Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
4752371626_1cf6423915_b.jpg

San Francisco, CA

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Bored in the kitchen.

4752805030_4240c78a1e_b.jpg

Also, it's great to see you back Phrasikleia! I was sad when you left, having you back just seems right.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
lasvegas.jpg

Las Vegas as seen from The Palms.

Mind sharing the exif for this/these shots? Im particularly interested in focal length, aperture, shutter speed, and time of day. I have to shoot a cityscape for a class assignment, and it just so happens i live in Vegas. Thank you. :)

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Taken May 2010 in Sitka, AK

Canon Digital Rebel XTi

1/500

iso 125

using the kit 18-55mm lens

Kind of bugs me that the center of the flower isnt really in focus, but its still a pretty cool picture.

purple_1024.jpg

original image

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Yes!!! I wish I would have had more than the three hours my class was out there. Nelsons is like a photographers gold mine, no pun intended. Have you ever been shooting down there?

Thank you! Altough, I'm not sure im going to be able to salvage this pic, but I have one I'll be posting when i get back home, IMO it's better, and only needs a little adjusting in camera RAW.
Yeah I was there in January. I wanted to ask permission to do some photos on the property after the Sun went down. I drove down to the Colorado River and watched the sunset. Unfortunately by the time I got back everything was closed up. I'll definitely be going back - both to take those night shots I want and to drive some of the trails in the area.

What is this photography class you keep mentioning? Who is offering it?

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Okay guys, this is my absolute ever first post with my new DSLR. It was just a little rose bush outside. Sorry the flowers were so pitiful. It's all I could find to take a photo of at the moment. I am still adjusting to the camera, but I really like the control. I am trying not to rely on the auto settings, but my own tweaking and experimenting. I didn't use a tripod for this one, we were just walking around town my wife and I.

Canon Rebel XS
Shutter Speed: 1/512 second
Aperture: F/5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Date Taken: Jul 1, 2010, 1:07:51 PM

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 410

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Mind sharing the exif for this/these shots? Im particularly interested in focal length, aperture, shutter speed, and time of day. I have to shoot a cityscape for a class assignment, and it just so happens i live in Vegas. Thank you. :)

Sure, its a panorama from 11 shots. Only post done was cropping and cloning out some power lines. I'll give you the EXIF for the shot that comprises the middle of the panorama.

The shots were taken a few minutes after midnight. Focal length: 18mm; Aperture: f/3.5; Shutter speed: 1.8"; ISO 100

Its not perfectly sharp because I didn't have my tripod, so I set the camera on a concrete wall and pointed the lens up by resting it on my finger:p

Hope this helps, good luck with the assignment.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Quite the change from the ol' Point an Shoot, eh? Congrats on your purchase. :)

Yah it is! So many settings! hahah Every few hours I am finding out something new about dslr cameras. I still want a point and shoot again someday. I had to sell mine to pay for a bit of this but it was worth it. The depth of field you can get is just amazing. I'm having quite a bit of fun !

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Old school...

This isn't a great photo, and the light was really contrasty, but I wanted to show this old fishing vessel, emphasizing it's wooden construction. I'll probably go back in better light when I have more time, and get some cool detail shots of it... if it's still in port.

D300, 17-55f/2.8, 1/250sec, f/9.0, 17mm, ISO200

I wish I had time to comment on some of the really interesting images up so far this month, and to thank those who commented on some of my earlier postings, but I'm late hitting the road to Portland, so I'll just mention a few folks... Dale, and Phrasiklea and others... thank you. Also, Phrasiklea, VirtualRain, and NeGRit0... nice work with the light. That's clearly where the art of this medium has its heart, and you're tapping into that. I'll be back to comment on some other great images when I get home... :) cheers.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Bored in the kitchen.

4752805030_4240c78a1e_b.jpg
^^ The crop on the top is a bit tight and there is too much area below the subject, but this is over the top with creativity. Would make a cool desktop.

I'm jealous, thats the next lens i want to purchase. :p How you like it so far?
^^ It's one of the few purchases I have made that exceeds the hype. It's so sharp that it will force you to raise the bar on your photography. It's impossible to blame the equipment any more.

This isn't a great photo, and the light was really contrasty, but I wanted to show this old fishing vessel, emphasizing it's wooden construction. I'll probably go back in better light when I have more time, and get some cool detail shots of it... if it's still in port.

^^ Do you know anything about the background of this ship? A friend of mine had a wooden pleasure boat from the '40s. It was very interesting to say the least. Cruising Puget Sound with all it's deadheads and tugs towing miles of logs I came close to sinking it. Haven't had the helm of anything since...

^^ Great photo. This one really conveys the compressed space of Asian streets. Almost no English is the signs. Where was this taken?

Thanks to all for a great start to July.

Dale

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
What a great start to the PotD thread for July. It appears that Flickr changed how they handle pictures, will have to try to figure it out, so I will just upload mine for today.

Pan seared beef filet, bacon and cheddar potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and Sauce Bordelaise.

EXIF Summary: 1/6s f/8.0 ISO200 66mm (35mm eq:99mm)

Phrasikleia, welcome back. I really liked your picture to start the thread.

Designer Dale, please tell us more about your new lens! I want to get a macro lens, and I need to do more research on them.

Chef Jay

Attachments

• 2010-07-01 at 19-33-16.jpg
    2010-07-01 at 19-33-16.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 147

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Mendenhall-2.png

Mendenhall Glacier - Juneau, Alaska

3 pics taken with a Powershot sd870 1/400 ISO-80 Merged with Photoshop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.