Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
4756745576_268d9780b1_b.jpg

I like the way that we see the woodland through the girl's eyes; it's almost like the scene is something she's imagining...

What a beautiful building. What is the name of it, I'd like to look that up?

It's Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham (near Burnley in Lancashire).

I bought myself an iPad last week. Just 16gig (I don't plan on filling it up with music or films), but 3G, so I can stay connected when I'm on the road. I'll be using it as my 'portfolio': very handy for showing pix to people (I particularly like the way they can view the pix, at their own pace, while holding the iPad), and as part of my landscape photography workshops. I've already used it a workshop; it's great to illustrate some point I'm trying to put into words. I'm putting together some tutorials, so the iPad will play a big part in what I'm trying to do. Money well spent, I reckon...

Still life with postbox...

padihampostbox.jpg

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
lajolla1.jpg

Taken at La Jolla Beach near San Diego Ca with my Digital Rebel XTi

1/20sec
ISO-100
55mm w/ Kit Lens

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
4758817055_fc7ac03345_z.jpg

EXIF
Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture f/18.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
hot sweaty yoga, redux...

Hatha yoga class at Hot Yoga For Life, Portland, OR. I was going for a soft-ish, sweaty look.

D300, 17-55f/2.8, 1/500, f/4.0, 19mm, ISO800

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Beautifully lit... Hey, you're raising your game... :)

Thanks, Doylem. I am trying. :)

Also, it's great to see you back Phrasikleia! I was sad when you left, having you back just seems right.

Awww, shucks. Thanks, Abyssgh0st. It's this sense of community that makes sticking around so worthwhile. :)

Okay guys, this is my absolute ever first post with my new DSLR. It was just a little rose bush outside. Sorry the flowers were so pitiful. It's all I could find to take a photo of at the moment. I am still adjusting to the camera, but I really like the control. I am trying not to rely on the auto settings, but my own tweaking and experimenting. I didn't use a tripod for this one, we were just walking around town my wife and I.
attachment.php

Congrats on the new camera! Learning the technical side of things is a good place to start, so it's great that you're experimenting with different shooting modes. I think if there's one creative aspect of photography that you can develop quickly while learning about exposure, it would be composition. Remember that you're responsible for everything in the frame; if you don't want it in the frame, then it shouldn't be there. So I recommend you have a look a this photo you posted and think about what other angles you might have chosen to improve the composition by eliminating distractions.

I like how all of the people have their backs turned to us. It helps the eye plunge deep into the frame.

Nice balance of light and a lovely play of shadows on the building's arcade. The "Blue Period" (as I call it, not sure if there is a more standard name for it) has been my favorite time of day to make photos lately. You found a beautiful subject to treat during that period, but the strict symmetry of your composition is making the photo rather static. I think with these kinds of shots, it helps if there is one element in the frame to break up the symmetry and keep the eye moving. Others may disagree, of course.

Phrasikleia, welcome back. I really liked your picture to start the thread.

Designer Dale, please tell us more about your new lens! I want to get a macro lens, and I need to do more research on them.

Thanks, Chef. It's good to be back. :) I can comment on Dale's lens, since I have the same one. The main benefits of it, in my view, are that it doubles as a great, stabilized telephoto lens, and that it is weather-sealed. But if you don't need either of those things, you can save a lot of money by getting the non-L version.

C & C would be greatly appreciated on this one.

4753098983_d6f0ded441_z.jpg

OK, here goes: You chose a superb location. The old building and the old truck go perfectly together, and the ridge of hills in the background nicely leads the eye down to the building. Likewise, the (very bright) light trails lead us right to the building. Unfortunately, the dark exposure really obscures the building, and most of the building isn't even in the frame. So we have a lot to draw our attention to the building, but are denied the pay-off of actually getting to see it. The photo therefore favors the light trails, giving them pride of place and a commanding role in the exposure, but light trails rarely make good subjects on their own. They usually work best as leading lines and ambiance for something else.

Very interesting place to have a bonfire... it looks like it's made from wooden pallets. I'd be really afraid of climbing that thing to the top, no doubt. :eek: But all in all, a really neat shot. I'd like it even more if the tower wasn't centered so perfectly

^^I agree with everything he said.

Wonderful photo, though I'd crop in a bit at the top to remove the rather distracting roll-up shade. I hope someday, when I grow up, to live in a house with that kind of view. :::sigh:::

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Self Portrait

This was completely saved in photoshop, the original image was terrible, I really struggled to get good lighting.

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/3.2
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
The Old Post Office restored to its original look,Tilting Fogo Island Newfoundland

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 113

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Nothing special, but the Tour de France started today in my town, so i went to have a look. Here the mayor in front of the troops.
Glad to be back and to see Phrasikleia as well.

Tour2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.