Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Thanks TheReef and Doylem for comments on the leaf shot. Here's one for today:
b2v0hr

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
rotary-reading-garden-london-webb.jpg

Reading Garden - this was taken in March as the snow melted. It's going to be our location for the wedding ceremony in september. Cant wait

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
This is really rad - i've been drawn to them as well. Where is the simple guide you found online?

Stour Centre Park (Kent) Planet

Always loved the planet photoshops that I've seen, found a simple guide online, thought I'd give it a shot, enjoyed it a lot, but man it was fiddly in places. Plan on doing a few more once I'm back home. The 'original' size on flickr is only half size, it's 10,000 x 10,000 pixels & 50mb JPEG, had to scale down to save time when uploading.

EDIT: Just noticed a few glaring mistakes, I finished this at midnight after a very long day, but I'll replace the picture on flickr soon.

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 200

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
This taken on 1-22-2010 showing a little more snow... this is a HDR effort with 3 exposures.

780231079_9YTGK-XL.jpg

I really want to get out there for a sunset like you did...great shots!
Great clouds! We had some awesome weather this year. There were several days where I said to myself that I really should grab a camera and run out to Red Rock. Unfortunately I never made it.

By the way, the shots I posted were HDR as well. 5 & 6 exposures if I remember correctly. Too many imo but I'm still getting used to the tecnique.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

(50mm, f1.4, ISO 1600, 15 seconds)

A couple of months ago I modified a Nikon D70. I replaced the hot mirror with a clear filter so it now passes everything from IR to UV. Friday night I finally got out to take a couple test shots. I have never gotten a shot of the Milky Way even close to this. Not bad considering the amount of light polution coming from Las Vegas on the other side of the hill to my left.

There are a lot of problems with the shot. The exposure time was a bit long for a 50mm lens so the starts just started to streak. The larger, brighter stars are blown out and the image just seems a bit hazy overall. I want to try a different lens and a UV filter to try and clean up the haze.

The image was red shifted due to the missing IR filter. I did a little work with Photoshop's raw import module. Another thing I want to try is working with the white balance settings.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. The key will be to get the process down before I head up to Great Basin for the August meteor showers. :)

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just one in a series of shots took this solstice at the park.
4719568735_f79159e4eb_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/6.3
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Anyone know what species this is ?

4717887093_41d9dc307f_b.jpg

Welcome to the wide variations of blotched back snakes. Could be: )Eastern Fox Snake )Eastern Milk Snake )Northern Water Snake )Rat Snake or )Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. All are found in Ontario.

My money goes on Eastern Milk Snake based on the large splotches and alternating small ones on the sides. It's not a rattlesnake. The head's to narrow. Lucky you...:eek:

Dale

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Dale

Welcome to the wide variations of blotched back snakes. Could be: )Eastern Fox Snake )Eastern Milk Snake )Northern Water Snake )Rat Snake or )Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. All are found in Ontario.

My money goes on Eastern Milk Snake based on the large splotches

Dale

Yeah, I'm betting on the Eastern Milk snake as well. I've encountered one of those previously but not in the water. Most water bound snakes I've seen here have teeny tiny heads. Thanks for having a look and responding. I've never seen a Massasauga rattler. They're protected in this region.

Barry

iByrd441

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
My first time posting pics to a public audience. One is from my backyard, the others are some hdr from a place in Bermuda (where I am from) called Dockyard. Hope you enjoy and feel free to critique. I am a novice to photography

hibuscusbud20.jpg

Dockyard:

path1.jpg

Insidedockyardfinal.jpg

courtyard1.jpg

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Love it Steamie!
New camera I see, how is it?

Cheers Mate ... The new camera is great, vey similar in feel to the k10d but has it's own little quirks that I'm trying to get used to. Overall though it's been well worth the upgrade.

"Midsummers Nightmare"

The longest day of the year here and it was a lovely evening this one was taken at 10:40 in Portencross, Ayshire, Scotland.

Camera: Pentax K-7
Exposure: 1.3
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 16 mm
ISO Speed: 100

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
My first time posting pics to a public audience. One is from my backyard, the others are some hdr from a place in Bermuda (where I am from) called Dockyard. Hope you enjoy and feel free to critique. I am a novice to photography

Welcome. But please keep it to 1 photo per day. See more info in the starting post of this thread.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Behind a farm stand on U.S. Route 1 in York, Maine.

4717115728_3460bee3e6_b.jpg

Greg
^ I like the complimentary colors here. I would like to see more of the tractor tire, though. It seems a bit cut off. I had a design teacher who preached making the parts of an image look intentional. Avoid (try to) giving the impression that you weren't paying full attention to the composition in the viewfinder. This takes time to learn. Nice photo.

^ I really love the colors and simplicity of this photo. You made great use of shallow DOF without losing the detail in the flower. That's hard to do.

"Midsummers Nightmare"

The longest day of the year here and it was a lovely evening this one was taken at 10:40 in Portencross, Ayshire, Scotland.
^Georgous colors.
I almost bought the K-7, but it was just a bit too expensive. The build quality is impressive.

Dale

BTW: There seem to be more oversized image quotes this month that usual. If you are new to photo posting, please read the Guide that is linked in my sig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.