Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I really, really like this image but can't help but think it needs the verticals straightened. Maybe it's just me.

Agree it is a beautiful image. Maybe a smidge too saturated and yes I too think it is leaning to the left a tad. Having said that it could be the angle of the land tricking us.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Out To Sea
June 2017

I was at Killantringan Bay on Wednesday night with the purpose of getting my photo taken for an upcoming magazine feature. A local Pro photographer I know was tasked with getting the shots done and we had a good laugh - as I'm usually behind the lens, not in front of it!

Anyway, after the shoot I decided to go down to the shore as a sea harr was sweeping across and the light began to change nicely. It was refreshing to have the completely untouched beach to myself for once. There are usually footsteps everywhere which reduces the chance of finding a nice composition due to a lack of unspoilt sand. The tide had went out during our shoot and not a single person came down that night - just as well as I'd have been mega-embarrassed being seen posing with my gear for the photoshoot!

Anyway, I was looking for lines and patterns to form another 'quiet' seascape. Quite a bit up from where I'd normally shoot and with the good fortune of having untouched sand, these 3 smooth rocks aligned rather nicely, taking the eye out to sea.

I'm really pleased with the outcome, and it would seem others are as well - I've got 3 prints on order already and it nearly set fire to my phone this morning with comments, 'Likes' and notifcations on my facebook photography page. All in all, it was a successful night!

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.9 Neutral Density Hard Graduated filter and 0.6 Proglass solid Neutral Density filter.

15s / f11 / ISO 100

Out To Sea.png

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Out To Sea
June 2017

I was at Killantringan Bay on Wednesday night with the purpose of getting my photo taken for an upcoming magazine feature. A local Pro photographer I know was tasked with getting the shots done and we had a good laugh - as I'm usually behind the lens, not in front of it!

Anyway, after the shoot I decided to go down to the shore as a sea harr was sweeping across and the light began to change nicely. It was refreshing to have the completely untouched beach to myself for once. There are usually footsteps everywhere which reduces the chance of finding a nice composition due to a lack of unspoilt sand. The tide had went out during our shoot and not a single person came down that night - just as well as I'd have been mega-embarrassed being seen posing with my gear for the photoshoot!

Anyway, I was looking for lines and patterns to form another 'quiet' seascape. Quite a bit up from where I'd normally shoot and with the good fortune of having untouched sand, these 3 smooth rocks aligned rather nicely, taking the eye out to sea.

I'm really pleased with the outcome, and it would seem others are as well - I've got 3 prints on order already and it nearly set fire to my phone this morning with comments, 'Likes' and notifcations on my facebook photography page. All in all, it was a successful night!

Fuji X-T2 with XF 16-55mm f2.8 lens using LEE Filters 0.9 Neutral Density Hard Graduated filter and 0.6 Proglass solid Neutral Density filter.

15s / f11 / ISO 100

View attachment 704291
Congratulations! And well done on a truly sublime image.

Reactions: Mark0 and Hughmac

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Out To Sea
June 2017

15s / f11 / ISO 100

View attachment 704291

That is so nice it almost makes me weep! seriously it is just the type of image I want to take. One day... one day... keep trying

Reactions: Mark0

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Congratulations! And well done on a truly sublime image.

Thanks, I was surprised when the magazine wanted to do a feature. It's all because I'm running my second solo exhibition in September at Logan Botanic Garden which is a rather prestigious location down this way. They wanted to promote it for the good of the area where I live which was nice. I might share a scan of the feature once it's published so you can all see how it turns out.

That is so nice it almost makes me weep! seriously it is just the type of image I want to take. One day... one day... keep trying

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it!
Words and comments I've had to describe this have been "serene" "peaceful" "calming" "immersive" "feels like I'm there" and even "I find the emptiness, haunting and quite scary." but nobody has wanted to weep! It's all about interpretation.
Honestly, my best advice is look for patterns and lines that lead the eye. If you notice something - you do so for a reason - check it out further and see what works. These three rocks only aligned in a certain way and I spotted them from around 50m away before I saw the potential. I love it compositionally because it's so well balanced. The square framing makes the shot and I'm finding myself setting the X-T2 to a 1:1 ratio with grid lines and electronic level in the EVF and LCD more often these days.

So peaceful...

Thank you :)

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks, I was surprised when the magazine wanted to do a feature. It's all because I'm running my second solo exhibition in September at Logan Botanic Garden which is a rather prestigious location down this way. They wanted to promote it for the good of the area where I live which was nice. I might share a scan of the feature once it's published so you can all see how it turns out.

Words and comments I've had to describe this have been "serene" "peaceful" "calming" "immersive" "feels like I'm there" and "I find the emptiness, haunting and quite scary" but nobody has wanted to weep! It's all about interpretation.
Honestly, my best advice is look for patterns and lines that lead the eye. If you notice something - you do so for a reason - check it out further and see what works. These three rocks only aligned in a certain way and I spotted them from around 50m away before I saw the potential. I love it compositionally because it's so well balanced.

Thank you :)

Weep in a joyous way... It is beautiful...

mollyc

macrumors G3
Aug 18, 2016
Appreciate the sentiment.

Will not go into my point of view further.

I have all the time I could imagine having.

The only limitation, as you point out is my attitude.

Ahh well; it is good to see you all out and about. You never know I may just take the odd picky before popping off.

Sorry; inappropriate.

I'll post a pic. or two next week. Maybe.

Regards. Sharkey

ps: thank you Mollyc for the kind comment.

I guess I am confused, but I hope you have a nice weekend away with your wife. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Out To Sea
June 2017

15s / f11 / ISO 100

View attachment 704291
Nice composition. Well done.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I really, really like this image but can't help but think it needs the verticals straightened. Maybe it's just me.

Agree it is a beautiful image. Maybe a smidge too saturated and yes I too think it is leaning to the left a tad. Having said that it could be the angle of the land tricking us.

Well , I really wanted to see the Leaning Tower in Pisa , but I don't like crowds .

Seriously , the image is playing games with your heads. The only real vertical is the top shadow in the center 'finger' . Superimpose a grid on it ( I used the one in the Photoshop CS6 lens correction section , changed to a lurid green for this)
and its real close to vertical .

gridfinger.jpg

There's just too much going on here .... eroded sandstone pillars , ripples in the sand , a landscape that slopes downward from right to left . It's even more so when you're there in person . This location ( in Monument Valley) is not accessible to the general public as it requires passing through some privately owned parcels . I retained one of the local Navajo guides to take me out before dawn to try to get some sunrise photos of the Valley . This image was taken right after daybreak , maybe 6:30 - 7 A.M.. The low light brought up both the contrast in the sand and accentuated the reds in the sandstone so I didn't have to play around with boosting reds/oranges , though I did bring up the blue in the sky to pop out the clouds a bit . Half an hour later , the sun was up a bit , and all the shadows and color flattened out .

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Similar to the one I posted yesterday, but a little earlier in the evening (12 minutes to be precise!). In that short period of time the light dramatically changed which had a fairly significant effect on the colors. Not sure which one I prefer.

35180834312_eca80970ab_b.jpg

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Swimming pool handrail.

34525411843_c374979ac9_b.jpg
Love this. Nicely done.
Out To Sea
June 2017

15s / f11 / ISO 100

View attachment 704291
That's a belter of a shot. Great job.

Reactions: Mark0 and kallisti

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

fresh out of the press

tried to give this image a cinematic feel, as if this guy was in front of a lit fridge, full with green beer bottles, or something that emits similar light. original pic is just a warm portrait with a dark background

crop of a portrait, widened/filled towards the right
no weird swanky filters, just color calibration in ps/camera raw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.