Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Just came back from an amazing trip to Japan. This is the Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto
attachment.php
^ Excellent photo. A lot of us would have missed the unique angle you shot this at. Being off balance really adds to the appeal. The colors work well.

^ I love all of the working ship photos you have presented for us. This is one of my personal favorites. Love the B&W treatment.

This was shot after the storm had receeded and the blue sky came out. You can still see a little rainbow at the end. Overall I like this shot very much. Aside some small curves adjustment nothing was done to this shot.

storm_contrast.jpg
^ Wonderful capture of the changing nature of the weather. Lovely colors and great framing.

Gee Whizz folks! Everyone is thumbnail quoting!

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Firstly, thanks so much to everyone for the hearty welcome back. Missed you guys. Obviously. :)

Secondly, a photo for today, taken near the island of Thasos:

SeagullSquadron.jpg

It's hard picking a photo to share when I haven't shared any for four months. Shot that one last week.

Finally, to answer the questions about the flower photo:

NeGRit0: I used two Speedlites, one camera left and one in my hand, which I fired repeatedly and from different angles over the course of a 15-second exposure: the poor (wo)man's solution to having only two light sources. ;)

pdxflint: It's an Iris, a really big, thick-stalked one that kindly remained dead still for the long exposure. Your nice description matches well with my intention: I wondered what it would look like if a flower were trying to escape from the garden.

Designer Dale: Yep, I used a zoom lens, the 17-40mm f/4L. It's actually the one pictured in my new avatar.

Lots of great shots on the last page. Good to see the forum as inspiring as ever. :)

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Playing with lights (and my little niece) on a hot summer afternoon

MelisaOnASwing.jpg

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Focal length: 17mm
Exposure: 1/180s
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO: 200

I really like the color splash with the poppy and the dry rocks and blue sky, but I think it would have been a little better with the poppy completely against the blue sky... but nice!

Thanks for the comment. I wanted to get the flower against the blue sky but unfortunately this was as close and low as I could get.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Snack time. Tiger Swallowtail near the Yakima River, Yakima Washington. Can anyone identify the flower?

tigerswallowtail1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/6.3 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@75mm

Dale

dengar169

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
^ Excellent photo. A lot of us would have missed the unique angle you shot this at. Being off balance really adds to the appeal. The colors work well.
Thanks for that Dale! Just starting to get into this whole photography bit and so far am enjoying every second of it :)

Panorama of Dotonburi Canal in Osaka

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't ever shoot portrait, but meh, I'll try it this time. Vignette added for that extra portait-y look:D.
4744097199_3de7affb46_z.jpg

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 21 mm
ISO Speed 500

sprtnbsblplya

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Arlington, VA
First HDR ever, obviously needs some work but I'll get there. Shadows need to be darker, shot was stabilized on the bridge railing, I'll take the tripod with me next time, atmosphere was extremely hazy due to a thunderstorm and ridiculous humidity.
This is of Georgetown University from Key Bridge. It pretty much sums up how I feel about Gtown after I received my first tuition bill.

GU-HDR.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Firstly, thanks so much to everyone for the hearty welcome back. Missed you guys. Obviously. :)

Secondly, a photo for today, taken near the island of Thasos:

SeagullSquadron.jpg

It's hard picking a photo to share when I haven't shared any for four months. Shot that one last week.

If there was a difficult choice, then you've got to have a heck of a lot of awesome shots!

Welcome back!

Paul

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If there was a difficult choice, then you've got to have a heck of a lot of awesome shots!

Welcome back!

Paul

Thanks, compuwar. :) I must say, to receive a compliment from you of all people for a bird-in-flight shot is very gratifying! It's embarrassing how many shots I took to get that one. :eek:

I keep coming back to this one. It's a superb use of black-and-white. I just love how the people align with the bright spot on the water. I also happen to love boats in general, so this shot really gets me.

This is my first time sharing a picture here, i hope you like it.

This was shot with a 580 EX II shot through a 32" white umbrella camera left.
4703061896_5b776997c5_b.jpg

I'm really enjoying the color palette here. I don't know whether or not you did something to make the colors in the sky echo your model's shirt color, but if you did, it was a great decision.

OK, I just started going through this thread and found myself having a knee-jerk reaction to comment on a ridiculous number of photos. I'll stop myself here before I get carried away. :p Suffice it to say there are a lot of wonderful shots in this thread!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

I've seen plenty of seagull pics but this one really stands out. I especially like how we're looking the seagull eye to eye, at the same level, a bit dramatic if you will :p

Playing with lights (and my little niece) on a hot summer afternoon

MelisaOnASwing.jpg

Most shots of family are nice, but I really like how you've captured the scene with light and shade, I can almost feel the heat. Great job.

Snack time. Tiger Swallowtail near the Yakima River, Yakima Washington. Can anyone identify the flower?

tigerswallowtail1.jpg

Dale

Nice shot Dale, but I'm really tempted (so tempted I actually went ahead and did it myself :p) to bump the saturation up a notch on this one. :)

Panorama of Dotonburi Canal in Osaka

You've captured the atmosphere well here, I can see this in letterbox.

Great shot!

Newport, Oregon.

D300, 17-55f/2.8, 1/1000sec, f/6.3, 38mm, ISO400

Nice shot Phil, I like how ripple trail brings you in.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Most shots of family are nice, but I really like how you've captured the scene with light and shade, I can almost feel the heat. Great job.

Thanks! We were having fun with off-camera lighting. I used a 3-stop ND and a CPL to get the ambient dark enough for the flash to make the subject pop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.