View attachment 745438

Wowzers! love that image!
[doublepost=1515226078][/doublepost]
Sorry, back to the cold.

Mate! you are making my knees ache!!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So last night, my brother in law and I went to the Falkirk wheel to see it at night lit up. We arrived to find it all locked up and the lights all off. We were crestfallen. Then to our luck, the night watchman arrived to let in a road gritting truck as we are expecting cold weather. We took the chance and asked him about the lights and if there was access allowed. He said no not really but checked us out with a few questions then said the best thing ever! He said, head in there lads and I will turn the lights back on for you. We had the place to ourselves and it was lit up wonderfully! Thank you to a great bloke for making our night!

Nothing like being in a great location and having it to yourself! Nice bloke. I hope you bought him an iron bru!
[doublepost=1515227111][/doublepost]

View attachment 745438
Lovely picture.

Reactions: kenoh

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

We visited the fallkirk wheel some years ago. Great piece of engineering and architecture. Do they operate it at night? Would be great to photograph the wheel turning in the dark.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK

Now that, sir, is one for the printer!

Cheers :)

Hugh

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Nothing like being in a great location and having it to yourself! Nice bloke. I hope you bought him an iron bru!
[doublepost=1515227111][/doublepost]
Lovely picture.

Top bloke. I slipped £20 and a thank you note into his office - bit crass. Should have made more effort to go get him something. It was magical to have it to ourselves. Well worth a visit if you are nearby.
[doublepost=1515228405][/doublepost]
Now that, sir, is one for the printer!

Hugh

Thanks mate.
[doublepost=1515228566][/doublepost]
We visited the fallkirk wheel some years ago. Great piece of engineering and architecture. Do they operate it at night? Would be great to photograph the wheel turning in the dark.

Amazing engineering isnt it?

So, yes and no. No it isnt in operation at night per se. However, as it is open until 8pm and it gets dark at around 4pm still right now, then the tour boats may operate in the dark during the winter months - so yes it would be possible I think but no, it isnt in operation at night - it is normally all dark.

Having said that you have got me thinking now what it would look like with a long exposure with the wheel in motion. Hmm... I bet that would be interesting!

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013

That's superb, Ken! What a fantastic opportunity for you both! :cool:

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England

Top bloke! What a fantastic opportunity and you made the most of it with a belter of a shot! Well done fella.

Mine today is along the man made water works theme - this is the Eyam Troughs in the village of Eyam in Derbyshire. They were constructed in 1588 and are possibly the first ever village in the country to have a public water supply. Eyam itself is a fascinating little village, which was unique in the country during the Bubonic Plague as it basically quarantined itself to avoid the plague spreading. They still lost 260 lives out of a population of 350. The little graveyard in the local church was fantastically atmospheric and spooky and would have made for some great photos had I not forgotten to charge my camera battery, resulting in only getting this one shot off before it died :( Stupid lying battery indicator!!

39506804762_d19b0d8bc4_k.jpg

M9 with Zeiss Planar 50mm @F4

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Top bloke! What a fantastic opportunity and you made the most of it with a belter of a shot! Well done fella.

Mine today is along the man made water works theme - this is the Eyam Troughs in the village of Eyam in Derbyshire. They were constructed in 1588 and are possibly the first ever village in the country to have a public water supply. Eyam itself is a fascinating little village, which was unique in the country during the Bubonic Plague as it basically quarantined itself to avoid the plague spreading. They still lost 260 lives out of a population of 350. The little graveyard in the local church was fantastically atmospheric and spooky and would have made for some great photos had I not forgotten to charge my camera battery, resulting in only getting this one shot off before it died :( Stupid lying battery indicator!!

Ooops.. M9 battery meter.... the joys!

Cracking shot! love the contrast and the tone.

Reactions: MacRy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Nice image and story. But the moral of the story is to always carry a spare!

Reactions: MacRy

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Ooops.. M9 battery meter.... the joys!

Cracking shot! love the contrast and the tone.

First time it has caught me out. Didn’t realise it worked the same as the Fuji battery meter - 100%.....98%......0%. What’s the point of even having one. Annoys me that they can’t get it right....it’s surely not that difficult to implement a relatively accurate meter.

Nice image and story. But the moral of the story is to always carry a spare!

Indeed! Every other camera I’ve owned I do that.....I just hadn’t got around to buying a spare for the M9....that’s about to change!

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
First time it has caught me out. Didn’t realise it worked the same as the Fuji battery meter - 100%.....98%......0%. What’s the point of even having one. Annoys me that they can’t get it right....it’s surely not that difficult to implement a relatively accurate meter.

Indeed! Every other camera I’ve owned I do that.....I just hadn’t got around to buying a spare for the M9....that’s about to change!

Lol... enjoy that purchase mate... two things:

1. It is £100 for a spare... bl**dy Leica!
2. It will read 50% full when fully charged.... it isnt... it is 150% full - I know the maths doesnt work but remember the situation that got you here...

I always carry a spare because quite frankly I havent got a clue what the meter is telling me... :)
[doublepost=1515258659][/doublepost]

Boo!!! no previews!!!

I vote that these images are the first entries in the POTD threads each month!!! so no sneaky peaky!

Reactions: oblomow

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Lol... enjoy that purchase mate... two things:

1. It is £100 for a spare... bl**dy Leica!
2. It will read 50% full when fully charged.... it isnt... it is 150% full - I know the maths doesnt work but remember the situation that got you here...

I always carry a spare because quite frankly I havent got a clue what the meter is telling me... :)
There are pattern batteries from the likes of Duracell for about 20 quid or under - you could buy a couple and still be money up...

Hugh

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
There are pattern batteries from the likes of Duracell for about 20 quid or under - you could buy a couple and still be money up...

Hugh

Absolutely. I never buy official branded camera batteries as they are ridiculously overpriced. Never had an issue with a cheap one either. Same with the chargers. Fuji chargers were about a hundred quid when I had one and I paid twenty for a cheap one that also came with a battery.

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.