Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Photo of the Day: July 2010

It is now July on the International Dateline

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary, and first posted in May, 2006 It was converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors and often exceeds 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest. No winners (or losers), either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post multiple images in one message.

*Quote with Thumbnails - If you quote an image that has tags, convert them to [img] tags before replying. This will post your comment with a thumbnail and save space. Failure to [img] in quotes is still a problem at this time. Help fix that.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. The Moderators like that. Observe the [img] policy here, too (especially).

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

Optional - Describe your photo.Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera; ISO; Focal Length; Shutter/Aperture; Lens.

For step-by-step procedures go to these PDF tutorials.

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8Y2IzMjdiMmMtNTc2MC00NWUwLThhZDEtYzYwODA0YTM4OWYz&hl=en"]Using ImageShack[/URL]

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8ZDUxNzIyM2EtM2M1Mi00YWVkLWFhZTUtYzU5YTEyMmMzOTdk&hl=en"]Using Flickr Revised[/URL]

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MTU0Yjk4MjMtNGRhYy00MGRkLWI2ZDMtMWUwYWM2NTZmNDkw&hl=en"]Using Quote and MultiQuote[/URL]

[URL="http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MmUxZjk3M2EtMDZiZS00ZmFlLWFmNDctNzY5MzNlNzA1MmJh&hl=en"]How to Edit Your Post[/URL]
[SIZE="1"]

(Apparently, this is how it's done these days. ;) )[/SIZE]

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The House That Time Forgot: Redux

ForgottenHouse2010.jpg

This photo sort of brings me full circle at the MacRumors photo forum. It's a retake of one I did in 2008, one of the very first images I ever posted to the Daily Thread. You can see my first version, posted in the June 2008 thread, here.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas

ForgottenHouse2010.jpg

This photo sort of brings me full circle at the MacRumors photo forum. It's a retake of one I did in 2008, one of the very first images I ever posted to the Daily Thread. You can see my first version, posted in the June 2008 thread, here.

I prefer the new version. Nice shot!!

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
Elf.jpg

Playing with my new t2i (first DSLR), no editing on this pic. Took a shot of the whole guy (who is kinda funny), but since there's only room for 1 pic in this thread, I decided on just the portrait shot and I'll leave it to your imagination what the rest of him looks like.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

I like that you used a time lapse to underline the fact that the house is bereft of care.

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts

ForgottenHouse2010.jpg

Beautiful image. It's neat the way you capture both the long-exposure headlights and the well-lit detail of the house. How'd you pull that off?
Greg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Beautiful image. It's neat the way you capture both the long-exposure headlights and the well-lit detail of the house. How'd you pull that off?
Greg

The short answer is that I used a tripod. But perhaps you're asking more about the lighting than the detail? I lit the house with three Speedlites, fired by Cybersyncs. Since I didn't have a fourth flash, I had to do a separate exposure and fire one of the three at the road in the foreground; that's how I got some light there too.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Thanks, NeGRit0. Yes, it's fair to say I've seen the light since then. Also purchased a few lights, which helps a lot. Used three Speedlites on that one, to be exact. ;)

Love your side note. It's so true: seeing the world through a photographic eye tends to make everything seem that much more beautiful. :)

Im taking a night photography class, and our recent assignment was 'moonlit' landscape. This was a test shot to find a good exposure(thats why the high ISO), but i really like the tail lights in it so i processed the best i could, but there was a fair amount of noise, and i think might focus might have been a little off as well. I have a couple more from this shoot that I'm still processing. I really like all the fun and interesting things you can do at night Light painting, in its vaguest sense, is extremely fun, but Las Vegas is pretty bright so you have to work quick with the shorter exposure times.

Exif Info:
Camera Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Exposure 30
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 41 mm
ISO Speed 1600

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Side note: Everyday I'm amazed at how studying photography has almost completely changed how I look at things and view the world.

A good way of putting it. The harder you look, the more you see...

Light, to me, is both superficial and profound; it illuminates surfaces, but there's something else happening too... that I can't really put into words. I can understand why so-called 'primitive' people worshipped the sun...

road1.jpg

dotmanuk

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
first time posting

long time lurker, first time poster on this thread...

a little polaroid action on my first trip stateside...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Looks a little bit blurry towards the top of the polaroid, but Grand Central is a pretty poorly lit, neat concept though, will definitely have to try this myself some time. Good job, and welcome to the thread, hope to see more submissions.

Yes, it is a fun concept, one explored pretty thoroughly by another forum member (posting as FrankieTDouglas). You may enjoy his take on the theme here: http://andybloxham.com/2008/photography/polaroids.shtml

I second the welcome to dotmanuk. Posting is much more fun than lurking, as I recently discovered myself. :)

Im taking a night photography class, and our recent assignment was 'moonlit' landscape. This was a test shot to find a good exposure(thats why the high ISO), but i really like the tail lights in it so i processed the best i could, but there was a fair amount of noise, and i think might focus might have been a little off as well. I have a couple more from this shoot that I'm still processing. I really like all the fun and interesting things you can do at night Light painting, in its vaguest sense, is extremely fun, but Las Vegas is pretty bright so you have to work quick with the shorter exposure times.
4750629575_789ce6ec01_z.jpg

Sounds like a really fun class. That little sliver of the moon in the shot is a real tease; the moon looks to be perfectly exposed and probably would add a lot to the image if it were fully present. I look forward to seeing your final version.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Cricket... I think.

ForgottenHouse2010.jpg

The difference is astounding. This is why I love POTD, it makes you want to take better images.

Here is mine for today. I just picked up a 1.5x extender for my 70-200 and took a few test shots. It's really hard to get a good image as the extender not only magnifies the image, but the deficiencies in the lens. I might be returning the extender as I have a line on a used 300mm 4L. Of course, I will try them together before making a decision. I may just need more patience.
tegniv

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

Exif Info:
Camera Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Exposure 30
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 41 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Nice shot - is that Nelson?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Valley of Fire National Park, outside Las Vegas

(D60, ISO 200, 50mm, f1.4, 66.7 seconds)​

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Nice shot - is that Nelson?

Yes!!! I wish I would have had more than the three hours my class was out there. Nelsons is like a photographers gold mine, no pun intended. Have you ever been shooting down there?

Thank you! Altough, I'm not sure im going to be able to salvage this pic, but I have one I'll be posting when i get back home, IMO it's better, and only needs a little adjusting in camera RAW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.